Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#173427 11-02-2013 07:50 AM
a11111 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi,I just joined this forum nice to meet you all.Now here is my question. I gave Oral Sex to my husband and I am worried I might have Oral HPV.A month after that I had Tonsilitis(allergy) and I went to see an ENT and he said I dont have Oral HPV but I still worry because my husband before me had a relationship with a woman who was sexually abused as a child.I am worried that I might have high risk strain Oral HPV in my mouth.I should also note that I went to see a gynecologist and my PAP test showed no HPV.But I am still very worried because I read on the internet that a high risk Oral HPV can cause Throat cancer as well as head,neck and HPV-positive oropharyngeal cancer.I didnt get the HPV vaccine which also worries me.Is there a way for me to find out if I have a high risk HPV infection type 16 in my mouth?Also If I have high risk Oral HPV will it go away on its own or will I forever have it?I dont want to sound paranoid I just want to get some answers regarding this.
Thank you

Last edited by a11111; 11-02-2013 07:51 AM.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi a11111,
I am not a doctor so please take everything I say with a grain of salt. From reading I have learned the following:
1. There is no officially approved medical test to see if one has oral HPV. There is talk about some methods, research as well, but nothing you can go to the doctor and ask for.
2. HPV virus infects locally, that is one can have the oral one and not on the cervix and vice versa. So your negative PAP/HPV test means it wasn't detected on the cervix, but that gives no information about oral cavity.
3. From what I have read, our body clears any type of HPV within a year or two in most people, over 90% of the cases.

So please try and relax. It is good to have regular checkups with an ENT, but overall chances of getting oral cancer are not that high in most people.

Last edited by Ambra; 11-02-2013 09:29 AM.

36, female, left tonsil HPV+ SCC, T2N1
8/28/13 SCC in left tonsil
9/12/13 surgery:TORS and selective neck dissection (levels II-IV), 23 nodes removed
9/18/13 post surgery biopsy: 2mm clear margins, a 7mm lymph node positive in level IV, no ECL
10/28/13 rad begins, 30 treatments, tomotherapy
12/09/13 radiation ends!
2/10/14 papillary thyroid cancer
2/26/14 PET shows clear neck other than thyroid cancer, but with high uptake in an ovarian cyst
2/27/14 thyroidectomy
3/5/14 pelvic ultrasound

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Most healthy people will develop HPV at some point in their lives. Most will clear the virus without any consequences or even knowing it was there. Only a very small percentage will go on to develop other problems from one of strains of HPV such as genital warts, cervical cancer, throat cancer, anal or penile cancer. There are hundreds of strains but so far most of them are not related to the previously mentioned health conditions. There is more unknown about HPV than is known which is why research (which OCF helps to fund) is so important.

Also very important is vaccinating everyone (both male and female) ages 12-26. Getting to young adults before they begin having sexual encounters can help to protect them from ever getting HPV initiated serious health problems as they would be protected against the cancer causing strains.

You probably have very little to be concerned about. Ambra did a good job of explaining things.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

My cancer was HPV+. Who knows when and where I acquired the little bugger and frankly I don't care and hindsight is 20/20. I know I enjoyed whatever I was doing when it happened! ~lol~ And now? I'm not going to refrain from oral sex at this point. The way I see it... Life is too short anyway and what a way to go! ;)~~

Positive thoughts and prayers

Cardiac bypass 11/07
Cardiac stents 10/2012
Dx'd 11/30/2012 Tx N2b MO Stage IV HPV+
Palatine Tonsillectomy/Biopsies 12-21-12
Selective Neck Dissection/Lingual Tonsillectomy/biopsies TORS 2/7/13
Emergency Surgery/Bleeding 2/18/13
3/13/2013 30rads/6chemo
Finished Tx 4/24/13
NED Since
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Thks fishman true story I'm thinking I'll be a little more reserved though at least until we know more about HPV don't want to have to get rads again doesn't sound like as much fun second time around wink

46 yr old non smoker moderate drinker
Lump on neck
Dx branchial cyst by fna mar 2012
Op to remove dec2012 biopsy back hpv 16 scc
Starting rads jan 31 no chemo docs say?
Finished mar13
Pet scan june 30 NED :)))
Back to work and enjoying life
Checkup aug 12 all good
a11111 Offline OP
OP Offline

After a month I went to Ent and apparently I have Chronic Tonsilitis and now I have to remove my Tonsils.I asked about Oral HPV and he just laughed at me.I keep thinking this all has to do somehow with HPV(Type 16) but again I feel like I am on dead end since no doctor takes me seriously.Again I have to drink the same medicine as last time for Tonsilitis but they dont help me at all.I should also note that I dont smoke and that I dont drink.

Last edited by a11111; 11-10-2013 06:32 AM.
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

The reasons that you give for thinking you have HPV orally is what throws the doctors off. They all know that while that is a transfer mechanism for oral HPV, the mathematical odds of getting a PERSISTENT HIGH RISK HPV ORALLY THAT DEVELOPS INTO A CANCER is really very low. But because of all the news stories, people are coming into their office like cray with stories about their spouses and the people they slept with in the past.

Having said all that, if you are going to have a tonsillectomy, I would be sure that the tonsillar tissue that tis removed goes to a pathology laboratory for complete analysis. If you have a cancer starting from HPV, the pathologist will know. It might save you from this developing further in other lymph tissues in your mouth as you will have caught it early, and it might teach the ENT's not to take this stuff so flippantly, as a small percentage of the people they see DO ACTUALLY HAVE A CANCER DEVELOPING.

Last edited by Brian Hill; 11-10-2013 09:46 AM.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
CWB Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

You are paying the doctor make sure a pathologist looks at your tonsils. I was also told it was unlikely I had cancer and you can see my signature block below. I have also read that HPV has passed smoking and alcohol as the main cause of oral cancer. Everyone that I have talked to who has had oral cancer also has HPV. I just wish doctors would get on board and take HPV serious. I hope your doctor is correct and it is nothing but insist on getting it checked.

Curt

Age 43, nonsmoking, social drinker
Left tonsil cancer
SCC HPV+16
Stage IV
tonsillectomy, robotic radical tonsillectomy and neck dissection
4 of the nodes removed had cancer. 2 had extra capsular spread.
3x cisplatin 33x rad 11/18/13
Completed treatment 01/08/14

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916