Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Anne-Marie #146896 03-07-2012 09:49 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Lima - welcome to our merry little band. We all know what you're going through and we're behind you 100%. You've gotten some great advice from the posters so far. If you're confident in your doctors, go with it. It's as important that you trust that they have your best interests at heart as much as you're confident that they know what they're doing.

Anne-Marie is exactly right about our all being different in re side effects, etc. But as a general rule (for whatever that's worth) 1-2 weeks seems about average from what I've read and from what I experienced as to radiation kicking in with some of the unpleasantness that it normally brings. But at that point our bodies really ARE different, so no further predictions.

Be sure you speak to your docs if you're in pain. Don't tolerate it because there are lots of ways to combat it with medication. My comments have nothing to do with being tough. In fact it's good to be tough, and it's good to laugh. But, and maybe this is more a trait with us guys than with women, we sometimes have a tendency to belittle aches and pains. I know I do. But serious pain will hold back your recovery, so let the docs help you with it if you need it.

That goes for mouth pain especially in the case of RT. There are a lot of home-type remedies if you find that mouth sores are making it difficult to swallow. You didn't mention whether or not you're getting or have gotten a PEG tube. Either way you still have to swallow water to keep the muscles active, and that can be difficult toward the end of rads. Especially if your mouth is as susceptible to sores as mine was. Ask them about a prescription for viscious lidocaine if the pain gets extreme. It can really help.

Ok that's enough blabbering from me for one day. Please keep us informed of your progress and ask any questions here, however insignificant they may be. It's a tough treatment but you sound like a guy who'll get through it!

Courage.

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
David2 #147172 03-15-2012 06:49 PM
OP Offline

lima1818 is also bob. it has been alamost three since dig. so far three rad treatments and two cemo treatments. MAGIC mouthwash is exactly that. thank God someone figured that out.no suegery yet me ENT has not planed surgery. he thinks 30 days of rad and 6 cemo treatments will do it. I hope he is right. while i have had some bad days I know someone has worse si8de efects than me.now that treatment has started my life is in their hands, my attitued is in mine. i will do what ever they say and survive this.
God bless you all, stay strong and live with great respect BOB

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users