Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Jan21 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello
Recently my mom went through a 7=hour surgery for cancer of the mouth that also spread to her lymp nodes on her neck. As far as we know, the doctors did get all cancer and now she will begin radiation next week. As a preventative for the side effects from radiation (dry mouth, problems with swallowing), she had a PEG tube inserted in her stomach and was kept overnight. She came home today but is in a lot of pain since yesterday. She has lost so much weight already and I'm really worried about her. Does anyone have info. about the tube and what can be done to aleviate the pain. Thanks for info.

"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hi Jan and welcome to OCF! Look at our 'signature', as it will tell you much about what my husband has survived these past few months.
Buzz had a great deal of pain following the insertion of his PEG..so great that I took him to the E.R. for evaluation. I understand that he just happened to be one of the few who experience pain following the procedure.
Within 48 hours, he began to feel okay, so maybe your mom will do the same.
I thank God every day for the PEG. Buzz was dead-set against having one, but finally relented. Now, he is SO glad to have it, as his mouth & throat are so bad now. He has lost about 30 lbs...so just think how bad it COULD be, if not for the PEG.
Tell us more about your mom's surgery and feel free to ask ANY questions you may have at any time. There's always someone who will try to help you!

Keep us posted as to her progress!

Lois & Buzz in NC

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"

Hi jan ,and welcome

Having the peg inserted seems to be fairly painless,but for a couple of days afterwards it is bound to be sore,after all some one has punched a hole right through her skin into her stomach.If it continues to be painful it is worth getting her checked out as it may be something as simple as the clip being to tight .Just make sure you keep the site round the base of the peg clean and hopefully things will get better soon.

love liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.

Jan, I had my PEG tube re-inserted about three weeks ago and I was pretty uncomfortable for about 4 days afterwards. Give it time.

Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.
Jan21 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you so much for the replies. It's so overwhelming to go through this with my mom. I know each day it will get better. It helps to have this site to post any questions, concerns. It's very helpful. May the road ahead be a positive and healing energy for all.

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Jan Tell them to check and be sure the PEG is not to tight. I got a lot of relief when they loosened mine...

Kevin

18 YEAR SURVIVOR
SCC Tongue (T3N0M0) diag 06/2006.
No evidence of disease 2010
Another PET 12-2014 pre-HBO, still N.E.D.

�Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. It matters that you don't just give up.�
Stephen Hawking

I hope this helps at least a little. My mother had a very similar surgery over 25 years ago. Back then, they knew little about oral cancer. But somehow, she managed to get through and did well. No one seemed to know back then to check other organs, like the lungs and so six years later THAT was a very bad problem. But she did survive her mouth cancer and surgery well. Thank goodness for this website. I know she (and I) would have greatly benefited from such support. Sending positive thoughts to you both.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23