Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#19366 01-17-2006 09:37 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I have to say that I do agree with Glenn (the only "pussycat" I know that carries a Glock) but I need to point out that what Brian posted was slightly incorrect in that Darrell's exact wording was taken from AA which is, in fact, a non-religious but spiritual program. "Higher power" could be a doorknob. I haven't heard yet of the "1st church of doorknob" (heh heh)

Danny Boy- great to see you back on the forum - I hope that you are feeling well these days (and you too Glenn)! (for those of you who are new here - these 2 guys are the MOST courageous on the board. (If I was in combat - these are the guys I would want on my 6)

Oh, and welcome Yipes. We are a family here and have occasional spats on the best ways to help people. At least its never boring. Diversity is a beautiful thing.

Boy do I have to agree with you on the sanity thing! Insanity has been defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome" - maybe Darrell has a good point on the worrying part of it. I have found that the further I get from Tx the less I think about cancer thing all the time - but the docs keep stirring up the pot with every needle stick, scope, scan and exam. I least I have almost 4 months now between anxiety attacks

We're here for you.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#19367 01-18-2006 03:11 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

I don't know if iI should thank you guys for the support, or what.

Gary, it was more the choice of advice so early on in the thread. Darrel seems to be, and his past posts have indicated that his higher power is God. We have been through this before and, although I occasionally attend mass, I am not deeply religious. My point is that, unless the original posts asks for spiritual guidance and support, the reply should be contain valuable medical advice and experiences. That is the appropriate higher power at this juncture. Just my acerbic writing style. Plus, I got the entire "Old Guard" to post in one topic! I should get props for that. I guess you are all Cat people.

As a final thought on the worry, I had a new MRI brain study on Monday and got........not great news yesterday. I have developed an additional Brain metasteses. It is not at the site of the two I had surgically removed in June and it is very small. It will be gone next week by Gamma Knife. My point is that unwarranted worry is not healthy, but once you have issues they can never be ovelooked. After an initial honeymoon of 16 months I have had H and N cancer EVERWHERE it is know to travel and it can be successfully fought. At 3.5 years I look, less 18 pounds lighter, the same and have no eating issues. Danny, please don't kill me for this, was told he would be gone long ago. He is not and he is doing well. Get your scans as directed, the PET will be the one to save you, listen to your doctors and carry on with the new normal. Worry? Yes, when you have reason to. You will never enjoy your second chance if all you do is worry about when it ends. I'm different, Danny is different, and I'm sure many others that I don't speak with are having issues. We know where we are going, just not when, that is OUR diffence Try to keep it all in perspective. It is the only way to make it with your sanity.

I do not normally post my health issues and I would like that aspect of my post to slip away, on the forum anyway. PM's are OK for question on various metastases and related treatments.

#19368 01-18-2006 03:10 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Speaking of getting the old guard together, there are a number of long term posters I haven't seen in awhile. If you are one of those, who have been AWOL from the board for awhile, how about just a one liner to say that life is good and you are taking some time away from the constant, perhaps negative reminder the board may pose to your emotional well being. I think of a lot of you as family... I'd like to know things are well and good.

Bye the way, Gary may be right in his perspetive about this particular post, but like Glenn has said, some have made their belief systems evident in past posts. I just don't want to see another religious free for al on here.

But in the interest of providing a alternative religious perspective, I'm thinking of starting a church if there are any undecided souls out there. I'm thinking of calling it something like "Our Lady of Perpetual Whinners." Clearly the really tough like Glenn and Danny won't be found in attendance but any others, who like me feel the need for an alternative that adresses our demeanor.... feel free to join.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#19369 01-18-2006 03:27 PM

And for those of you that think Greg is a 'pussy cat', as a life time owner of the beasts, remember that they come with claws and teeth if you betray their trust. Otherwise, they are the most loving of animals.

I'd like to get this thread back to the original topic of life as a total laryngectomee. There are not too many of us on the board and I think it is an important topic. I have recently been in private correspondence with a member of this board who most likely had her surgery yesterday. She has told none of her friends she has cancer and is attempting to do this on her own. She is scared. I know the feeling.

I am here to help anyone I can. Please ask any questions you have about life after this surgery, and I will attmept to answer. While I have said you can email me, unless you really need an answer immediately, I think addressing the topic on the forum may benefit future members better and current lurkers.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
#19370 01-20-2006 12:01 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

hi yike. you can join my choir haha if we dont laugh we will cry .i am also a laryngectomee .yes ive gone through everthing you mention ,its been 8 months since op;and i still stuggle but i believe there is light at the end of the tunnel its a long road this one, this op made my bilateral mastectomy like a walk in the park ...no disrespect to anyone this is certainly a tough one i sometimes think i will wake up from a nihtmare.we must remain strong and positive to fight this the beast of beasts GRRRRRR TAKE CARE YIKES best wishes as you travel the road ...maz

#19371 01-20-2006 04:17 AM

I like that! "Our Lady of Perpetual Whiners", I am a former Catholic and it goes hand in hand with my old alma mater "Our Lady of Perpetual Guilt". I used to be very judgemental about this until I discovered that America in general is a "guilt" based culture in contrast to "shame" based Asian cultures.

I agree with you Glenn, it was way too early in the thread for that particular post- I was merely addressing a very small technical detail. And I certainly agree that religion or proselytizing has no place here (unless of course, the original poster starts it).

I've been a Christian for many years, play in the worship band at a 3,000+ member church and I am a Lay Christian Counselor as well and I try to leave religion at the door when I come here out of respect for the diversity of people who visit the forum.

Glenn you have convinced me that I am going to DEMAND annual PET/CT at my 3 1/2 checkup in May.

Yipes - I am truly sorry that this has gone so far off topic and I hope, if anything, that this banter has, at least, brought you a smile or two. We are all less than perfect human beings and not "computer generated" help.

For the "Old Guard" I started that "survivor check in" thread a while back as a central repository for positive outcomes to balance out the "doom and gloom" aspects. Please avail yourselves to put a note in there as well.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics