Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hello, Dawn. To answer your questions about the PEG, yes it is an outpatient procedure, not more than a about 90 minutes from check-in to walk out for me, and no, a little soreness for a day or so but no need for pain meds in my case. And yes, he can take anything by mouth he is able to while he has the tube. For a whole lot of information, settle back and do a search of this forum for PEG tube. You will find hours of reading, as this has been discussed a lot (understatement). You appear to be doing a wonderful job as your dad's advocate, Dawn. Stay strong, and let us know how both of you are doing.

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

hey Dawn,

a fine advocate like you is one of the best helps we cancer folks have... you are really appreciated.

my peg tube was a short proceedure but i needed to spend the night in the hospital. the following day, urine needed to be functioning for me to get out... morphine was used to reduce pain while i was in the hospital...

however i'd like to say that for me the proceedure was relatively painless and the overnight was not that big a deal.

i used the peg for about 18 months after my rad/chemo treatment started...eating again has been a slow steady processes back to regular food. i've been very surprised by the healing time but thankful that the improvement continues.
i am a big advocate of pegs for folks who need them.

best wishes,
cu,
larryb

'01 diagnosis.. jaw hing and base of tongue. surgery not possible. JHU used radiation and chemo to seemingly rid me of the beast. peg for about 19 months. 100 cases of 24 cans of liquid food. 9 months eating therapy. 3x esophagus stretches. non-smoker. previously a social drinker.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics