Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

Hey Everyone,

I took the leap and became a member of this forum smile. My name is James and I am 26 years old. My mom was diagnosed with oral SCC T1N0M0 on her gum right under a capped tooth (bottom) last September (2012-end month). They operated her mid November. The procedure involved replacing part of her jawbone and covering it with a flap from her leg. By the time she got operated the jawbone was slightly touched by the cancer. She recovered quite quickly and by the beginning of December was already out of the hospital.

All margins were clear up to 2 cm around the area they replaced.

She has 33 radiation (external beam) treatments starting in February 2013. The radiation was hell for her worse than the actual operation.

In May they saw some abnormalities in her MRI so sent for a PET Scan. PET Scan showed some activity in her cheek the area close to the right of her chin/jawbone/neck area.

Biopsy results = Cancer.

The doctors were very surprised that it came back after surgery and radiation just under 9 months. It must have been a dormant cell. The even re-analyzed the bone and the skin of her old operation and everything was clear around the margins.

She just finished getting operated 3 days ago. The doctors did not take the chance and re-performed the same operation like last time (since the cancer was close to her jaw) and also replaced part of her cheek along the jawline. Again this time margins of 2-2.5cm around the area are all clear of cancer and were removed. Main artery which goes to the brain is also clear. Absolutely no node involvement on either side of the neck. Lungs and brain clean.

They will follow-up in a week with brachytherapy (already installed in her cheek from the operation) as a preventative treatment.

So far everything has turned for the better. Her total stay in hospital will be around 20 days. She will be able to eat alone and perform usual functions only problem she has is her mouth sometimes get dry. From her last surgery, including radiation treatments, she went from ~180pounds down to 160. I hope she doesn't loose anymore weight!

I am just a bit worried because i had asked the doctor what would happen if the cancer does return around the same area. He said treatment options are limited. I am unsure what that means but I guess they can't re-radiate her or perform additional surgery on the same side? I guess chemo would be the next bet? I know I am thinking too far ahead...but I am the type to worry...but I always try to keep a positive attitude.

My mom means the world to me and I am so happy to have such a supportive family and friends.

Last edited by CivicSi13; 08-31-2013 12:36 PM.
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

Forgot to mention. She has a great team of doctors and nurses caring for her. She is at the Montreal General Hospital.

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Welcome to OCF. Your Mom has been through a lot and still not out of the forest yet. Far easier said than done but do try to not think out unknown situations as it just makes your daily quality of life suffer and you want to have each day be as happy and as meaningful as possible now. We see so many times people just wreck their day worrying that it is sad to see one lose what could have been a happy day to one that is racked with anxiety and worry. Try not to let that happen to you.

As to your Mom, she is getting the best care she can so you must try to take each day as it comes. That does not mean you should not get as educated and informed about the possible options which is strongly encouraged, just don't try to pick outcomes until actually presented. best to you and your Mom. Don

Don
Male, 57 - Great health except C
Dec '12
DX: BOT SCC T2N2bMx, Stage 4a, HPV+, multiple nodes
1 tooth out
Jan '13
2nd tooth out
Tumor Board -induction TPF (3 cycles), seq CRT
4-6/2013
CRT 70gr 2x35, weekly carbo150
ended 5/29,6/4
All the details, join at http://beatdown.cognacom.com
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

By out of the woods do you mean her cancer? or post-operative recupperation?

not sure what you mean

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Welcome. Keep up that good attitude, it really does mean the world.

David R. 65 yr old male non-smoker, light drinker, stage 3 or 4, depending on which doc you ask, scc rt. tonsil, 2 nodes, 7 weeks radiation and chemo. No surgery. Teatment ended 3/20/08. PET scan 8/08 showed no cancer.
And now, as of oct, 2010, caregiver to wife, Linda, with breast cancer.
May, 2013, Linda diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer. Enuf already.
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

My mom has been extremely positive. Right out of the operation half sedated gave the family a smile, wink and thumbs up. smile Doctors are extremely happy with the ops.

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

James, welcome to OCF! Im very glad you have found this site to help you and your mother with info and support. She sure has been thru alot! So have you and everyone else in the household. Cancer affects the whole family, not just the patient.

Ive had a mandibulectomy so know all too well how difficult it is to recover from. I had a few complications so my recovery took a full year. Sounds like your mother did very well with her initial recovery from the mandibulectomy. The second one was much harder on her as she was probably a bit run down after going thru so much already and also she had gone thru rads which can be brutal. Your mother is one tough lady! This recovery from round 2 will probably be quite a bit longer than the first surgery.

When I read what you wrote about your mom, you reminded me of my son and how hard my cancer battles were on him. Being a caregiver isnt easy. Im sure it must be hard on you to watch your mother go thru everything. Dont forget to take some time for yourself during your mothers recovery. I know you are young, but you can still get burned out.

Best wishes with everything to you and your mother.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

I mean in general. Your Mom has been through a lot and the side effects from all the treatments, especially since she went through two sets, is going to take time to recover from so you should expect recovery to take time.

Don
Male, 57 - Great health except C
Dec '12
DX: BOT SCC T2N2bMx, Stage 4a, HPV+, multiple nodes
1 tooth out
Jan '13
2nd tooth out
Tumor Board -induction TPF (3 cycles), seq CRT
4-6/2013
CRT 70gr 2x35, weekly carbo150
ended 5/29,6/4
All the details, join at http://beatdown.cognacom.com

Hi James,

Yours situation is much similar to mine, my dad went through those treatments as well and James you and I are the same age.

Its good that your team of doctors caught on to the abnormalities early...redoing the operation was very correct.

We made the mistake of going to private doctors here in Hong Kong and not going back to Toronto. Its important to have a full team of doctors. Lots more get discussed.

==
Care giver to father 61
SCC Tongue T1N2b stage IVA
6/1/12 - Tumor BOT (SCC)
6/10/12 - PET scans show 2 lymph node
6/30/12 - Glossectomy with 2/38 LNs 1cm clear marg
8/22/12 - started chemoRT (poor tolerance to Cisplatin)
10/2012 - 2 rounds of chemo only and RT completed
5/2013 - Upper left neck wounds started breaking down
8/2013 - PET scan shows recurrence and metastasis bottom of neck and possible lung
9/5/2013 - chemo: docetaxel/carboplatin + Erbitux

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics