Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17390 04-19-2005 10:41 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline

Please forgive me as I have never used a message board before and have been searching the site to see how to start. I hope this is right. Today I am 2 weeks post surgery and doing extremely well. My eating is almost back to normal, however slow. I start physical therapy tomorrow for help with my left arm as a result of my neck dissection and lymph node removal. I consider myself to be very lucky as I am a dentist and discovered my scc at the earliest possible time. From biopsy (stage I, no nodes) to surgery, it was only 2.5 weeks. I spent 3 days in the hospital and and am progressing very rapidly. Other than off/on shooting pains in my ear and a pulling in my neck incision area, I am very comfortable. My new goal in life is to try to get the word out to the world about "early detection." I have already been in contact with The American Dental Asssoc. to see what I, as a dentist, can do with my recent experiences. I was amazed after speaking with a representatative, that I am the only dentist with scc that has contacted him in the 15 years that he has been there. Well, that is my story and I hope I am doing this correctly. I hope I will be able to find out if anyone has read and/or responded to this posting.

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
#17391 04-19-2005 11:38 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hello Jerold, welcome to the site. Sorry that you have had to go through this but happy that you are progressing well.

The ADA has been slow to promote regular screenings through association members. Oral cancer strikes as many as 30,000 in the US annually. The overall survival rate is rather poor primarly because the cancer is found in late stages. Your help and energy will be appreciated in trying to change this reality.

The OCF has several projects in development that will get the word out to dentists. They are the key to earlier detection. Screenings are quick, painless and inexpensive. Dentists need to realize they are probably our first line of defense against this disease and rally themselves to do these screenings. Literally thousands of lives could be spared every year.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#17392 04-19-2005 11:54 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Take a look at our story (Dad sees dentist who sets him on the right path)for a feel good about dentists who ARE looking. Sounds like you are doing the right things to care for yourself, Jerold. I am trying to get my Dad into the mindset that he is the most important player on his cancer care team--and it's his job to insist on getting answers to his questions! Thanks, Mark, for your input in several places.

Daughter of 75-yr-old Dad with tongue cancer (T3NOMO) surgery and rt neck dissec 4/27/05; completed 27 X IMRT on 7/01/05; recurrance w/ surgical removal of another SCC tumor on 10/7 (he's also nonHodgkins lymphoma survivor since 1/94)
#17393 04-20-2005 03:04 AM
edd Offline

Dr. Wilck, Welcome, I'm new to the board too. A retired physcian assistant, 35 yrs of internal med. Unfortunatly I was a little slower in investigating my Sx.
My left arm is not so great ether, 2weeks post op. Had to sacrafice the nerve. Was warned ahead of time but at least the chronic shoulder pain is relived. I got off my butt and mowed the lawn yesterday and maybe it helped, at least I felt better for trying.
Marks reply is encouraging. Edd

#17394 04-20-2005 05:15 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Welcome Jerold,
Glad to have you aboard...we need all the help we can get to encourage the Dental community to be a little more pro-active with regular screenings.
I wish you a complete recovery and hope you hang around to be a part of our OCF team.
Take Care
Marica

Caregiver to husband Pete, Dx 4/03 SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Chemo /Rad no surgery. Treatment finished 8/03. Doing great!
#17395 04-20-2005 04:28 PM
OP Offline

Thanks to all of you for writing. I guess my first attempt at a board is working. I know that the American Dental Assoc. had a compaign about early detection about 2 years ago. Not sure what happened to it. Although I have been a member for 40+ years, I have basically been just a dues paying member. I guess this wake-up call will get me more involved. We have been very active in oral cancer screening in our office and I personnally have picked up only 2 cases in over 36 years of practice. I am hoping that this number is so low because my patients have been lucky and not that I missed any.
I will keep you posted as to what the ADA has in store for me and what their future plans are.

Edd, congratulations on getting out there and mowing your lawn.

Mark, you are obviously a wealth of information and knowledge and this forum is lucky to have you as a member. Thanks

Marica, glad to see that your husband is doing so well.

Bellarte, good luck with your dad. He is lucky to have you on his side. Family support at a time like this so important.

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

#17396 04-20-2005 05:03 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Jerry,

I am a dental hygienist, found my own SCC of the tongue, stage I, partial glossectomy, modified neck dissection, live in Center City Philadelphia. I now work as a practice management consultant and I am speaking on early detection to groups of dentists and hygienists. The resistance on the part of dentists is pretty amazing. I would love to speak with you. E-mail me if you are interested.

Barb

SCC tongue, stage I (T1N0M0), partial glossectomy and modified neck dissection 7/1/03
#17397 04-20-2005 05:50 PM

Thank you all for your kind comments. I came here a while back and have continued to try and help.

Thank you Jerry for doing the screenings! Oral cancers are not real common (I believe 10 to 12 cases per 100,000 per year) but common enough that a simple inexpensive test is worth the effort.

Barb, thank you for your efforts as well!

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#17398 04-21-2005 07:17 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hello Jerry; Thanks for sharing your story on this board. I hope you will continue to include us in your journey to total recovery.
There are two kinds of people..those who see dentists and those who are dentists..if we all get the word out something significant can be done about the huge problem of late stage diagnosis in oral cancer. You can give us non-dentists some great suggestions I'm sure.
Again, welcome and thanks,
Fran

SCC Base of tongue diag. April 04 Stage IV, mets to rt. neck multiple nodes 35 rads+8 boosts First recurrence Jan05. Rt.rad neck dissection Feb02/05. Recurred with bone mets in neck July 05.
Committed to survival with dignity.
#17399 04-21-2005 05:37 PM

Hi Jerry,
I'm new to this board, too! I was diagnosed in May of 1999 and would loved to have been able to talk with people that had been where I was going. But, nevertheless, I am happy to be able to encourage and give hope to those of you that might be going where I have been. I am also very glad that you are doing well inspite of having to go through this awful experience. I am encouraged that (as a dentist) your (new) "goal in life" is to get the word out on "early detection". This is of supreme importance, because when we have a sore mouth (problem), we usually head to the dentist for an answer. And sometimes precious time is wasted just because we don't fit the profile for "those at risk." Dentist hold the key to early detection and I'm glad to have you on board as an advocate!
Speedy recovery and then GO Get EM, Jerry!!!
Joyce
-------
Stage 4-Base of Tongue (T1N2bM0)- surgery to remove lesion, then Neck dissection, radiation and 6 months of chemo

#17400 04-22-2005 10:35 PM
OP Offline

Joyce, thanks for writing. I am so happy to see that you are doing so well after a stage 4 and aggressive follow-up.
I am well on my way toward recovery with 2,5 weeks under my belt I am eating almost normally, however slowly and speaking as I did before. It amazes me how much tongue has grown back already.
I have been back to my office, but not treating patients yet and we have been aggresively discussing updating out oral screening procedures. We will be setting up a trainig session soon with another forum member who does in office presentations. I intend to include my entire staff of 24 in the process and not just the docs and the hygienists. It is so important to me to get everyone motivated along the lines of early detection.
Thnaks for being a member of this group.
Jerry

Jerry

#17401 04-23-2005 01:44 AM

Hello Jerry,

Glad to hear you are doing so well. Looks like you caught it at it's earliest stage. Most of us are found in the mid to late stage of this cancer.
As you know the goal of Brian's Oral Cancer Foundation is "EARLY DETECTION SAVES LIVES"
It was nice to see you make the same goal. Again I welcome you to this forum and hope you can contribute as much information as you can.

Best Wishes, Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
#17402 04-25-2005 05:12 PM

Hi Jerry, Edd and Joyce!

Welcome to the neighborhood, although I am sorry you had to find us and your automatic membership form.

May every tomorrow be better than today!

Ed

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021
Thoracotomy Bilobectomy 01/2022
Bilateral VFI 05/2022
Total Laryngectomy 01/2023
#17403 04-26-2005 02:06 PM

Hi Jerry,
You can probably 'toss a brick into my house from where you are'. I'm across the river in Trenton and got caught in the latest flood.

I'm am glad you are recovering so well and now advocating early detection in your practice. It is so important. Email me if you need any help with local PTs etc. I got a good one in Lawrenceville.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
#17404 04-30-2005 08:50 AM

Hi Jerry
Thanks very much for replying to my posting. I did write a reply to you and I thought I'd sent it but since it doesn't seem to have appeared on the board I must have done something wrong! i'm not too used to message boards and I did have a lot of computer problems just after I joined so was off line for a bit. All sorted now so will try again.
I have been told the obturator causes problems with regurgitation because it is not a perfect fit but they can't make another one till after my mouth has finished healing. I am getting used to the frequent nose blowing that accompanies meal times!
You are asked about my radiotherapy - it will be aimed at the cancer site. i have now had the mould made for my head and I start the treatments on May 11th. not looking forward to it as I am feeling so well now that it will seem a backward step to have to experience the various side effects I have been warned about (and yes I have been told about the loss of my salivary glands). Still I keep thinking that in a few months time this will all be history and hopefully that will be an end to it.
I think it is great that you are going to encourage mouth cancer awareness in your practice. I have my dentist to thank for referring me.
Glad you are recovering so well.
Best wishes, maggie

maggie
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members