Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline
OCF Founder

The Oral Cancer Foundation has been asked to help the National Cancer Institute to locate individuals who have had recent cancer experiences and would be willing to be interviewed regarding those experiences. Here is the contact information. If you fall into one of the qualifying groups, I urge you to call and offer your opinions.

The National Cancer Institute (NCI) is developing new education materials to address concerns that people with cancer and their families face throughout the course of the disease. We need to know what you believe is important to include in these materials. We are looking for:

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

The NCI is still collecting information. This posting is to bring this information back to the current list again.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

O.K. Brian, I called Monday, and they called me back today for my first focus group tomorrow! So, come on guys, this gives us a voice and a chance to maybe make some changes........Dee

Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I took part in a NCI focus group yesterday. I'm glad I did and hope I was helpful. Admittedly I was running on empty though. I had just gotten home from spending 15 hours in the ER with my Mom.
This post-treatment sickness thing is pissing me off. As if cancer and its' treatment isn't difficult enough. Arrgh. Brian, thanks for letting us know about these groups. I think there's a lot of good info that forum members can contribute to NCI.

Mom's caregvr. DDS failed to dx 01/03. Dx Stg IV SCC 05/03. Induct. chemo, IMRT, 5FU, H, Iressa, Neck disect, radiation. Dad's caregvr. Dx 01/04 Ext. Stg SCLC. Mets to liver/bone 08/04. Died 11/12/04. Mom tongue CA dx 06/13, hemiglossectomy (80% removed) 08/13. Clean margins and nodes, but PNI. 6/15/15: Tongue CA at base of remnant tongue. Declined further tx; hospice.
Died 10/13/15. What a long and difficult journey.

Hi Brian - I'll be calling them tomorrow - targeting the Bereaved informal caregivers focus group. Thanks for the update. Kathy Dodge

Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Brian,

I'll give them a call. I think I qualify as a current informal caregiver.

Jack

Caregiver to Eric
Squamous Cell Carcinoma, L. Tonsil
Stage 3 (T2-N1-M0)
5 Years Cancer Free Now

Hi Brian,
They blew me off, telling me that they had plenty of responses from stage III/IV patients already. They took my name for future panels/focus groups...

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
OCF Founder
OP Offline
OCF Founder

I think the term "blew you off' was probably less than appropriate. I just called this afternoon to offer my help. They took my information; they said they had a lot of responses, and that this is one of many focus group issues that they will be exploring in the next 6 months. While they couldn't say if I would be one of those chosen for this particular focus group, like clinical trials, their groups are very specific in having a common background. If they took your information, they obviously didn't think that you were a nut case, and may, if not for this particular study, contact you as they develop other materials geared towards cancer patients, survivors and caregivers. As far as I was told this afternoon, they were still gathering names and information for the future groups.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23