Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I am another individual who does not fit the profile; non-smoking, social drinking, middle aged female. I only have one symptom of oral cancer, but it appears to be the biggie... A sore that has not gone away. My sore is located where the gumline meets the upper pallette right near a back molar. It is very hard for me to see it, but the photo from the dentist indicates a white canker sore looking thing, although now my husband says it is red. It doesn't hurt unless I touch it, and then there is alot of tenderness. I have had it for about 3 months, seen the dentist twice, who then sent me to a periodontist, who has done the biopsy. I will find out the results in 3 days, and am starting to make myself a little crazy. My question is, can one have oral cancer without any other symptoms besides a raised bump with tenderness? Also, I have searched the web extensively, and can't find any other syndrome besides oral cancer, that my symptoms reflect!? What else can it be?

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I'm so glad you found this place! It's the best place to be for the latest information and research, plus compassionate help from people who've been where you are. It's good that you had a biopsy and you will get the results very soon. A biopsy is the only way to tell for sure if it is cancer and IF it is then you can start doing something about it. The waiting part is really a crazy-maker but once you find out for sure, you will feel better and can start doing something about it. Everyone is different and some people don't have any pain at all associated with oral cancer. My son did have a lot of pain with it but that was because a nerve was involved where it occurred. But it was caught early enough and he is doing just great now and cancer-free five+ years later! On the main page of OCF, there is a "diagnosis" link you could check out to get ready with any questions you might have for the doctor or for anyone here:
http://oralcancerfoundation.org/diagnosis/index.htm
Not every bump and lump is cancer and I hope yours turns out to be just some other kind or irritation. Try to keep busy for the next couple of days. When the crazy-maker thoughts start to attack try to just give them a time limit like 1-2 minutes and then switch to more positive thoughts. And let us know what is happening with you!

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

There could be all kinds of different diagnosis other than oral cancer. Here is a gallery to check out. Click on each of the photos and then click on the diagnosis tab in the bottom right corner. I think you will be surprised with some of the photos, you think something 'must' be cancer and its isnt. I wish you the very best, hope you wont need to be here but at least you are in a good place if you do. Good luck and keep us posted.

OCF gallery

Last edited by ChristineB; 02-19-2012 08:26 AM.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Hi there - welcome - read my signature line I'm a lot like you... I felt as healthy as a horse except for the sore on my tongue (it was only an open sore after the biopsy, the rest of the time it was red). That's it but if you palpated it you could feel it there inside. And it Hurt - likely due to location. So it's possible it is cancer - and possible its not - only the biopsy will tell for sure - I sincerely hope it's nothing - take care and good luck!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics