Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Assistant Admin
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Stacey, do they have a spiritual/psychological support department at the center you are going to? It may be worth your while to go and talk to them and get some support.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

We have been told that it's not uncommon for HPV+ SCC patients to not have a discovered Primary when diagnosed as the patients' immune system sometimes clears it after cells break off and lodge in the nodes. A very common HPV+ presentation is BOT or Tonsil Primary with mets to a node or 2 but again sometimes the Primary can not be located. Now radiation is the ONLY treatment that will kill this cancer. Chemo is often added when nodes are infected as the chemo weakens the cancer cells and makes the radiation more effective. You will hear anywhere from 5 to 20 % better kill rates with chemo but chemo alone will NOT stop this cancer from spreading.

Not nearly enough is known about HPV+ SCC but what we do think is that it responds better to the traditional treatment (Radiation and chemo) and therefore has a smaller chance of recurrence than HPV- SCC. Some are trying to determine if a HPV+ patient can be given less radiation or less or no chemo and still achieve the goal which is to KILL the cancer. Unfortunately the standard treatment today for HPV+ patients is the same as HPV- patients. The obvious fear is if you under treat and cancer cells remain, they will continue to grow unabated requiring additional treatment down the road.

So here your husband is with an Occult Primary which MAY OR MAY NOT be eliminated and a infected node which was removed and possibly nodes which are still infected. Clearly if I were his RO I would err on the side of caution and recommend radiation at a minimum. I would also yield to the MO on the chemo decision. But if he decised to stop the ONLY treatment that can kill the cancer cells that still may be present he may well be signing his own death certificate and very painful one at that. This treatment usually only is bad for appx 7 weeks, SEVEN WEEKS is a mere bump in our life's path. Please do not him throw his life away over 7 weeks.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Oh, Stacey, don't let him refuse radiation. It's rough, but besides surgery it's the only thing that will "cure" him. They did chemo for me primarily as a back-up. The fact that he is positive for HPV is actually in his favor, from what I have read. Hang in there, and get as much information as you can.

Female, nonsmoker, 70, diag. 5/09 after tongue biopsy: stage IV. Left hemi-gloss. and left selec. neck disec. 30 lymph nodes removed May 20. Over 7 weeks daily rads. with three chemo. PEG removed 12/4/09 Am eating mostly soft foods. Back to work 11/09 Retired 4/1/11. 7 clear scans! Port out 9/11. 2/13. It's back: base of tongue, very invasive
surgery involving lifestyle changes. 2/14: Now speaking w/Passey-Muir valve. Considering a swallow study. Grateful to be alive.
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Hi there... ditto what everyone else said. Just because they removed it surgically... even if there is no show on a scan, does not mean there is no cancer present. Cancer is cellular. There may be only a few cancer cells present and it will not show up on a scan but it could very well grow into a tumor and spread and then you are faced with a recurrence. best to have treatment full on to make sure he is clean. take care and welcome. and kids are like that. It scares them to face the possibility. I would give my kids regular updates. and never say... this will never come back. I say hopefully it won't so they are aware that there are no guarantees with this disease. hugs.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Thanks David for the concern about the primary, and reason I asked where the involved lymph was. Stacy, there is other info from the node like it being poorly, or moderately differentiated, non keratizing,etc, and noted it was SCC, which most H&N cancers are, and helpful for treatment. I didn't see it was HPV related until David mentioned it, but saw on subsequent threads it was. David is right that HPV positive has a ponderence to be Tonsil or BOT primary. Usually the first nodal path for orolpharyngeal cancer for neck metatses is in level II, and in oral cancer level I, but there can be skip Metasteses. This effects where high doses of radiation should be directed, and assume that was decided being he is in treatment already. Too bad they didn't find the primary, and didn't see if other work up tests were done to find the primary like a MRI, CT, PET, chest imaging, and if the node was in certain levels, a largynoscope with a direct biopsy for concerned areas, and possible tonsillectomy. Was a neck dissection done or was just the one involved node, removed, If there were two or more lymph involment there should be chemo along with radiation, and then if the is still nodal activity, a neck dissection will probably follow, if not already done, but think they went for radiation first, instead of a neck dissection first.

Like mentioned, HPV positive or not, this still is a deadly disease. HPV positive shows it responds better to treatment, has better outcome, both maybe up to 20 percent, but that doesn't add up to a 100 percent cure rate when the 5 year overall survival rate for late stage H&N cancer, which your has is less than 50 percent. It's more like 38 percent for oropharyngeal, and a little higher for oral cancer in the 40 range, and goes even further down based on other factors based on number of nodal involvement, distant metastases The sign of lymph node Metastases is a a strong indicator of prognosis, usually poor. The first shot at this is the best shot, when over 40 percent have a recurrence before the 2nd year. I'm in my 5th. The advise here from Christine, David, Cheryl, and others said are on target to get your husband motivated to kill this cancer once and for all.

Good luck, and take care.

Last edited by PaulB; 12-11-2012 10:12 AM.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo
11/14 All Teeth Extract 30 HBO
03/15 Sequestromy Buccal Flap ORN
09/16 Mandibulectomy Fib Flap Sternotomy
04/17 Regraft hypergranulation Donor Site
06/17 Heart Attack Stent
02/19 Finally Cancer Free Took 10 yrs

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Stacy, if you look at the NCCN Guidelines available on this site (see link below) and look up the Occult Primary pages, you will see that radiation or chemo/radiation to the most likely primary site is recommended.

http://oralcancerfoundation.org/treatment/pdf/head-and-neck.pdf

Printing these guidelines had discussing them make a good starting point for discussion.

Best wishes,
Maria

Last edited by Maria; 12-11-2012 03:55 PM.

CG to husband - SCC Tonsil T1N2M0 HPV+ Never Smoker
First symptoms 7/2010, DX 12/2010
TX 40 IRMT (1.8 gy) + 10 Cetuximab
PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.
Stacey Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

PaulB,

My husband developed Mucositis over the weekend and diagnosed Monday. He had to cancel RT today because he was too sick. I called the RO and they had me bring him in immediately. I asked the RO leading questions based on the questions that I hear from you and the fellow posters. He explained to my husband that the lymph nodes under the chin could be cancerous and that doctors are not perfect and they can't possibly see every cancerous cell so RT is the only answer.

I would describe the neck level as the lower half of the left side.

Thanks

Stacey (Caregiver to Husband)
Lymph Node Removed 10/12
Dx SCC MET 10/12
No Primary Tumor Found
IMRT x 33 (Started RT late 11/12)
CT Scan and PET Scan Clear 4/13

Stacey Offline OP
OP Offline

Christine,

I am trying to help my husband and kids learn the facts slowly. I do it many times by asking the Dr questions in front of my husband (that I already know the answer to because of this forum). I have to take it one step at a time. I thought my husband was going to give up today. I had to call his family and ask them to talk to him. He couldn't talk but he agreed to continue RT and 5 IV treatments.

I appreciate all of the support.

Lymph Node Removed 10/12
Dx SCC MET 10/12
No Primary Tumor Found

Stacey Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Charm2017,

I asked the Dr today if they had tested his 'TCH', explained I didn't know what that was and they thought I was talking about marijuana. We quickly corrected that and the RO felt it was not important to know that result. He said 18 months after finishing treatment that it should be tested and then he could go on Synthroid. They even did a blood test and didn't even test that after I mentioned it. I may take him to for a second opinion but the obvious problem is he is so sick already.

Thank you for your post.

Lymph Node Removed 10/12
Dx SCC MET 10/12
No Primary Tumor Found

Stacey Offline OP
OP Offline

David and Paul,

I appreciate this information so much. I can tell you tomorrow how the tumorous area were described. They did every test mentioned except for chest x-ray. I have him committed to going to the next 5 RT sessions...I am driving. His MO told him that he would be completely cured since it was from a HPV+ virus with no primary tumor.

I will do whatever it takes to make him stick with the RT.

Thanks to everyone that responded.

Lymph Node Removed 10/12
Dx SCC MET 10/12
No Primary Tumor Found

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311