Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

On Christmas Eve, 2002 my 40 year old best friend Eric went to a physical at his old family physician. He indicated to the Doctor that although he didn

Caregiver to Eric
Squamous Cell Carcinoma, L. Tonsil
Stage 3 (T2-N1-M0)
5 Years Cancer Free Now
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Jack,

Eric is very fortunate to have such a good friend. My thoughts and prayers are with you both on Tuesday. Keep us updated!

Lisa
SCC of Tongue Stage 1 (T1,N0,M0)
partial glossectomy,modified neck dissection 4/14/03
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Jack
First of all welcome . I came to this forum last November and have found great resources here for info and support. My husband doesn't want the details and isn't interested in this "fool machine" but I have shared some good news when I find it.The road is hard and ever so long and you'll have many questions about all the little disasters that come up and most MDs don't explain or the pt doesn't listen or ask. You're among friends here so just ask. Someone has been through it. I only want to add what a wonderful friend you must be. whatever happens pat yourself on the back and god love ya .It isn't always a "guy thing 'to stick around someone sick. Do you have any young brothers or a son I have a fifteen year old and if they have your genes I'd consider it a plus. Just kidding I don't want her married off for quite some time. If every day you can see the light side a little the darkness isn't so bad at least I try to convince myself of that. It does get pretty dark. I wish you both the best it looks like your a good combo
Diane

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Bravo Jack! You are well on the way to becoming a dynamite patient advocate. There are many who would be very blessed to have someone like you to capture all the details, take notes and do the research. I can't think of a single thing to add to what you are already doing. It's too bad it took the family doctor so long but that happened to me and many others in the group. The main thing is you've got a good competent team and treatment is beginning. The worst part, really is the pre-treatment, diagnosic phase. It's all downhill from there. Always remember "this too shall pass". There is a beginning and an end and Eric will get through to the other side. Stay in the "now" and out of the future -it's much easier to fight the battle this way. We'll be praying for you both and we're here anytime you need us.

Gary Allsebrook
----------------------------------
SCC, Stage III, right tonsil (T3N0M0)
Cisplatin Chemo x2, IMRT radiation x33
treatment began 1/28/03
treatment ended 3/19/03

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)

I think that the PEG (feeding) tube is a critical part to receiving proper nutrition and "coming out the other side." Therefore, please help your friend understand that getting proper nutrition needs to supersede his being uncomfortable with the tube, if he in fact is. These feelings are normal and subside over time.

During the several months following my surgery and radiation treatments I was not able to swallow. My daily regimen included tube feeding fresh vegetable and fruit juices and supplements in a blender and fed through my tube 3 times per day. The juice was made fresh just prior to the time of feeding. Taste does not matter only nutrition. The easiest way for me to

Aug. 2000-diagnosed SCC Tonsil; Stage 4; May 2002-diagnosed Multiple Sclerosis
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Jack/Eric,
You are in my prayers.
Amy

Amy
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Jack & welcome,

I always feel strange welcoming someone to this site, but I can tell you it's a great place to be. I'm not a caregiver, but from the posts on this board we have the absolute best of the best here (except for my husband and he's not on this board. They will be of invaluable help to you as you help your friend.

Please don't miss the FAQ section of this message site. It has a lot of valuable information.

I wish you both the best tomorrow and tell Eric he has a whole group of people that will be thinking of him tomorrow and wishing you both well.

Take crea,
Dinah

OP Offline

Thank you everyone for all the encouragement. I am not looking forward to tomorrow, but it is a real source of strength to know that there are many people here in Bellingham, Seattle and Anacortes that deeply care about the outcome, and now I know that a bunch of concerned and compassionate people from all over the world who participate on this board and have experienced this cancer will have Eric in their thoughts tomorrow. Thank you.

I do have one question. We are in a cancer center called a "multi-disciplinary" center, is there usually one point ot contact for information, reports, etc., or do we need to gather information from all the different Doctors and compile it ourselves? Brian suggested I get the Cancer Patients Workbook to keep notes, I ordered it from Amazon but it is backordered. (Unfortunately too many people need the book). I want to make sure that over the next few days I get the information Eric needs to make his coming decisions.

From reading this board I am expecting that a likely outcome is he will have surgery, and if the 2nd surgery isn't required he will start radiation (hopefully IMRT which they have here) within 3 - 4 weeks. Chemo is still a possibility. I am assuming that when they remove the matasticized lumph node during the neck dissection that they will take other lymph nodes to determine the extent of the cancer.

Anybody know any other questions I should be asking? Any other information that we need to gather so he can make the best decisions regarding radiation and possible chemo?

I am bringing my laptop to Seattle so I hope to post something Tuesday night regarding the outcome of the surgery. Writing is therapeutic for me and having feedback makes it like a living journal.... thanks again for your thoughts, prayers and hopes for a successful surgery tomorrow. Having you here makes this easier and gives me a place to find hope and experience. Thanks.

Jack

Caregiver to Eric
Stage 3 (T2-N1-M0)
5 Years Cancer Free Now
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I was treated at MD Anderson by a multidisciplinary team. Although it became obvious early on that my main treatment would be radiation ( with a dose of chemo added ) and, as it happens, I never needed surgery, my surgeon has always been my primary doctor. I am not exactly sure how that came about, but it has always been that way and I also depend on him to fill out reports to disability insurance carriers, etc.

Although I believe that the multidisciplinary approach is the best way to treat oral cancer, it was at times frustrating when I had problems with swallowing or some other matter and was not sure which doctor to call. These guys are all specialized and , as everyone knows, some of them leave a lot to be desired when it comes to treating the whole person, not to mention short on people skills. It would be nice to feel that you were really under the special care of one particular doctor.

I recommend addressing this problem right up front and asking each of them just who should be the one in charge as treatment progresses and questions and problems arise.

Good luck,
Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.
OP Offline

Hi everyone. The surgery went well today!!! I am posting what happened under the in treatment section since I guess that is where this belongs now.

Jack

Caregiver to Eric
Stage 3 (T2-N1-M0)
5 Years Cancer Free Now

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912