Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

Hi Maria,

I gave up smoking over five years ago, alcohol also at the same time, this is when my leukoplakia was first discovered. It was biopsied and came back negative, then a couple of years later was lasered off and biopsied again, also negative. But the leukoplakia returned and I waited too long this time to have it looked at, so the stage one tumor was diagnosed.

I am wondering about a lot of things around the initial surgery and the followup reconstruction. Like how long in between these usually? How long will I need the feeding tube after the first surgery? Until after the reconstruction? Or will I be able to eat and swallow normal food even before the reconstruction? Will I be able to talk at all after the first surgery, before the reconstruction? How long is the recovery period for each of these surgeries? I am nervous about the reconstruction, too, since the Czech doctors sort of hinted that they weren't so good at it when they suggested I go to the UK for this (which is unfortunately not an option for me in any case, I have only Czech insurance).

So anything you can add will be helpful to me before I go for the rest of the results on Monday and then try for a second opinion at the comprehensive cancer center here.

Thanks so much!

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Bob,
'how longs' are always hard to answer - depends on the exact procedure and how well you heal. If you search on reconstruction, you should be able to find some relatively recent posts on this topic. My husband did not have this time of treatment and I am not well up on it.

If the Czech doctors are suggesting the UK for reconstruction treatment - do you have any family resources to draw on where this would be a possibility? I don't know about the UK, but it is possible to negotiate prices with the hospital in the States if one is uninsured.

CG to husband - SCC Tonsil T1N2M0 HPV+ Never Smoker
First symptoms 7/2010, DX 12/2010
TX 40 IRMT (1.8 gy) + 10 Cetuximab
PET Scans 6/2011 + 3/2012 clear, 5 year physical exam clear; chest CT's clear of cancer. On thyroid pills. Life is good.
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Hi there again - I had a fantastic surgeon, he and a plastics guy removed the tumor and rebiult at the same time I have terrific mobility and just a small lisp courtesy of radiation actually. Radiation does the most damage to your mouth and swallowing - you may need eat soft foods for a bit but you should be okay foodwise after a bit I was eating pretty much everything at 2 weeks. My surgery was 14 hours and recovery 4 weeks to almost normal. You will have trouble talking the first few days particularly if they put a trache in. After that it should improve quickly. Definitely get a second opinion.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
"OCF Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hello Bob,
Your history of leukoplakia was similar to mine. Came up negative over many years and biopsies until August 2006 when it was positive for SCC.
Like Cheryl my reconstruction (flap from wrist plus skin from thigh to cover wrist donor site) was all done during the 14 hour operation.
There was a team involved including the Oral Surgeon, the Plastic Surgeon and even a dentist to remove 4 teeth for where the flap would be anchored plus others.
I was in intensive care for a week being fed by a nasal (NG) tube and had lots of other tubes attached for other bodily functions plus IV antibiotics. Then I had a week in a room where slowly pureed food was introduced. It took a few weeks before I could talk and be understood.
I hope this has answered some of your question and I am happy to help with more information if I can.
I am a little unclear as to why you are having your reconstruction at a later time.
I can only presume it was not the same as my all-in-one operation which also included biopsies and a small amount of bone being taken for analysis.
Just to let you know I have been able to eat almost anything these last few years and even though my speech is not 100% I get by very well and can make myself understood without any problems.
Please keep us up to date with your results and second opinion which you are very wise to get wink
Gabriele

History Leukoplakia bx 8/2006 SCC floor mouth T3N0M0- Verrucous Carcinoma.
14 hour 0p SCC-Right ND/excision/marginal mandibulectomy 9/2006, 4 teeth removed, flap from wrist, trach-ng 6 days- no chemo/rad.
6 ops and debulking (flap/tongue join) + bx's 2006-2012.
bx Jan 2012 Hyperkeratosis-Epithelial Dysplasia
24cm GIST tumour removed 8/2013. Indefinite Oral Chemo.

1/31/16 passed away peacefully surrounded by family

"OCF across the pond"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Cuban Keith
I am pretty much signed up for quick 6 weeks Cysplatin then Chemo radiation another 6 weeks. Why am I getting cold Feet. I know I am lucky it has been caught early. Know I have a faith they can tackle this cancer I am getting greedy and hoping I walk away with minimum long lasting secondary effects?
Sorry Cherl but How fast does this baby pick up speed?
I was hoping to take a time out for a couple of weeks and collect my wifes Aunty from Cuba to help my Wife and kids cope with me when it get a bit rough?
Having 8 teeth out has been the first symptom I have experienced so it is hard to walk into a heavy treatment regime even if it seems that it the way to go. Hello in Prague hope you like soccer and watch the Euros.
Regarding Guys Hospital in London the care I have been shown has been beyond fantastiC?

21st March squall cells.Endescopy not oesophagus, ENT .April endo nose CAT MRI general Panendoscopy prim-HPV 16 base of left tongue one node-stage 2.23rd of May.14/5/12 9 teeth out.8/6/12 PICC inserted.11/6/12 1st Chemos 25/6/12 2nd Chemo Cisplatin5FU:27/6/12 PEG23/8/12 Radiation finished 1/9/12.
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Frankly when I found out I had a tumor I wanted it out NOW - I was biopsied dec 10 - diagnosis given dec 20th clear chest and head ct dec 21' - by the 27th I could feel a node involved - and my cancer was "well differentiated" once it starts to move it takes off even if it's not aggressive, it does of course depend on your body. But I told my surgeon when I met with him a few weeks after my dx - get it out Now - then after surgery when he told me he thought I was cured (not something i took lightly) but he still wanted me to do rads and chemo, I said - how soon.. I want to start it ASAP.

The sooner you start it the sooner it's done. Plus if there is a something microscopic left the longer you wait the more time it has to grow and spread, and at that point it may not be that easy to catch. Hugs ... Don't be scared it won't be fun but you can do it.

Last edited by Cheryld; 05-21-2012 12:06 AM.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics