Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#14307 06-27-2003 11:28 AM
fr mike Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

My name is Fr. Mike and I have just recently been given the diagnosis of squamous cell carcinoma and I am trying to get a crash course in what to expect. I have contacted that National Cancer Institute and they have sent me information which is where I found this website.

Almost four weeks ago I visited my dentist and showed him a tumor on the bottom of my tounge. Three weeks ago an oral surgeon did a biopsy. After the tissue taking two weeks to get to the lab I was given the diagnosis just last week. I was originally suppose to meet with the doctor who will be the one in charge of my care yesterday but that appointment had to be rescheduled until Tuesday. The result is that I still have no idea what course of treatment to expect. I don't know what stage the cancer is at. And searching the web has gotten me some very bleak information that I'm hoping isn't accurate.

I've been developing a list of questions to ask the docotr but any suggestions you have would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Fr. Mike

Fr. Mike
SCC on the base of tongue, right side. T2 N1 M0. July 25, 2003 partial (40%) glossectomy, forearm flap reconstruction, right side neck disection.
#14308 06-27-2003 12:25 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Welcome, Fr. Mike. You are in a good place for answers. The MOST important thing you need to know, before anything else, is to ignore the statistics you have found that are so discouraging. Bottom line, you are your own statistic. Your long-term survival depends on your own particular circumstances. The stats encompass non-compliant patients who continue to smoke, patients with pre-existing conditions other than oral cancer, and many other factors which most probably do not apply to you. So take a deep breath and start believing you can win this battle, because you can. The people here are beyond generous in sharing their experiences and answering questions, calming fears which are rational or otherwise (I am referring here to the incredible help I received when I freaked out over the idea of a PEG tube). Having completed my treatment, I am anxious to help anyone else, and I know I am not alone in this feeling. This is not a club anyone chooses to join, but you will find yourself in good company here. We will be with you every step of the way.
Joanna

#14309 06-27-2003 01:59 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hi Fr. Mike,

I was diagnosed with SCC on the bottom of my tongue in March. My treatment so far has consisted of surgery to remove the tumor, a graft where the tumor was, and a modified neck dissection of 22 lymph nodes on the right side. The lymph nodes were clean so no radiation is indicated at this time.

My tongue has healed well, it feels different and is taking some getting used to, but my speech has not been affected. It is difficult to eat some things, mainly hard crunchy stuff like chips. My biggest complaint would be some shoulder pain on the side where my neck dissection was, and that is easily relieved with aleve.

I have not had the extensive treatment some of the folks here have had, but if I can be of any help to you, please let me know.

My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Lisa
SCC of Tongue Stage 1 (T1,N0,M0)
partial glossectomy,modified neck dissection 4/14/03
#14310 06-27-2003 02:03 PM
fr mike Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for such a fast reply Joanna. And thanks for the encouragement. I'm a priest so I know the "Boss" is going to be there with me and I'm a stubborn Sicillian so (although concerned by the statistics)I was trying not to let them get the best of me. As the oral surgeon who did the biopsy told me, the sooner we move on this the better things are for me. I will beat this.

Again, thanks for the kind reply.

Fr. Mike
SCC on the base of tongue, right side. T2 N1 M0. July 25, 2003 partial (40%) glossectomy, forearm flap reconstruction, right side neck disection.
#14311 06-27-2003 02:08 PM
fr mike Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Lisa.

It sounds like I may be in the same situation; atleast where the tumor is. I appreciate you response and now have a better sense of what to expect.

Its amazing how my prayer list just jumped in size with this diagnosis and finding this website. All here are in my prayers as well.

Peace,

Fr. Mike

Fr. Mike
#14312 06-27-2003 07:58 PM

Fr. Mike, I have it on good authority that your Boss helps those who help themselves, so make use of the wonderful compilation of information on this site and you will be a well-informed patient, which puts you in a position of strength, which will undoubtedly please the Boss (grin).
Joanna

#14313 06-29-2003 09:36 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello & welcome,

As Joanna said this is a great club here, and I always thought I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would have me for a member. Sorry, you have to join, but these people will help make your trip easier.

Most of your questions, can be answered either on this site's pages or by someone from this board. It's always hard to help people with what questions to ask, because so many of the questions come as responses to things the doctor says.

The one thing people agree on is: if at all possible take someone with you (besides your BOSS)to your appointments...they can listen and take notes. No matter how smart we are, it is too much and too close and personal for us to really think straight and listen.

Take care and please keep us posted,
Dinah

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users