Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

I just wanted to start a topic that focuses on radiation expiernces. I know I never thought at the beginning of the week I'd be fine and then the next day I couldn't talk with out being in severe pain.
What were your side effects? How long before they went away?

I also wouldn't mind some email buddies to talk to if anyone is up for that

Last edited by John of arc; 05-04-2012 08:50 AM.

Taking a break from the forum for a while. Thank you so much for your support if you've been supportive.
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

The only side effect that I had was like a really bad sunburn. In time it went away.

Female- Age 49, Non-smoker, I Had 6 weeks of rad/30 treatments, No Chemo.
1/2 of my tongue had to be removed as well as Lymph Nodes. Surgery was 11 & 1/2 Hours long. 40 Lymph Nodes where removed, only one was cancerous. smile

My Motto since my diagnoses- It's All In The Attitude!!!
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

My husband's first three weeks of radiation were uneventful. He was taking an anti-anxiety med an hour before Tx to help with the mask. So, he was tired from the start. By the 4th week, his mouth hurt, making swallowing painful. He had a PEG put in before Tx began and started using it in the 4th week. His skin was red like a bad sunburn, and had some hair loss on the back of his head (it grew back since). He had an open sore on his skin along his incision line. The remaining weeks, 5,6 and 7, were very tough. Increased mouth pain, increased fatigue, dry mouth, and thickened secretions persisted through the 4 weeks post radiation.

To handle the side effects, he was on gabapentin and Magic Mouthwash for mouth pain. My best to you as you get through this. You can do it!

Anita (68)
CG to husband, Clark, 79,
DX SCC 11/07, T4N0Mx, PEG 1/08, RAD, post rad infection 3/08,
HBOT 40 dives, ORN, Surg 11/09 mandibulectomy w/fibular graft.
Plastic Surg 4/10, 12/10, 3/11, 10/11, 4/12, 10/12. All PETS clear,
PEG out 1/11. 6/11 non union jaw fracture
Fractured jaw w/surgery 7/14
Aspiration pneumonia 7/21, 10/22
PEG 7/21
Botox injections

Bill was working and fairly symptom free thru the third week. By Monday of the 4th week, he could not eat, was in pain and very tired all the time. Week 5 he contracted an infection and had to go into the hospital under strict quarantine..everyone had to mask before coming into his room because his blood counts were so low - he had no way to fight anything. Docs were never able to find where the infection came from but he recovered enough to finish his treatments the next week and actually by two weeks after treatment ended, he was off pain meds and eating by mouth.

So he had the worst time during treatment but recovered very quickly.

Just our experience. YMMV

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill

My side effects were bad. The first 2 weeks were okay, and after that it went downhill. Sores in my mouth, difficulty swallowing and eating, everything tasted bad, loss of appetite, thickening of the saliva and then loss of saliva (which I have never gotten back), exhaustion, secretions in the throat that lasted long after the radiation ended. But, it does get better and you do heal. A year ago now I was in the middle or radiation, and I can't believe how good everything is now.

Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

My side effects were pretty bad, too. At one point they had to stop radiation because my neck was so badly burnt. However, they gave me some cream, which helped, and I was able to complete my treatments. I never had too much trouble talking, but proper nutrition was also a problem. I ended up in the hospital after I had completed my treatments with an IV. That scared me enough that I started using my PEG more because I didn't want to have to go back to the hospital. Make sure you get enough nutrition and stay hydrated. At one time I felt so bad that I didn't even feel like getting dressed.

Female, nonsmoker, 70, diag. 5/09 after tongue biopsy: stage IV. Left hemi-gloss. and left selec. neck disec. 30 lymph nodes removed May 20. Over 7 weeks daily rads. with three chemo. PEG removed 12/4/09 Am eating mostly soft foods. Back to work 11/09 Retired 4/1/11. 7 clear scans! Port out 9/11. 2/13. It's back: base of tongue, very invasive
surgery involving lifestyle changes. 2/14: Now speaking w/Passey-Muir valve. Considering a swallow study. Grateful to be alive.

John, thank you for initiating this Topic. In February we had the very difficult decision on rads. Had ok margins from surgery, 1node contained, and Oncologists split advise on rads. One big missing piece was honest long term quality of life impacts. Dr's generally show worst case, everyone is different, yours probably won't be that bad. For a lot of folks this topic will really help. Thank you.

Nov2011Tonsil Cancer Stage3 T1N1 HPV+, Non-smoker, slight drinker
Dec2011 Radical Tonsilectomy (TORS),
Jan2012 Neck Disection areas 2,3,4
Feb2012 Opinions from 5 RO's decision for No Rads/No Chemo
Jan2013 all clear at 1 year , continue regular check-ups
Jan2014 all clear at 2 years, less frequent check-ups
Jan2015 all clear at 3 years, MRI, chest x-ray, blood work all good
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Every single person who goes thru this is going to have their own unique reactions to medications, treatments, etc. Some will sail right thru rads barely noticing anything more than being a bit fatigued. Others will struggle almost every day. One commonality I see in most patients is that 2 to 3 weeks after they finish radiation they finally begin to feel a little better. Nutrition and hydration are the key to having an easier time. I spent way too many days stuck in the hospital due to a lack of a caregiver helping me with my intake. I can only hope to spare others from that same fate by being a broken record about hydration and nutritional minimums every single day. It really will make a huge difference in how you feel.

John, by posting this topic here on the OCF forum, it has the potential to help hundreds of patients. It will remain here for years to come and show up in search engines all over the internet. This is why its so much better to have the responses noted on this thread than on a private email where no other patients can see it.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

To be sure everyone's reaction to radiation is different. I completed my 7 weeks of radiation last May 27th. I'm doing very well now but it was NOT pleasant. You can read my blog (http://benscancerfight.blogspot.com) from about mid April until the end of May (plus a few weeks after) for a full play-by-play of my fun. But you WILL get through it. Good luck.

Diagnosed in March 2011. Treatment ended May 28, 2011. Back of tongue cancer with one lymph node(stage 4). Feeding tube 5 - 2011, to 9 - 2011. Some saliva and taste. Eating most foods; meat, fish and dry foods not so well. Swallowing pretty normal otherwise. Doing well now. The future? Who knows.
OP Offline

So far Im dealing with a dryer mouth, the inability to eat anything other boost shakes and drink anything other than water or aloe juice, my tongue has swollen quite a bit causing me to bite it and make gashes on the sides that I keep reopening.

Taking a break from the forum for a while. Thank you so much for your support if you've been supportive.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users