Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Husband is post 4 weeks after chemo and radiation diagnosis thoat cancer stage 4 He has a nose tube and is able to drink some water most nutution is from the compleat that goes in the ng tube He still has nausa and is afraid to eat . Dose anyone have suggestionfor what kind of food to eat? and how much? how often? what consistency? fruit yes no? I realize the g tube is part of the problem. He has pain meds but just sleeps if he takes too much.

Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

It is not uncommon for him to still have pain and nausea from his Tx but I am assuming he had the "standard" Tx of 7 weeks rad concurrent with chemo, most likely Cisplatin in 3 doses. Remember each of us can respond differently but I had the nasal tube put in my 3 week post Tx and I had it for 2 weeks and it made a huge difference to me. He needs to get at least 2500 to 3000 cals AND 48ozs of water EACH AND EVERY DAY. That will go a long way to start his recovery and may help his nausea as that can be caused by insufficient hydration.

Once I pulled the tube out I started eating (trying that is) a lot of different things. Migrate towards soft, liquidly type foods like mashed potatoes with gravy, cereals, eggs, etc.

Tell him don't be afraid to do anything. The worst is most likely over so on to the recovery stage which can last every bit of 2 years. Soon the dry mouth(if it hasn't already) will kick in and that along with his taste will slowly return over this 2 year period.

Just remember and tell him, all he is going through seems NORMAL to what he's been thru.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Time is your best friend. Four weeks is still kind of early. Most, including myself, find some relief after the third month. It's also muti-factorial. One is not just going to wake up one day, and all will be fine. It's a combination of several things, that need to be treated or dealt with separately.

Radiation also continues to work just as long as your treatment lasted, so you can still have the effects from that. The nausea can be from treatment, pain meds, dehydration. the nutrional feeding and even constipation from pain meds, nutrional feeding, can cause naseua.

Smaller, more frequent meals, even tube feedings, is more tolarable than larger three meals. Start out with soft, more tolerable foods. After treatment, some have a smell or taste aversions to certain foods. Many find more aversion with certain proteins, and carbs, like vegetables, may be more tolerable. It's basically trial and error. I could not tolerate many, which made me nauseous, vomit, even the texture of potatoes, breads bothered my tongue, and could not eat. but now can eat evertbing. Stay away from acidic, spicy, sharply textured foods, and serve warm, not hot. Do nit lay down until an hour or two after eating. When raising slowly get up, sit for a minute before standing. If I raised to quickly, that caused an nausea and vomiting event.

Still do what was done during treatment, as far as proper oral care, rest, and adequate hydration, nutrition, in addition to treating any infections wether they be bacterial, viral, or fungal, each are different, and inflammation, pain, dry mouth.

Maybe see a speech and swallow therapist, and a nutrionist, to work with you. I'm 3.6 years out from my first treatment, and still have a number of side effects, and have to go back to see the therapist.

Good luck.

Last edited by PaulB; 06-26-2013 07:42 AM.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo