Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

Thanks Christine. I have not had a hearing test, but will inquire. Yes, I have had dental trays made for the treatments, also a tongue guard. The dental oncologist that is following me says we will use the trays for the fluoride as well.

Barbara/Babs/BJ
Oct.8,2012
SCC BOT WITH LEFT NECK LYMPHADENOPATHY
Mod rad neck dis,left, levels I through IV
partial gloss
microdirect laryngoscopy with biopsy
bronchoscopy
lingual tonsillectomy
HPV
rad-rapid arc imrt x35
cisplatin x3
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi Barbara,

I was pretty nervous about the mask at first too, but I didn't find it that bad. I was also prescribed ativan, but it just made me sleepy and i realized after a few timse i didnt need it. i just tried to view the 15 minutes or so i was in the machine as a time to rest and relax. i usually would just close my eyes and try and take advantage of that time to reflect, think, say prayers... the time seemed to go by pretty quickly to me. hopefully it won't be too bad for you!

Emily - 24 years old at diagnosis
HPV-, no risk factors
T2N2b Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Left oral tongue, poorly differentiated
Hemiglossectamy, reconstruction, partial neck dissection
30 Radiation treatments, weekly chemo (cisplatin)
1/13/12 last day of treatment
Diagnosed October 2011
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Barbara,

I started using my trays 1 month pre radiation.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Barbara, we're all here to help you. The mask is indeed a scary thing! I brought my iPod and small speakers in there and listened to music or an audio book. If that's not possible you might also consider a Zen technique I learned from my brother - counting my slowly exhaling breaths slowly backward from 10. When I got to zero I started again. Just an idea.

Please keep us posted and ask any questions no matter how insignificant they may seem. Someone here will likely have an answer.

My thoughts are with you.

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
OP Offline

Okay, I got through the verification simulation with the mask on Nov 8. I took 1 Ativan and my husband was in the room until they closed the door. When they snapped me in I had a moment and they had to take it off. Got it together, went somewhere else in my head and made it through. My RTTs, Rachel and Carlos were wonderful! Then on Friday, Nov 9 they put the g tube in through the abdominal wall and also put the port in. I had been told it would feel like I'd been kicked in the stomach for a few days. More like cut in the stomach and then kicked a bunch of times. Wow, it hurts more than the neck dissection! I am the person that never even had pain numbing meds when having dental work done, and definitely nothing when I delivered my two sons. I feel like I need pain medication for everything now. Crazy. The past few days have been really tough emotionally/mentally, but I feel a little stronger this morning. I will get the "kick it in the ass" attitude back before rads start. I start radiation on Tuesday and my first cisplatin on Thursday. I still have a lot of questions for the chemo doc as there seems to be a break down in communication already. I seem to be rambling and I am not sure if I'm posting correctly. I've not done anything like this before, so hope I'm following your rules.

Barbara/Babs/BJ
Oct.8,2012
SCC BOT WITH LEFT NECK LYMPHADENOPATHY
Mod rad neck dis,left, levels I through IV
partial gloss
microdirect laryngoscopy with biopsy
bronchoscopy
lingual tonsillectomy
HPV
rad-rapid arc imrt x35
cisplatin x3
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Hi Barbara

Good for you. You found that mental place you have to go to during radiation! Once you can do that radiation becomes a matter of counting down the numbers and dealing - usually later in treatment - with side effects.

Don't be so hard on yourself -if you need pain meds take them. There are no prizes for getting through this pain killer free! Do what you need to do - absolutely no apologies or explanations needed. Your body has and will be assaulted. - listen to it.

Donna

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

[quote=barbara WHITEHERSE] Got it together, went somewhere else in my head and made it through.[/quote]

This is exactly what my very claustrophobic hubby did during rads. He is a private pilot and he would take virtual cross country flights in his head..no meds needed.

Congrats on getting past this hurdle..I know it was hard.

Deb

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Congrats on getting through it! smile onwards and upwards!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics