Next Thread
Print Thread
#1722 09-18-2003 02:01 AM
Flo Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Good Morning all

Linda was rushed to the hospital yesterday, after she collapsed on the floor. She was bleeding from her wound from her neck. She is in stable condition.

Please does anyone know what to do about this wound that is larger then life on her neck? Too close to the trach what about her airway? And does it heal, which I don't think it could. Has anyone had surgery, and if so, has it helped without infection and complications. What is this bleeding about? I saw the wound yesterday, Linda won't let me see, but I got a look, I can't believe my eyes! I feel so bad and helpless for her. How does this happen! I am so angry, upset, scared. Is this how it will end for her? Because of this wound? I am so scared...please if you have any information on this wound and what you have experienced please pass it on to give me some hope for Linda. She has a lot to live for a lot to lose. Thank you. Take Care Flo XoX frown

Caregiver for my loving Sister Linda 37, Advanced Recurrence SCC of the Head and Neck. 2003
Diag. June 2000 with Tongue Cancer in Stage 3/Treatment RAD
#1723 09-18-2003 05:46 AM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi Flo, I am answering you even though I have no idea why or how this got there or how bad it really is. You say she is in stable condition, keep that up front in your mind. Now I have had many surgeries and some infections. My guess is she has an IV with some strong antibiotics being dripped in. This would be stronger than she had at home. What surgery? They had me in two different times to de-breed. They can clean and get a better look at the problem in operating room than elsewhere, plus the patient is more comfortable. They can put antibotics in there when its open also. No surgery is risk free. Everytime I read what I am signing I about get scared out of it! For now think of your sister being stable and see what the Doctors come up with. I know its hard but one step at a time.

gnelson, StageIV, cancer free since Nov.9,2000
#1724 09-18-2003 12:00 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Dear Flo,

My thoughts and prayers are with both your sister and you. She is in good hands in the hospital and I'm sure they will do all they can. I can't answer you about her wound and that is frustrating for me. Will be sending alot of prayers and good vibes your way, Sincerly, Dan

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
#1725 09-18-2003 03:42 PM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Dear Flo, I can sense the anguish you are feeling about your sister - it comes through in your message. What kind of surgery did she have? My husband had a modified rad. neck dissection done in February, and roughly a few weeks later, after the staples were removed - he woke up in bed on morning - and was covered with blood - and needless to say, on the bedding as well. He somehow had the incision site where the drainage tube was, opened up - and that's what caused it. He was horrified, but managed to get it under control after going to the hospital. Of course, I don't know if this is a similar situation with your sister - but sometimes what seems like a major problem, isn't always that big. At least you know her condition is stabilized - and she's in the hospital where she can get the urgent care she may need. Please let us know how she's doing - and try to take a deep breath, and relax. Take care.

DonnaJean
#1726 09-18-2003 03:45 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Dear Flo,

Was so sorry to hear about Linda's troubles. I can understand your terror and confusion. One day at a time as gn said and remember that you and Linda are in our prayers. Please keep us informed when you can.

Love,
Judy U frown

Judy U
Stage I SCC floor of mouth, left radical neck dissection 8/03
#1727 09-19-2003 12:00 AM

Flo, we have had more than one experience with the exploding neck deal, several weeks ago, Frank had one burst during the night, he thought he was bleeding to death, then it started draining crappy black stuff........I compare him to a Thomas`s English muffin with nooks and crannys........He`s had 2 open up over the past several months, sometimes it`s better if they remain open, as much as we want them to heal. Frank had one on his neck for nearly a year......it finally healed, then in March he developed high blood pressure, was on meds, very weird thing is after it burst open again his BP returned to normal.It`s completely healed again and I`m not really sure that`s a good thing, it`s very close to his carotid artery, which is tied off...........as our one doc say`s these wounds are a nusiance, but many times there isn`t much to be done...........I know it`s scary, but remember, she`s stable and that`s the important thing right now !!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23