Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#137 06-27-2002 08:51 AM
kipper Offline OP
OP Offline

I had an operation for mouth and throat Cancer in November I then had 36 days of Radiotherapy. It is the Radoitherapy that has physically and mentally made me ill ! Anyone help ?

#138 06-27-2002 11:33 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Kipper, Welcome new member. I did not have RAD, just surgery. I had a third of my tongue removed, the bottom of my mouth rebuilt and a radical neck dissection. I was lucky as all of the lymph nodes they removed were cancer free. But even that brought me down and still does at times and that was almost two years ago. If you have it, take the time and read all of the posts on this board. Postings here are from patients, surviors and caregivers. Keep your chin up and use this board to gather information and also vent when need be. If you would like to email me direct, please feel free to do so at [email protected].

Take care.

Anne.

Anne G.Younger
Life has never been better.
#139 06-27-2002 06:51 PM

Kipper,
I had chemo, radiaiton and surgery. So I still funky too. My radiation was done in November too. I think I should be getting better by now and find I am still tired. So I guess we just need to be patient and just keep the faith. Love Debbie

Deborah A. Smith
#140 06-28-2002 06:18 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Kipper and Debbie.........Your not feeling well and fatigue are both common health problems and complaints after having endured both chemo and radiation or just radiation. I really didn't begin to feel "normal" for at least a year after I had completed my last radiation treatment; however, at about six months I began eating again and feeling a bit better. I was able to interact with my family for longer periods of time and take short walks. Remember, radiation continues working even after your treatments have been completed. Hang in there, slowly, you will get better. Sincerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!
#141 06-30-2002 10:18 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Kipper,

Welcome to this place of many people and loved ones of people that have been through similar treatments and feelings.

I too just finished radiation at the end of January. And believe me when I say the big things do get a little better everyday. Doesn't seem like it at the time because it may be in such small increments. But, when I reflect on how I was, I know I've come a long way.

Hang in there and stay with this group they are a great mixture of compassion and tough love.

Dinah

#142 06-30-2002 04:57 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I had surgery and finished radiation in June 2001. I was exhausted at least through October and have gradually been getting stamina back. I still don't have the energy I did before this started. Regarding the mental issues, there are some other topics on depression and emotional aspects. I didn't use antidepressents but probably should have and may still need to.
The treatment and after effects are much tougher than I ever imagine. Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. The recovery is very gradual and sometimes seems barely noticeable but things do eventually improve.

ilene
SCC stage 1 1987, 1/4 of tongue removed, neck dissection, SCC stage 3 2000, another 1/4+ removed second neck dissection, radiation.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23