Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#172509 10-14-2013 06:46 AM
OP Offline

My 18 year old sister was just diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma on the base of the right side of her tongue 10/08/13. She's had this "sore" in her mouth that wouldn't heal for close to 5 months before having it seen about. All we have right now is the diagnosis. We don't know the stage. I was hoping to hear from someone who has survived this that can offer information. As you already know, a cancer diagnosis is so so scary and we could use a little encouragement. Thanks so much.

"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Rebecca, sorry for your news. If it is visible it's usually on the oral tongue (you can't see the base of your tongue which is in your throat).

I could feel a problem about 4-5 months before I was diagnosed as well. You can see my staging below. I had my surgery 2 months after seeing an ENT. I am a year out, and doing well. This is something that she can recover from!

Once you have more information (PET scan results, CT, biopsy) and a treatment plan, we can provide more detailed information.

Good luck.

Tina
Diag: Aug. 13/12
T3N0M0
50% + glossectomy and bilateral radical neck dissection, removal of nodes zones I - V
Surgery October 11/12
Chemo/rad on hold due to clear margins and nodes
Sept 21/13 clear CT with anomaly thought to be the artery, being watched closely.
Dec 16/13 - anomaly confirmed artery, all clear
nickname: "get 'r done"
Plans: kick cancer's butt
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome Rebecca, most everyone here is a survivor or caregiver to someone with squamous cell carcinoma, which can effect the mucous membrane in various areas of the head and neck, other anatomical sites, and your susters sound like the base of tongue or oral tongue, both which can be effected by SCC, but are in different areas, one in in the oral cavity, and other oropharynx, and sometimes treated differently. When you get further info, update your profile signature with testing, bio, members can better assist you . Was your sister's biopsy tested for HPV?

Good luck.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

OP Offline

The doctor who did the biopsy asked if she had been tested for HPV, but he didn't identify that as the cause. As far as I know she doesn't have HPV, but I'm just now learning that she had never been required to have Pap Smear so I doubt she's been tested.

Sister, 18yr old, diagnosed with oral tongue cancer 10/08/13
Total Glossectomy and neck dissection 11/18/13 (saved the back left portion of her tongue base only)
Forearm flap reconstruction
Trache and NG feeding tube after surgery (both removed now)
Tumor 6.7 cm
All lymph nodes tested came back negative for cancer
Radiation- 30 treatments (ending 2/18/14)
3/20/14 Recurrence- tumors in both lungs; likely metastasis
OP Offline

Thanks for the clarification. I wrongly described it. Her's is on the oral tongue.

Total Glossectomy and neck dissection 11/18/13 (saved the back left portion of her tongue base only)
Tumor 6.7 cm
OP Offline

Has your speech or ability to taste and swallow been affected by the surgery?

Tumor 6.7 cm
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Rebecca, welcome to OCF! So sorry to hear of your sisters OC diagnosis! She is so young to be going thru this, but her age is also an asset and will make this easier.

You have found the best place to get info and learn about your disease and how its treated. Educate yourself so you know what to expect and how to advocate for yourself. There is so much to do to prepare for treatments.

Check out the main OCF pages too. There you will find all the info you are asking about. There are sections for treatment, radiation, etc. Of course we are here to help you along.

Right now you need to focus on your sister's intake. She should be eating everything she likes and not worry about gaining weight as she will lose some during treatments. She should get a hearing test, full bloodwork including thyroid. Line up helpers. Nobody gets thru this alone so anyone who offers to help, write down their name and contact info. Tell them when the time comes you will call on them. Call the American Cancer Society, ask for a driver to take you to rads, and either $300 towards travel expenses or in the form of a pharmacy voucher (its ok to use for co-pays).

Two important things to remember thru all of this are everybody is different and will respond in their own unique way and the only thing you can control is the daily intake. Every single day your sister needs a minimum of 2500 calories and 48 oz of water.... NO SKIMPING! If she skimps one day and thinks its ok she can make it up the next, she is wrong and will quickly fall into a cycle which can lead to dehydration and malnutrition. On chemo days and the few days afterwards push her to take in extra water to flush the poison from the kidneys.

When treatments begin, have her pay very close attention to her hearing. If she notices even the slightest change inform the doc immediately. Cisplatin (very common chemo for OC patients) is known to cause high frequency hearing loss which is permanent.

Those are just a few things to start with. We will be here to help you get thru everything. Lean on us and we will support you both.

Good luck!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Rebecca,

Welcome. Encourage your sister to join the forums. We are all survivors or caregivers. I joined right after my diagnosis in late August of this year and it has been a GREAT place to get answers....and support.

48 yo female, quit smoking 4yrs ago, light drinker, Stage 2 SCC, Bx3, Dx 8/22/13, surgery 9/11/13. Partial glossectomy, bilateral neck dissection levels 1-4. Tongue reconstruction with flap from forearm. 87 Lymph nodes CLEAR. Tongue margins good at 1 cm. No further treatment planned. Monthly monitoring planned for upcoming year then periodic monitoring for next 4
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Rebecca,

When I found out my tonsil swelling was cancer I was lost, dismayed, scared, and about 15 other adjectives, none of them good. It was all fear of the unknown as none of us know anything about cancer until it happens to us or a dear one. And right then, in the beginning that lack of knowledge can be devastating.

OCF is what brought me out of the fog and gave me some hope. It's like having a big brother or sister who takes you by the hand and says ... do this, now do this, and now this. Everything will be alright.

You made a great choice joining OCF, now get your sister to do the same, so she can start pulling herself out of the fog.

Welcome to the family.

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good

Hi Rebecca - So glad you found this great place to be for the very latest in accurate medical information plus encouragement and hope from people who have been where you and your sister are right now. My son also put off seeing the dentist for about 6 months and when he finally did, he was sent to an oral surgeon who did the biopsy and sent him to an ENT who diagnosed the sore lump on the side of his tongue as SCC stage 2. The information on the main pages of OCF is most valuable and can help you and your sister to make a list of important questions to ask the doctor or for us here. There is every reason for your sister to survive this! My son is now 7+ years cancer-free and doing just great!

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics