Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Senior Member (100+ posts)

True that. It is also NOT the human default. Stop paying attention and you will gravitate back to whatever end of the spectrum you tend towards. I'm a type a person which I believe in my heart of hearts switched the cancer ON. I'm still alive having learned a wonderful and powerful lesson about priorities and balance and yet at the two year post mark I find myself falling into the same old habits. I always told my kids "the right thing is rarely the easy thing". If it's hard to stay centered then I guess that's where I need to be

Dx March 2011 via FNA (49 yrs old)
SCC BoT
HPV+ exact strain unknown
Stage IVa T3N2cM0
Cisplatin x 3, IMRT x 40 (7267 cGy)
One node removed post-treatment (rad dmg)
Clean PET 10/28/11
Swallow therapy
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

It's good to read your thread again Chris. While I'm not nearly as fit as you (I used to be, but now the knees talk scream at me if I try that distance) it does remind me of pleasant days gone by.

You seem to have the formula figured out ... everything in moderation. I agree, that's the key. Even being fit doesn't guarantee nothing bad happens. But being fit, makes it so much easier to endure the treatments, and being mentally fit so much easier to fight the demons that try to enter the fray.

Your approach to life has given you extra layers of armor that protect you. You don't need a lot of pep talk, you pep yourself up. I wish it was as good for others on the forum.

Like I said before, it was good to read your thread again. Keep writing, you motivate others just by being here.

Tony

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good

Ha! Tony, I tend to not write about the many times I have to say "well, that didn't go the way I thought it would..". I owe SO MANY people a debt of positive energy that I can't pay them all back but I'm gonna try.

I was released by my radiation oncologist Friday. I have very strong feelings about the politics behind this that I will not discuss on this board. Suffice it to say, it was an attitude test that I failed. So, just gotta look at it from a different perspective and celebrate the end of that chapter of my life.

Dx March 2011 via FNA (49 yrs old)
SCC BoT
HPV+ exact strain unknown
Stage IVa T3N2cM0
Cisplatin x 3, IMRT x 40 (7267 cGy)
One node removed post-treatment (rad dmg)
Clean PET 10/28/11
Swallow therapy
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

[quote] I'm a type a person which I believe in my heart of hearts switched the cancer ON.[/quote]OMG! The concept of moderation is rather new to me too. I'm past belief and moved the factual yet unproven that my lifestyle switched on my cancer as well.

Being HPV+, not a smoker or drinker to excess, my type AAAA personality did it to me - I know. For example, over the years, I read and truly believed a common trait among many successful individuals was they just worked harder and longer; many getting by on very limited sleep, some as few as 5 hours. So, I trained my body to get by with less and less sleep and I swear that took a sever toll on my body and mind and both were unable to take the ABUSE.

I played as hard as I worked so the candle was burning on both ends and one day both my mind and body just quit. Personally, I KNOW I will NEVER return to those self destructive behaviors. I'm happy just as things are right now. don

Don
Male, 57 - Great health except C
Dec '12
DX: BOT SCC T2N2bMx, Stage 4a, HPV+, multiple nodes
1 tooth out
Jan '13
2nd tooth out
Tumor Board -induction TPF (3 cycles), seq CRT
4-6/2013
CRT 70gr 2x35, weekly carbo150
ended 5/29,6/4
All the details, join at http://beatdown.cognacom.com