Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#16082 07-28-2004 09:32 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Tassie
Welcome
I only had radiation to the tonsil and neck and I was about 75% and worked about 6 hours a day. I got most tired at the last week of 6 and felt the worst the 2 weeks after the radiation ended. Its one of those things you will have to take as it comes and set contingencies for if your to tired to work. I would plant on taking at least the last week of radiation and the 2 weeks after off which is when you be the most tired. Also your skin is quite irritated at this time and may be offensive with your clients.

SCC R-Tonsil T2 NO MO Dec 2003. Completed IMRT Radiation only to tonsils(72Gy) and neck(55Gy)March 04. Detected at age 50.
#16083 07-28-2004 10:38 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Tassie, Welcome to our little club. Sorry to see a repeat member, but at least you found us this time and we can help support you through what may be a bit of a difficult time. We all react to things differently, but I was one of the people who worked through the full chemo/rad treatments. I am an outside salesperson and driving is a constant requirement, so I did not take any medication until after work. I worked the full 9 hour day and my cisplatin chemo treatments were administered every three weeks. I arranged them for Thursdays to allow me to recover over the weekend. As it turned out, the rad was a lot worse than the chemo. I fell off the cliff at the end of the 7th week of rad and took two weeks off of work. Fortunately for me, I have worked for the same company the last 10+ years and they were very understanding and supportive. I had vacation and sick leave coming and took it for this little problem. I also drove myself to the treatments each day. So I could not take meds even for that. The skin issue was a little unpleasant to look at as I did have some bleeding, but they gave me some white cream to put on which kept out any germs or infection. You will be in my prayers. I know you can deal with this situation, but prayer works and will hopefully ease your concerns through the coming treatments. Also, as I didn't want to know what was coming, I didn't read anything that had to do with this disease. My wife took care of all of that so I could just focus on getting through it. Thank God for my wife. She was the knowledgeable resource with all of the doctors. As usual, I just went in the direction she pointed me and did what I was told. But at least I got through it. You will, too!

Regards, Kirk Georgia
Stage IV, T1N2aM0, right tonsil primary, Tonsilectomy 11/03, 35 rad/3cisplatin chemo, right neck dissection 1/04 - 5/04.
#16084 07-28-2004 12:57 PM
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Welcome Tassie

Sorry you will have to go through treatment again. As others have said, the contributors to this board will be of great support to you. Although I was able to drive myself to all my radiation treatments (no strong drugs), I was not able to work because of fatigue. This was a problem because I am self-employed and single but I just had to accept it and concentrate on coping with each day.

Like others, I found the Lance Armstrong book inspiring and a good read. I recommend meditation and visualisation for peace of mind.

Wishing you the best, from Helen with love

RHTonsil SCC Stage IV tx completed May 03
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320