Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

dw,
Sorry, I am just noticing your post. I've been out of commission for a while. We lost my 32 year-old brother to oral cancer about 3 weeks ago. He used smokeless tobacco for a number of years. If you have any questions I would be glad to assist if I can. My sister has done quite a bit of research on the connection, as well. There are 28 known carcinogens used in smokeless tobacco - some for preserving the product - that include formaldehyde, arsenic and even imbalming fluid. I will post a complete list, I just don't have it with me right now. You also need to be aware that consuming alcohol in combination with either smoking tobacco or "dipping or chewing" tobacco increases your odds of getting oral cancer by 60%. The alcohol strips your system, allowing the cancer causing chemicals to be more easily obsorbed. Please keep me update on your health. I would like to know how your biopsy turned out.

Sister of 32 year-old oral cancer victim. Our battle is over but the war rages on. My brother passed July 26, 2005. He was a smokeless tobacco user.
dw Offline OP
OP Offline

Wanted to post that my brush biopsy came back "atypia" and I was referred to a doctor (oral maxofacial?)for a scalpel biopsy to either rule out or confirm cancer cells. This doctor felt based on "his" oral exam (I saw him twice 2wks apart) that a scalpel biopsy at this time would be too invasive and put me in a "keep watch" mode then sent me on my way. Upon his exam he noted a condition - don't remember the medical term, but is much like getting a scab on a skin wound - my body is putting up a "protective barrier" to an irritant (tobacco) - actually also had an ENT tell me the very same thing a month or so ago. He said if I see anything that I can't scrape off or won't go away on its own to see him again. Because I complained of different (some painful) symptoms (sores - patches, burning, sandpapery feel, etc.) that seem to come'n go in mouth and neck area (painful small lumps), he told me that he tells all his patients that if there is ever pain associated or if the symptoms come and go - it's likely it isn't cancer.

At a very recent followup dental cleaning (had been just over a month I think since I saw him last - he did not re-check mouth nor did hygentist perform a thorough oral exam)it was recommended that I have a tooth worked on because it has a very large filling and xrays showed trama to the root (my dental insurance is maxed out from dental work done in January)- told me to make an appt for that tooth and sent me home with whitening trays which I read somewhere you shouldn't use whitening products if you have leukoplakia(sp) - or most mouth washes due to the alcohol in them. I should note that the brush biopsy was not done in the area where I was told 3yrs ago I had leukoplakia but was an entirely different area.

I didn't make the appt. for the dental work - think I'll wait a bit as this tooth does not bother me. I plan to sneak in another follow-up appt. with a different ENT that I haven't seen in months just to get his take on things since it has been a while since I've seen him in particular.

If anyone knows of any proven/thorough doctors or dentists in the Colorado area, please let me know - often feel like at times I'm seeing the wrong people.

"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

dw,

I take exception to at least one thing your ENT said. Unfortunately, there are still people out there perpetrating the myth that if it's painful it's not cancer (I had an oral pathologist at a major dental school tell me that just a couple of months before I was diagnosed with cancer). There are some members on this forum who had painless lumps, while others were extremely painful, so trying to make a determination on that basis seems to me to be pointless.

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989
dw Offline OP
OP Offline

Cathy -

I didn't really buy into that pain thing when he told me that but at the time was exactly what I wanted to hear of course. Is yet another reminder to me how spooky it is to seek treatment and/or early detection & diagnosis.

Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Just a note.
My brother's was very painful and he was barely able to chew. This was all BEFORE radiation or surgery.

Sister of 32 year-old oral cancer victim. Our battle is over but the war rages on. My brother passed July 26, 2005. He was a smokeless tobacco user.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

DW

I too, take exception to the theory that if it hurts, it's not cancer. My tongue did hurt.

You don't mention that you have stopped chewing. For your sake and for your loved ones, PLEASE STOP!!!! What are you waiting for????

Seems like you ARE seeing the wrong people. As a dentist I am telling you that I think it's time for you to find another dentist. If you were just there and neither your dentist nor hygienist did a head and neck exam and oral cancer screening, they should be history. Also, whitening your teeth right now should be at the bottom of your to do list.

Find someone to do that scalpel biopsy. I don't understand why it is being put off. And did I mention....get rid of the tobacco?

Jerry

PS

Putting off treating a tooth because it doesn't bother you or because your insurance has been used up are not good reasons for delaying treatment.

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
dw Offline OP
OP Offline

Jerry - (I have a lot to say so hang on)

I did get the name of Dr. xxx, from Brian who is supposed to be an expert in his field so will try to make an appt. with him.

In the wee hours last night, I stumbled across some info on this site (somewhere?) in relation to the "protective barrier" condition I've been told on two occassions that I have going on in my oral cavity - if I understood what I read correctly - this "barrier" process is precisely the time when healthy cells become evermore weakened making it easier for any cancerous cells to form and take over. When I was told of this condition it was presented to me in a very non-alarming fashion, but if I'm understanding this new information correctly this is a condition that should be taken more seriously. Hopefully, I can see this other doctor/dentist that Brian mentioned and he'll be better educated/experienced to address that with me.

You're right in assuming I haven't "quit" my tobacco addiction "for good" as of yet - have quit many times only to start back up. I am stocked up with so many aids - gums, patches, herbal aides, etc....- could open my own NRT store. I don't understand why quitting for good has been so difficult - especially with the emotional turmoil and ongoing questionable health concerns it has caused - seems like it should be a no-brainer - decide to quit, do it and never look back. I am continually/constantly working on it - have tapered off these past few days and set a goal to be completely tobacco free come next week (yikes! and hooray! all at once). Thank you for sticking it to me so-to-speak about that - it helps alot.

Although, more appropriate for "another" support group - want to share anyway: Any and all kinds of addictions are evil monsters not easily understood or conquered. Have to be ever so careful not to judge others - saw an older woman once with type 2 diabetics not doing so hot healthwise at a childrens party totally submerse herself into the sweets once everyone (or "thought" - she didn't know I was there) left the room. Initially "I" (of all people) was being judgmental of her and felt rather angry at her and wanted to get after her, perhaps I should have said something, but instead quietly walked away saying a prayer for her on my way out. Although, very young at the time recall visiting my alcoholic/heavy smoker aunt in the hospital looking like death on more than one occassion yet she continued to drink and smoke. She is no longer with us - had back to back surgeries for tongue and breast cancer and her body couldn't deal with it and left us quietly in the night at her home alone. I'm no better - am an addict too.

I've certainly become more educated in recent days, weeks & months on the ill effects of my own addiction - smokeless tobacco is often said to be safer or the lesser of the two evils - I'm still hearing that today from professionals I've seen recently). The thing I have going "today" is that there still is a thread of hope. I haven't "officially" been diagnosed with cancer as of yet and whether or not that's due to poor care so far, don't know that for sure. But it is a thread of hope and I know I need to take that hope and run with it - turn my lifestyle around.

Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

If you are diagnosed and still can't quit, I would be glad to send you brochures my sister has put together describing not only my brother's battle, but that of our family as we watched him suffer and the cancer finally defeat his valiant efforts and our enormous love for him. I am not judging. We each have our own crosses to bear. But I would be happy to share David's journey with you. Maybe it would help you choose a different road. If you are found to be cancer free please let this be a wake up sign. I promise you with all my heart this is not a road you want to find yourself on today or in the future.
All my best,

Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

dw,

Please go back and read my first response to you. Quit using tobacco and watch the leukoplakia fade within a very short time. Anywhere that doesn't fade should be scalpel biopsied because that tissue is the most likely to become precancerous or cancerous. Take this very seriously and never let a physician or dentist tell you that they can tell with their naked eye that what you have is "nothing". It happened to me and my "nothing" was squamous cell carcinoma, which by the way, hurt.

Good luck quitting,

Barb

SCC tongue, stage I (T1N0M0), partial glossectomy and modified neck dissection 7/1/03

DW,

It is great that you acknowledge your addiction and are trying so hard to break it. Nobody will tell you it's easy and you know that yourself. You are to be congratulated for trying so hard and I hope and pray that you are successful and mostly, that you don't have cancer. If you find out that it is not cancer, don't give up on trying to stop chewing. It will be easy to give in, but be strong because you now know how great the potential is.

It's a shame that the theory that smokeless tobacco is better than smoking tobacco, still exists.

Good luck.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users