Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16698 12-18-2004 07:27 AM
OP Offline

I may be writing this a bit premature but I'm scared. I went to the dentist this past Thursday and she discovered 3 dark brow spots under my tongue and on the floor of my mouth. After looking at this site, I fear I have a sort of melanoma beacuse I saw a pic and it looks just like what I have. I have an appt with an oral surgeon on Wed the 22nd. I'm trying hard to focus on anything but the spots til then but I can't help get caught up in my fears. I'm such a social person, I love to talk and all the jobs I've ever had were all about communication. I 'was' a social smoker til the dentist showed me the spots but when I say social, I really hardly ever smoked and I don't drink...how could this have happened????
Sorry for the the 'woe is me' but what a blow...I'm a healthy person, I love life, I try to be good. I lost my mom to breast cancer 20 yrs ago and I always thought I'd get bc as it runs in families. Again forgive me for rambling when it may be nothing but I'm so frightened.
Feel free to email me back at [email protected]
Thank you all and happy holidays.

Michele T smile
#16699 12-18-2004 07:47 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Michelle,
don't freak out yet. Oral melanoma is fairly rare. I misdiagnosed myself from internet photos. I found a photo of peritonsillar abcess that looked exactly like my stage III/IV tumor. It really takes a biopsy and ENT or head & surgeon to determine what it is. Just try to go about life as best you can and remember our saying - "it isn't cancer until the path report says it is".

If it were me though I would go straight to the ENT, not an oral surgeon. Many of us here had late or misdiagnosis and this is a disease that you really want to catch in the early stages. We have lots of comprehensive cancer centers in California so I would strongly recommend going to one of them as well. UCSF, Stanford, UCDavis, City of Hope, Loma Linda come to mind. You can find links to the NCI and NCCN on the OCF resources page: http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/resources/index.htm

My mother had BC, and a radical mastectomy along with a rather nasty melanoma on her arm. She also had uterine cancer -won the battle with all three. She died of a massive heart attack. My dad had a bad heart and died from cancer - go figure. What keeps me sane today is to stay in the "now" and leave the future to God.

Kudos to your dentist for alerting you to finding something suspicious. My dentist and hygenist are always flagging areas of concern now - mainly just garden variety radiation damage of no consequence. Too bad they didn't get suspicious earlier in the process when I was in an earlier stage.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#16700 12-18-2004 07:55 AM
OP Offline

Thank you so much for the speedy reply Gary. I am going to keep my appt w/ the oral surgeon for Wed because on Thurs I leave for Miami for 2 weeks but while I am there I'll research ENT's and set up an appt. Thank you for the advice, it's much appreciated *s*

Michele T smile
#16701 12-18-2004 08:01 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Michele, as Gary says, Its not cancer until the pathologist says it is. So try not to worry too much. But do go to an ENT at a cancer center. This disease is too evil to not go for the throat immediately and with all the strength you can muster. Get the first team on the job right up front. Then if it is a problem, you are in the right place and if it isn't, you have the peace of mind of knowing the most qualified resource available was consulted and gave you a clean bill of health. Will pray for a good outcome for you.

Regards, Kirk Georgia
Stage IV, T1N2aM0, right tonsil primary, Tonsilectomy 11/03, 35 rad/3cisplatin chemo, right neck dissection 1/04 - 5/04.
#16702 12-18-2004 08:06 AM

If you got referal to an ENT and told them about the suspicious area, they would probably see you right away. I had just joined my HMO (which has a primary care physician first refering policy) and I called directly to the head & neck department. When I told them of the dentist suspicions they saw me the very next day and even performed a biopsy on the spot.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#16703 12-20-2004 10:56 AM
OP Offline

Just stopping by to say hi...
This waiting for my appt on Wed at 2:30 is the worst. My brain won't quiet down and I feel terrible saying this, but my husband is no support. I know he is worried too but he certainly has a callous way of showing it.
Anyway, just want to vent in a safe place. Wishing you all well.
Michele

Michele T smile
#16704 12-20-2004 01:45 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Michele, I understand how you are feeling right now but it is too early to say that your husband is no support. He has a hard time too when knowing his wife may have a health problem. Usually men are less expressive than women and like to hide their feelings. If you know he is worried, that means he cares about you already. Patients are normally sensitive and demand a lot from people they love. Hopefully, your coming appointment gives you peace of mind and you can continue enjoying your life.

Karen.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.
#16705 12-20-2004 03:22 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Michele,

Try to relax, listen to your favorite music, breathe. I agree wholeheartedly with what Karen said about how men tend to hide what they really feel. Think positive regarding your appointment. I will be thinking that way for you.

Peace
Jack
Dx 1/15/97 SCC rt. tonsil met to rt lymph node Stg IV,
Srgry 1/23/97 tonsillectomy & mod radical neck dissection,
Radiation 35 trtmnts both sides

#16706 12-20-2004 03:27 PM
OP Offline

Thank you for pointing out what you did Karen, in my head I turned the tables and I don't know how I'd behave in his shoes. Grateful though to have a place to share my thoughts and fears and will be back.
Thank you all.
Michele

Michele T smile
#16707 12-31-2004 06:26 AM
Jaq Offline

Hi Michelle,

Well, like a lot off people have said to you before. As long as things are not cleared by a doctor, you do not have to think it is cancer for sure (which doesn't mean you must not see a doctor). So keep thinking possitive: always. And I can say that out of my own experience.
(sorry for a bit of messy english, but that's because I am not...).
An other thing I want to say, if you think you don't get the support you need talk to these people from who you think you can expect support.
And for the waitingperiod (for appointments and for the results, try to focus on other things like hobbies; I know that is difficult but just try. It helps a lot.
And I ("even I" because I am quite new to this forum to) think that if there ar any questions, just ask,, there is always somebody who knows something. Even if it is a little info, it is always more then nothing...

Greets, hugs and good luck Jaqueline

not able to talk does not mean not able to think...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics