Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hello Mary!
Congratulations on your cancer survival! Most here are Squamous cell people but we are not discriminatory. You might tell a little more about your treatments so we can relate.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Mary

Welcome to our community, and contratulations on your cancer servival from me also. There was a poster here a few months ago who'se father in law had oral malignant melanoma, they also felt sort of out in the dark because of the rarity of that type of cancer. Curious about the type of treatment you recieved.

Bob

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

You have come to the right place to talk, vent, ask, help just about everything you can think,,so can we,,,i am new to this site as well,, hope we can become great survivors together....Always Miss Vicki

Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Welcome Mary, and once again congratulations on your cancer survival. Happy that you found us and you won't have to feel alone any longer. As the others have said this is the place to ask any questions you may have or vent if you feel the need to.
David

Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Let me add yet another "welcome to the boards"!!

I discovered this wonderful community in January right during the middle of my radiation treatments... There are some wonderful, wonderful angels here... So feel free to ask, vent, cry, celebrate, etc. here... You are guaranteed to have listening ears and supportive shoulders...

Eric

Tongue cancer (SCC), diagnosed Oct. 2003 (T2 N0 M0). Surgery to remove tumor. IMRT Radiation 30x in Dec 2003 - Jan. 2004. Recurrence lymph node - radical neck dissection June 2004. Second round of rad/chemo treatments ended Sept. 2004.
Mary K Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the warm welcomes. I think my docs (primary, ENT, oncologist, etc) even find it frustrating because they are unable to give me much info on malignant melanoma of the tongue, causes, survival rate, treatment options besides the surgery, etc. Besides very regular visits sometimes I worried I'm going to show up for a doctor's appointment but at the wrong doc smile
checkups, bloodwork, and then body scans every six months there isn't much they offer but to try and stay on top of it and request that I stay on a very healthy diet and exercise. Any changes in the way I feel or any lesions I'm to go in asap. But it will be nice to at least have someplace to go (these boards) when I need to talk, vent, cry, laugh (I joke with the docs that I've been poked and prodded, etc so much but too bad none is for enjoyment). I also tell my children that I'm one of those special one in a couple of million people to get this.

Mary

Mary K.

Hi Mary
As carer and a patient I worry that one of us will finish up at the wrong docs.. UM.. could be good..lol.. he could have my op.. but I might find his prostate cancer a bit difficult...
Helen

SCC Base of tongue, (TISN0M0) laser surgery, 10/01 and 05/03 no clear margins. Radial free flap graft to tonsil pillar, partial glossectomy, left neck dissection 08/04
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics