Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Lori,

Yes, time does seem to stand still and there is a lot of waiting when you get a cancer diagnosis, and it really adds to your already high anxiety level.

I also found out I had thyroid nodules shortly after I found out I had OC. Initially my ENT suggested surgery to remove half my thyroid (side with the nodules); however, I had a number of tests conducted, consulted with an endocrinologist and a few other doctors, did not have surgery and it was NOT cancer.

In my case it turned out to be a �fairly common� thyroid condition called Hashimoto�s thyroiditis. It�s been a number of years since this happened, so I don�t recall the exact sequence of events that lead to the diagnosis of Hashimoto�s. The tests I had included fine-needle aspiration (FNA) biopsy, blood tests (TSH and a few others), ultra-sound (to periodically measure the size of the nodules), thyroid uptake scan, in addition to CT, PET and MRI (which were done mainly because of the SCC). To monitor this condition, many of these tests are repeated periodically.

Do some research on thyroid conditions and tests before your next doctor�s appointment. One test that you should have is the TSH blood test. If you end up with radiation therapy, the thyroid is often compromised and many of us need to take daily medication (ex. Synthroid) as a result. Having the TSH now gives you a baseline normal reading for you. Also ask about doing a FNA biopsy of the nodules to determine if it is cancerous or a benign condition.

A good on-line resource I found is the American Thyroid Association.

I know this is a stressful time for you and we are here to help you! Good luck with the tests and keep us posted.

Susan

SCC R-Lateral tongue, T1N0M0
Age 47 at Dx, non-smoker, casual drinker, HPV-
Surgery: June 2005
RT: Feb-Apr 2006
HBOT: 45 in 2008; 30 in 2013; 30 in 2022 -> Total 105!
Recurrence/Surgeries: Jan & Apr 2010
Biopsy 2/2011: Moderate dysplasia
Surgery 4/2011: Mild dysplasia
Dental issues: 2013-2022 (ORN)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Las,

Sorry to hear you have cancer you've found the right forum for information and the people here are a great help.

I had the same Cancer as you. I went to Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa. I had surgery and my lymph nodes removed from my neck. My CT/PET Scan showed no cancer in the lympoh nodes. My surgeon suggested to remove some lymph nodes from my neck because cancer cells are so small a CT/PET scan doesn't detect them until the size of a nickel. It was my call and I went with what he said, he's the surgeon he knows what he's doing. He removed some of the lymph nodes, no cancer.

I'm glad I went with his suggestion I don't have to worry and wonder if there was cancer in my nodes. You might want to discuss this with your surgeon.

The incision can't be seen and you can't tell I had them removed my neck looks the same as before surgery.

Take care and keep us posted.
Connie

SCC. of the left lateral tongue, anterior two thirds, T1 possibly a T2.
Left partial glossectomy, left selective neck dissection 4/21/09. Nodes clean, No Rad, No Chemo.

CT Scan 9/11 clean, CT Scan 9/12 clean

Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL. A+.

My hometown Lockport, NY.

las3645 Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Susan, they did talk about doing a series of tests at the appointment on tuesday including a FNA. And possibly a nasal scope. I might consider Moffit because of everything I am hearing about them, but I first want to hear what the doc at Shand's says.

The good news is that everything is being caught super early.

Lori, age 30 (HPV-, non-drinker, non-smoker, non-tobacoo user)
Dx 3/18/13 - T1N0M0 SCC L.Tongue
Tx 4/4/13 - Partial glossectomy (no rad/no chemo).
8/8/13 - Thyroid FNA - benign nodule
12/20/13 - Tongue Biopsy - Mild hyperkeratotic dysplasia
12/26/13 - Lymph FNA - benign (dx Cervical lymphadenopathy)
3/17/14 - Tongue Biopsy - normal tissue
5/5/14 - Tongue Biopsy - (awaiting results)
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Hi just a heads up - an FNA - is only as good as the tissue they hit. smile

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
las3645 Offline OP
OP Offline

Very true Cheryl! I do feel like I am feeling very confident because everything was caught super early. Part of me feels like I should be more concerned, the other part of me feels that there is not much to be concerned about at this point. I am feeling too confident?

Mine was caught super early too but I went with my Surgeon suggested and today no second guessing.

Keep us posted

Connie

SCC. of the left lateral tongue, anterior two thirds, T1 possibly a T2.
Left partial glossectomy, left selective neck dissection 4/21/09. Nodes clean, No Rad, No Chemo.

CT Scan 9/11 clean, CT Scan 9/12 clean

Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL. A+.

My hometown Lockport, NY.

las3645 Offline OP
OP Offline

Here is my other thought. I can't get the "I have cancer" thought out of my head. Are these thoughts going to be here for forever? My other thought is about telling people, I feel like such a faker talking with people and they have no clue what is going on, I just keep talking to them about other things. I am a teacher, do I tell my students I have cancer. Obviously, I am going to be out of school for a little bit to recover from the surgery. Do I make an announcement on Facebook? This mental side of it is exhausting. Thanks. I appreciate all the guidance I have gotten already.

Everyone is different, and do what is most comfortable for you. Several cancer ribbon sites, maybe here too, offer suggestions in telling others like immediate family, children. distant relatives, co-workers, employers, acquaintances about your diagnosis, treatments. Not everyone needs the same amount of information either, and is based upon need, and everyone has to respect that. Good luck with everything.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

[quote=las3645] I can't get the "I have cancer" thought out of my head. Are these thoughts going to be here for forever? [/quote]

Hi Las,

I just read your posts. Sorry you had to join the club but you'll find this site to be a great support system and source of information.

You pose an interesting question. When we hear the words "You have cancer", it's a feeling one cannot quite describe in words. Before I saw the ENT about the lump in my neck, I knew in my gut it was cancer. I had convinced myself it was some sort of lymphoma based on the self diagnosis sites and doing way too much reading on the web. I asked the doctor to be straight up with me. After his initial examination, the Dr. looked at me and said "I think this is cancer. We don't know what type but I've seen enough of this to tell you it is cancer". Despite having convinced myself, hearing those words still made my stomach drop.

I had a FNA and the results were indeed cancer. But it was SCC Head and Neck. I had never had heard of it and was actually relieved at first, that is until he explained the details. There are no "good" cancers but SCC H&N is pretty nasty!

Your life changes the moment you hear those words. Then it was the waiting. Yes, a day seems like a month! I was Dx's on Nov. 30th 2012 and between 2 surgeries looking for the primary site and another emergency surgery to stop bleeding, I finally started actual treatment on March 14th., 30 rads and 6 weekly chemos (Cisplatin).

Everyone is different in how they process this but I know not a day goes by that I don't know I have cancer. the side effects of the surgery alone are enough to remind me a few short moments after awakening.

The key is your attitude. With cancer, everything else around you is out of your control. The only thing you have control over is your attitude. Staying positive is a very large part of the battle and a vital aspect.

Concerning telling others? There are as many opinions as there are people posting. There is a thread here concerning that. It's a personal choice. I chose to go public in a big way. For me, it was the right thing. The support and positive vibes have been awesome.

It's wise to seek a 2nd opinion, especially at a Comprehensive Cancer Center. Research the facilities you're considering. Here's a link to some good info: http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/cancer

Good luck with everything. Positive vibes and prayers.

"T"

Cardiac bypass 11/07
Cardiac stents 10/2012
Dx'd 11/30/2012 Tx N2b MO Stage IV HPV+
Palatine Tonsillectomy/Biopsies 12-21-12
Selective Neck Dissection/Lingual Tonsillectomy/biopsies TORS 2/7/13
Emergency Surgery/Bleeding 2/18/13
3/13/2013 30rads/6chemo
Finished Tx 4/24/13
NED Since
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Lori, what I would suggest is keeping this quiet until you have it straight in your own mind. Once you tell people it will spread like crazy. Once its out you cant take it back so proceed with caution. I would suggest if you "go public" with your news then wait until you have your treatment plan.

You life is about to change dramatically. You dont need to add the stress of always discussing your medical condition as part of all your conversations. This takes alot of getting used to.

You have found a whole new bunch of friends right here on the OCF forum. This is a safe place to come to ask questions and if you need to, to vent. We understand what you are going thru as we have been there ourselves.

If you are overwhelmed, see your family doctor and ask for anxiety meds. Many OC patients (and quite a few caregivers too) have needed a little help to handle this major change.

Staying busy will help keep your mind from worrying so much.

Best wishes.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy