Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#15023 03-09-2004 03:25 AM
Louski Offline OP
OP Offline

We just found out that she has oral cancer. She is scheduled for a biopsy next week. We're not sure how far along she is, but I am very concerned. I'm not sure what all of this means, and am just starting to do some research online to get as much information as I can.

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Louski,
amd welcome to the site. We're here to help in any way we can.

It is a little speculative for a hard Dx of cancer without the biopsy report. Most of us here consider the patholgy report to be proof positive.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Louski Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you, Gary! Does that mean that there is a chance that it may not be cancer after all? I know I want to be prepared for it, but it would be nice to know that there's a chance it's something else.

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Louski, Sorry to hear that you have to deal with this. It is possible to view a lesion and assume it is cancer when it is not. On the other hand certain lesions have a pretty recognizable appearance. The biopsy is the way to know for sure. You have found the right place for support here if it is cancer. Someone here at OCF regularly adds this quote:

"Cancer is a word not a sentence".

Try to remember that as things move along. Keep us posted as you go!

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.

Not being a doctor I can only share my own personal experience. An ENT who Dx'd me initially told me it had a high probability of being SCC. When I subsequently saw a head & neck surgeon, my tumor was huge and readily visible - he listed a number of things it could be besides SCC. Some were benign. There are other forms of cancer besides SCC which may or may not be as serious as SCC. That's quite a wide range of opinion between 2 doctors who specialize in the throat.

The toughest part of cancer is the initial workup and Dx. It is the time for the most fear and anxiety. Once they have all of the information and a solid Dx, things level out a lot more, especially once treatment begins.

I am basing what I said on very limited information. You didn't mention any of the particulars, what kind of doctor made the call, etc. Age and lifestyle are factors. Is she going to a comprehensive cancer center?

The next hurdle is to find out the staging and type (if it is cancer). The biopsy will reveal most of that information.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Louski....

I agree with Gary about the diagnosis part of all this. That was a most stressful time. Once that happens you are on a whirlwind of activity . And a sense of relief that things are happening to help you get rid of this disease. Stay with us and let us know how your sister is doing.

Khaja
SCC Base of Tongue Stage IV. Diagnosed 12/02
Louski Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you all so much for all the helpful information. The initial Dx was from her dentist. He said she had several problems with her mouth. She has always had dental issues...she was born with no enamel on her teeth. He said she has TMJ, right jaw displacement, gingivitis and oral cancer. So, I will keep you posted and let you know once the biopsy results are in. Thank you all again SO very much. I really appreciate it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23