Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#19491 01-28-2006 03:39 AM
Ryno Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello my name is Ryno, 48,3yrs since first diagnosed with Squamous Cell cancer of the tongue.First posting wish I had this forum when I was undergoing treatment.First let me say my heart goes out to all of you dealing with oral cancer.Ive been through it all,Double radiation,Chemo Loss of hair and teeth,Lost half of my body weight,PEG tube ,Still only drink liquid,But... Im ALIVE!!!!Im 18 months out of treatment, tumor gone,last scan showed no sign of cancer.As I look back on the whole ordeal the best advice I could give you all is...POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE!!!!!!Yea I know easy for me to say.But deep inside I know it was the only thing that kept me going..It used to tear me up at the cancer center,I would look into the eyes of the other patients and you could see the fighters and the ones who gave up.They didnt make it.Just when you think you cant go on with anymore treatment..sick of pukeing your guts out..sunburnt skin..worst sore throat ever,when ya swear one more can of Ensure and you will end it yourself,and this crap in your mouth you could use as industrial adhesive!!You gotta look that evil bastard"Squamous" in the eye and tell yourself he's not gonna win!!!Im not making lite of all the suffering you all are going through. Remember Ive been there..Positive Attitude,Good support group,And keep stuffing food down that PEG tube no matter how much comes back up..Ill cut this first post short..You gotta read my next post.The story how I discovered my cancer,Its a classic case of denial and procrastination,Ill post it soon..Anyone with quetions or comments ect. please reply..With such a great forum Im not sure if I can help but im here.

L8R Ryno

Ryno
#19492 01-28-2006 10:08 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Ryno:
I too, still have my peg tube. Only now it is a (Foley type)G-tube and they replace it frequently. I agree a positive attitude is essential. No down side, look death in the face and laugh, unafraid.
Darrell

Stage 3, T3,N1,M0,SCC, Base of Tongue. No Surgery, Radiationx39, Chemo, Taxol & Carboplatin Weekly 8 Treatments 2004. Age 60. Recurrence 2/06, SCC, Chest & Neck (Sub clavean), Remission 8/06. Recurrence SCC 12/10/06 Chest.
#19493 01-28-2006 11:54 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Ryno:

Thanks for your post! I was recently diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the tongue. They surgically removed the tumor in my tongue (it was a T1) and I had a neck dissection--many of my lymph nodes were also removed. After the surgery, the pathology report came back clean--i.e., no cancer in the lymph nodes. However, I'm part of a study and my lymph nodes were further examined. In a second and more thorough pathology report, they found a microscopic "speck" of cancerous cells in one of my sentinel lymph nodes, and the doctor has recommnended radiation. Many of the members in this forum have urged me to go ahead with the radition, so I will likely take the plunge and go with the radiation treatment.

I admire the fact that you managed to keep a positive attitude throughout your ordeal. Frankly, I find that the most difficult. I have my days, but I'm basically still in shock and often angry (and sometimes depressed) that this has happened to me.

Please keep posting. Your post gave me strength.

regards,
Gino

#19494 01-28-2006 12:22 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Ryno,

Welcome to the site. I found it a few months ago. You will meet no better people that there are on this site.

Gino,

It's natural to be angry in shock and depressed. Once the shock wears off, you realize that you need to make some very important decisions.

I also had my choice of going through radiation or not. I went with it. I will not sugar coat it. The radiation was bad. But it also gave me the best chance for long term survival. So for me there was no decision to make. I did not want to increase the odds of reocurrence.

It's just like a fight. When you have your opponent hurt, FINISH them off. That's the attitude that I took. I wasn't about to let cancer dictate to me who I was. Take the anger that you feel and fight back as hard as you can.

Good luck with your treatments,

John

SCC base of tongue. Diagnosed as stage IV, Sept. '04. Partial glossectomy, Radical neck dissection left side, 37 Radiation sessions, Chemo x 7 weeks. Finished treatments January '05. Cancer surivor!
#19495 01-28-2006 07:18 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Gino - Go for broke with the treatment. Hit it with everything they have. Our cancer is sneaky and can hide in the shadows from the surgeons.

Attitude is really, really important. Turn the fear and the hurt into angry and use it. Stick your chin out at the beast and smile. Get focused and fight hard. Be strong. Tom

SCC BOT, mets to neck, T4.
From 3/03: 10wks daily multi-drug chemo,
Then daily chemo with twice daily IMRT for 12 weeks - week on, week off. No surgery. New lung primary 12/07. Searching out tx options.
#19496 01-28-2006 07:22 PM

Ryno - Welcome. Thanks for posting and sharing a bit of your story. There are many, many like it here. You are in very good company. Imagine how good it would have felt to you if you had gotten some encouraging posts from other "bretheren"?? You can do that for folks here. I'll look forward to hearing your whole story. Be strong. Tom

SCC BOT, mets to neck, T4.
From 3/03: 10wks daily multi-drug chemo,
Then daily chemo with twice daily IMRT for 12 weeks - week on, week off. No surgery. New lung primary 12/07. Searching out tx options.
#19497 01-28-2006 08:47 PM
Ryno Offline OP
OP Offline

Yo Gino...I feel your making the right choice.Please feel free to e-mail me personally and Ill help you through it..Let ya know what to expect..And some preventitive steps.

L8R Ryno
[email protected]

Ryno
#19498 01-29-2006 03:43 AM

Hello friends,

I want to thank everyone for their encouraging words--please know that reading your posts did me a lot of good. It feels great to be in touch with people who have already gone through what I'm currently experiencing. Although I don't know any of you, I feel close to all of you.

Ryno, I might just take you up on the offer--thanks! smile

Gino

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users