Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
JAMOS #153945 08-31-2012 02:02 PM
JAMOS Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Just an update. I am scheduled for my feeding tube wed. Will have to stay in the hospital that night and have my first rad treatment the following day at noon. Chemo the 10th or 11th.

Finally getting this show on the road. I've been off since last Wed. Enjoying the baby and taking my oldest to and from school. Funny how this can make you wake up and appreciate life so much.

Maintaining my weight as of now. Pain is still horrible but I've just gotten used to it. May try and up my patch next time I see the doc.

getting nervous the closer it gets. i know the side effects may not come for a few weeks. it's knowing once i start there is no looking back.

Age 35, Former smoker/drinker HPV+
Ear Ache 5/12
GP for ear ache 6/18
ENT for ear ache 7/12
CT shows cancer 7/12
Biopsy 8/12
diagnosed SCC
Base of tongue right side
Barely crossed midline
Nodes involved
PEG 9/12
35 IMRT start Sept 6th
Cisplastin x3 1 down 2 to go
JAMOS #153950 08-31-2012 04:10 PM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Do the best you can to eat all your favorites now. Your sense of taste will change and swallowing will get difficult. This is temporary but will be an annoyance that seems to hang around for longer than it should.

Line up anyone who offers to help you. Write down their name and number and let them know you will call them when the time comes. It could be for anything, to babysit the little one or a play date for the older child. Anything that will give your family a break to have a bit of normalcy or quiet.

Call the American Cancer Society. They will help with transportation to your treatments. I am a volunteer driver for my area and take patients for appointments. They will also provide you with either a $300 voucher for the pharmacy or up to $300 to help cover the costs of transportation to treatments. The pharmacy voucher will cover your co-pays on prescriptions. Some pills can cost over $100 per pill before insurance. Either way you decide to use the $300, it will help.

Be prepared to take in every single day a minimum of 2500 calories and 48 oz of water. This is not optional and must be done every single day. If not you will quickly become dehydrated and malnourished and wind up hospitalized. Im not trying to scare you but I want you to be aware going into this of what is mandatory. Ive spent too many nights crying in the hospital for malnutrition and dehydration, I felt horrible and I dont want to see that happen to you. Dont skimp one day thinking you can make it up the next one cuz that never happens, playing catch up doesnt work. Also you need to swallow every single day, even just sips of water is ok to keep the swallowing muscles active so they dont forget.

Make sure you have dental trays made for flouride and a full blood count including thyroid and testosterone levels. Better to go into this prepared so you can sail right thru and move on to your recovery. The better your nutrition, the easier this will be for you. If you need help with the feeding tube, I am full of little tricks that will make it easier. Make sure you ask for a pump so you can do feedings while you sleep. By doing some of the feeding at night it will make it so you dont have to push so much during the day.

Best wishes with everything!!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

WOW, Josh. Christine really hit on just about anything that you can expect. I'm so glad you found this Forum. Right now is the time to eat every and anything you desire and not worry about calories. I wasn't lucky enough to have found the Forum when I was at your stage in the game mad, and had no one to tell me about the importance of nutrition and hydration, so I lost a bunch of weight and wasn't big to begin with. Again, you're ready to go, and come back often to let us know how things are going and seek help, if necessary.
Your Alabama Buddy, Julieann

Julieann
Nov 2007 SCC on right tonsil following tonsillectomy. Was smoker, QUIT. (Stage IV T2 N2b) 7 weeks radiation one day/wk chemo (carboplatin and 5-FU). Allergic to Taxol; PEG in, lost 30 lbs. TX completed January 2008. PEG out mid- 2008. PET/CT 1/17/2011;2/3/12 NEGATIVE for cancer smile
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics