Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I am one year out (July 2012) after having a radical neck disection and a partial glausectomy. All of a sudden I have developed severe neck muscle spasms on the side where the disection took place. The PET Scan showed scar tissue, but cancer free!

The cramping is so bad, it can put you to your knees. I have been putting on heat and massaging the area following my neck muscle from my chin to the base of the neck.

I am scheduled for PT. Any idea of how long this goes on and any other suggestions?

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Several on the forums, myself included have had this issue. I still do intermittently although not as bad as it was right after surgery. It's nerve damage and PT will help as will time.

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Bill, welcome to OCF! Yes, scar tissue can be painful. Im sorry to hear about your muscle spasms. Ive encountered them before but in my face. They hurt so bad like someone stuck me with a knife. I would be walking or talking and stop dead in my tracks. Its a terrible pain! It will improve and become less and less in time, I rarely get anything like that now several years post surgery. Next doctors visit make sure to mention this to them and ask how long you will deal with this issue.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Bill

Yeah, those neck muscle spasms are quite painful as I also know all too well. Yoga and stretching in a steam room helped me.
Mine were exacerbated by having another round of radiation after the neck dissection which caused even more scarring and fibrosis. It's been three years and the pain has subsided to just an ache with only occasional flashbacks to the sharp old pain. Tincture of Time is the only thing that has really worked for me. Eventually it gets better.
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13

Hi I am 7 years post surgery, radiation and chemo and continue to get neck and shoulder pain and on occasions severe cramping. I have tried all sorts of remedies from medications to acupuncture. I have come to the conclusion that regular stretching , PT and massage although short lived is the only real relief from these conditions. If you have the accessory nerve severed you will have atrophy of the tranpezius muscle and this will also lead to some discomfort and needs to be worked on through PT and the gym if possible. It seems that everybody is different and different things work for different people depending on their exact procedures

Hi I am 7 years post surgery, radiation and chemo and continue to get neck and shoulder pain and on occasions severe cramping. I have tried all sorts of remedies from medications to acupuncture. I have come to the conclusion that regular stretching , PT and massage although short lived is the only real relief from these conditions. If you have the accessory nerve severed you will have atrophy of the tranpezius muscle and this will also lead to some discomfort and needs to be worked on through PT and the gym if possible. It seems that everybody is different and different things work for different people depending on their exact procedures

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics