Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
AnaD Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

Ok, just when I didn't think things could get more challanging, they did. Husband came down with strep through, dx at 8:30 tonight. I call the onc, get a fellow who says she does not thing he'll get treatment. Email med onc, he says, yes bring him in for regular induction chemo tomorrow.

Has anyone here fallen ill (non-cancer related) during treatment? Did you have to skip a treatment? What does skipping a treatment do to survivability? Honestly guys, looking for cold hard facts here if anyone has experience in this area.

wife/caregiver to Vince, dx 4/12 Stage IV BOT HPV+ SCC, poorly diff.; T4N2cMo; U of C; Clinical trial, Everolimus; 6 wks ind. chemo (Cetuximab, Cisplatin & Taxol), 50 x IMRT, 75 gy chemorad w/5FU, Hydrea & Taxol; 5 years out, thankfully still NED
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Kiwi Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

I wouldn't think that they would give him chemo if his white cell count is up or if he has an infection. The chemo may affect and lower his white cell count which means he is less able to fight off the infection. Likely then, they will just dely this round of chemo.
In the scheme of things this is not likely to affect his outcome/ survivability.
Many people miss a round or two of chemo because they are not in a condition to have it.
The med. oncologist told us that the studies show that this has no effect on outcomes.
Good luck,
Tammy

Caregiver/advocate to Husband Kris age 59@ diagnosis
DX Dec '10 SCC BOT T4aN2bM0 HPV+ve.Cisplatin x3 35 IMRT.
PET 6/11 clear.
R) level 2-4 neck dissection 8/1/11 to remove residual node - necrotic with NED
Feb '12 Ca back.. 3/8/12 total glossectomy/laryngectomy/bilat neck dissection/partial pharyngectomy etc. clear margins. All nodes negative for disease. PEG in.
March 2017 - 5 years disease free. Woohoo!
AnaD Offline OP
OP Offline

The did the blood work when we got here, which all looked great. WBC 6600. The drug on the menu today is Cetubamax (sp/?) shrink's blood supply to tumor, but does not tank WBC, so he is being given treatement this am, thank goodness.

wife/caregiver to Vince, dx 4/12 Stage IV BOT HPV+ SCC, poorly diff.; T4N2cMo; U of C; Clinical trial, Everolimus; 6 wks ind. chemo (Cetuximab, Cisplatin & Taxol), 50 x IMRT, 75 gy chemorad w/5FU, Hydrea & Taxol; 5 years out, thankfully still NED
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Yeah...!! Glad he's okay!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Ana,
I looked into this when the radiotherapy machine went down a couple of time when my husband was being treated. While it's best to stick as close to protocol as possible, the study I looked at (as British one, I think) showed that you had to be quite a ways out of protocol to show a significant reduction in survival. In my husband's case, "out of protocol" was missing more than 6 IMRT sessions out of 40 (they would be made up at the end). Vince's hospital will have procedures for dealing with misses - you may want to ask about it.

Perfect attendance is, I think, more the exception than the rule. Besides unrelated illnesses, icestorms and hurricanes happen, patients may need a break due to the rigors of the therapy itself. You and Vince will do your best, I am sure, and not take unscheduled breaks to party!

Which drugs are they using in the induction phase?

Last edited by Maria; 05-25-2012 12:30 PM.

CG to husband - SCC Tonsil T1N2M0 HPV+ Never Smoker
First symptoms 7/2010, DX 12/2010
TX 40 IRMT (1.8 gy) + 10 Cetuximab
PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

They had to stop my radiation and one chemo session for nearly a week because my neck was so badly burned. I was able to continue, though, and they tacked on the missed days at the end. I am nearly three years out, and so far, so good, so the "break" didn't hurt me, other than having the treatments drag on longer than originally anticipated.

Female, nonsmoker, 70, diag. 5/09 after tongue biopsy: stage IV. Left hemi-gloss. and left selec. neck disec. 30 lymph nodes removed May 20. Over 7 weeks daily rads. with three chemo. PEG removed 12/4/09 Am eating mostly soft foods. Back to work 11/09 Retired 4/1/11. 7 clear scans! Port out 9/11. 2/13. It's back: base of tongue, very invasive
surgery involving lifestyle changes. 2/14: Now speaking w/Passey-Muir valve. Considering a swallow study. Grateful to be alive.
AnaD Offline OP
OP Offline

He's on two 3 week cycles that go like this

Week 1: Cetuximab, Cicplatin & Taxol
Week 2: Cetuximab
Week 3: Cetuximab
repeat...
Week 4: Cetuximab, Cicplatin & Taxol
Week 5: Cetuximab
Week 6: Cetuximab

Today was Week 2, thank goodness, a much smaller day than last week. He tolerated the treatment just fine today, here's hoping smaller tx day means smaller reactions this week. It so nice to see him with a healthy appetite again.

AnaD Offline OP
OP Offline

oops, meant to add...with a Neulasta shot thrown in after the big chemo days on Week 1 & 4, plus the normal anti nausea meds on those weeks too, optional on the other weeks.

Hi, Ana
Some of members have gone through similar induction cycles and have done very well. Having gone through an attack of the what if's (you sound like me!) please try to focus on what you can do to avoid them ... which is great nutrition and hydration for your husband, and managing some enjoyable time together for both of you. My husband and I actually enjoyed being stuck in traffic going to and from treatment - we would listen to the radio ... and just be. Your husband's treatment cycle is a long one, and it's important not to get physically or mentally exhausted early on. Working our dog every morning was probably a factor in getting through in good order for my husband!
Maria

PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.
AnaD Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Maria. This week is going much better. As it was a much smaller chemo treatment day, his appetite is back with a vengance. He's hungry and I'm feeding him every time he opens his mouth. He's up to around 3,500 calories and slowing putting back on some of the 11 lbs he lost...life is good. We've previously had some questions about how far we should go to keep him from picking up germs. The strep panic last week about did it for us both...we now carry hand sanitizer and lysol everywhere, have limited traffic in the house and avoid all crowds. Until this is over, It's just not worth the risk.

Re: enjoyable time, it's interesting you should mention that, because I've been thinking about the silver linings of this experience. Hubby is being treated in a part of Chicago we did not previously know very well, Hyde Park. University of Chicago is just beautiful! Got to see President Obama's house, found a great new deli. Chicago is such a great town, and we're getting to see a whole new side of it. That's our silver lining for the week...:)

My son attended U of Chicago, so we got to know Hyde Park as well. If you are interested in art or archeology, the Oriental Institute is pretty spectacular - and usually not crowded. You can probably find an off-time to see Robie house (FL Wright) - we never managed that. Thoughts and prayers with you both!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics