Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Jasper,

Read my Signature Line.

Now wipe out ALL those negative thoughts because post cancer and at 65 now I feel as healthy as I've always been. I still work 50 hours a week (because I want to) and I still exercise intensely (because I want to and I can) at least 6 days a week. Hell I am more affected in my daily life because of rotator cuff surgery I had 26 years ago than I am from this cancer or the very minimal side effects from that crappy Tx.

Trust me, once you "walk out of that tunnel" some 3 week post Tx, your attitude will improve. Just hang in there a little bit longer. IMO half the battle with cancer is mental and that's the part I believe we can control the most so wipe out all those negative thoughts and fill your mind with positives and in no time you will be typing posts just like me.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

David,
I so totally agree with the statement that the mental game in cancer is a big factor; being prepared and knowledgeable and ready to fight, fight, fight at every level during all phases of diagnosing and treatment and recovery are all critical steps.

It REALLY irks me when ppl shrug off my rather good ride through treatment and recovery (just 4 weeks post but "fully" recovered by 3 weeks post) as just being LUCKY, bull!

It was a lot of hard work, literally, to constantly monitor the condition of the sores, ulcers, and patches, and the constant changing effect the various treatments and techniques I tried to battle each side effect. It was HARD work and time consuming. I know I spent far more actual time battling than 90% who either did not get sufficiently educated nor feel the need to get actively involved with their own well being.

You have a great attitude about this all and many should look at you as one of shining examples of how to fight the Beast!

Don
Male, 57 - Great health except C
Dec '12
DX: BOT SCC T2N2bMx, Stage 4a, HPV+, multiple nodes
1 tooth out
Jan '13
2nd tooth out
Tumor Board -induction TPF (3 cycles), seq CRT
4-6/2013
CRT 70gr 2x35, weekly carbo150
ended 5/29,6/4
All the details, join at http://beatdown.cognacom.com
Jasper Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Thanks again for the responses.

I realize the depression is real but also normal, particularly with unknowns ahead. I can appreciate the positive warriors that are out there and believe I am one of those in deciding to get through the physical process (final chemo yesterday - wrap up rad next week no major issues yet relative to what many have experienced). Understanding there are others powering through more difficult issues, dealing with the dark side emotionally is obviously new. Your stories and comments are helpful.

On the positive front, I do have a fantastic caregiver/spouse and children (18 and 21) --- absolutely amazing. Now sure how I'd make it through the tunnel without them.

J.

Male age 50 SCC BOT Stage IV HPV+ Tx 35xrad 3xchemo (cisplatin).
Tx completed 7/2013
MND 10/2013 (Pathology Negative)
Debridement for minor ORN 7/2014
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Agreed on all fronts!

Without my Vida, my wife, my savior I would not be posting today!

I'm sure you'll get through this and believe me there is and will be light at the end of that damn tunnel.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics