Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1628 08-25-2003 11:22 AM
fuji Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

I'm posting and crying at the same time - My mom had a catscan a couple of days ago - She saw the oncologist today - Bad news - He believes it spread to the lungs - His drug of choice is Taxotere - Has anyone heard of this? I did some searching on the net - It seems to be the way to go in a situation like this - Unfortunately, there is no way to tell for sure (if this is cancer or not) My mom can't go under for a biopsy or have MRI (pacemaker) - Her doctor is treating it as aggressive as possible (anyway) I'm broken - For the first time I hear fear and deep sadness in my dad's voice - He has been so positive (keeping her alive crushing her pills feeding her through the PEG etc.) Does anyone know much about lung cancer? I'm getting the education I never wanted and it is frightening - The prognosis is 1 to 3 years possibly longer (everyone is different) I'm so angry and sad at the same time - One minute its in the tonsil and base of tongue now it seems its going places I never wanted it to go.

Thanks guys and again I wish great things for each and every one of you.

Sue

#1629 08-25-2003 11:45 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Sue,

I don't have an answer for you but I wanted you to know your mother will be in my prayers. Hopefully it might not be as bad as you think. Give your mother and father my best wishes, Good luck, Dan

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006
#1630 08-26-2003 02:05 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Sue, I read your post yesterday and thought how much your current situation mirrors ours......Frank`s latest tumor is in a sinus cavity and surgery is not an option, since he had all the radiation possible we are faced with only chemo, and the word palliative. We`ve been through 6 surgeries. I can`t really say I`ve even absorbed the meaning of all this. I understand your tears, it seems to never give us a break, it`s easy to say I`m going to take one day at a time, but harder to practice, at least for me.....Please understand we are dealing with the same dreadful news you are, and we will keep you in our prayers.......Packer and Dee

#1631 08-26-2003 02:33 AM
vb Offline
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Sue,
Sorry to hear about your mother. Very similiar situation with my own mother. She had base of tongue surgery in Feb. 2002 and had recovered pretty well and is home and self-sufficient. She went for a PET scan in MAy and they saw something on her right lung. She then went for a CT scan and fine needle biopsy which confirmed SCC of the lung. Since they didn't see it anywhere else the tumor board's recommendation was lobectomy. My mother decided she didn't want to go through major surgery again so she opted against it. They then told her that she should at least have radiation to shrink the tumor. She has been through that and decided to forego that treatment as well. She is 80 and has been through alot in the past 2 years and just decided she did not want to undergo anymore invasive treatments. She is still doing fairly well. I don't know if she made the right decision, but I guess it is the right one for her. Everyone has to weight their options and make their own choices. I just wanted to let you know you are not alone and as you can see many others are out here wishing you and your mother the best. It's hard to know what kind of advice to give the person who has this awful disease.

Prayers and best wishes are with you and your family.

Vince
#1632 08-26-2003 07:34 AM
fuji Offline OP
OP Offline

I thank all of you for the kind words - (As much as I HATE the fact that you are going through this) - It is so comforting to know we are not alone - I hope that makes sense - I just wish none of us were touched by this awful disease - If there is any good to come out of it - The one good thing I'm finding out more each day is how much love we have for people and for life - You are all in my thoughts and I wish you all the best - Thank you again

#1633 08-26-2003 04:09 PM

Fuji, I am very sorry to hear of this new trouble. I can only offer the idea that her Dr. could be wrong. Don't loose hope.

take care

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23