Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#137246 07-25-2011 05:38 AM
wendys Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi all, I am a oc survior, almost 2 years. My husband revieled to me this weekend, that he is really struggling with fear of my cancer coming back. I think it is causing him to put up walls and he is just really having a hard time with this. I don't know how to help him as I have my own fears. I am sure he is terrified of losing me and having to go through this with me again. I know its not easy and as a man cause their just not built in to be a care givers. Will it get easier for him? I occasionally have mini panick attacks about my cancer, I think it is similar to Post tramatic stress disorder, and I now realize he does to. If you have any words of wisdom as care givers, I would appreciate it.

Thanke you

Wendy
46yrs@ DX 9/16/09 T1N0 SCC of leftlat tongue, poorly differentiated.Partial glosectomy 10/01/09 & 10/16/09 & 11/10/09 60-70% tongue removed, Radical fff, 38 nodes-clear, no rads/chemo. 3 petscans-clear

Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Wendy,

Try and tell him that after 2 years without a recurrence your survival percentage is way up there and besides he can't prevent it if it were to occur. Heck you also still have the main weapon at your disposal even if it did come back so that's a good thing. I'm sure there are professionals that can assist him and you to deal with these fears so you might consider that if all else fails.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

I'm sorry hes struggling with it I've been in both positions and it's hard! Just try to reassure him - my RO said - after two years recurrence highly unlikely... Have him talk to you dr. Maybe without you present - that way he can maybe ask brutally honest questions he thinks you might not want to hear the answers to... One he heats it from a professional things may brighten for him. Hugs!,,

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
wendys Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, It so hard to remember the more positive stuff sometimes. When were always waiting for the world to drop out from underneath us.

Wendy
46yrs@ DX 9/16/09 T1N0 SCC of leftlat tongue, poorly differentiated.Partial glosectomy 10/01/09 & 10/16/09 & 11/10/09 60-70% tongue removed, Radical fff, 38 nodes-clear, no rads/chemo. 3 petscans-clear

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

One of the many revelations I've had through this cancer ordeal is that fear and worry are useless emotions as it pertains to the "what ifs". We cannot control a recurrence, it will happen if it happens. We cannot control future events...all we can do is hope for the best of the future and live in the current moment to the fullest.

That is what makes life so sweet and special and exciting really. It is the reason to love deeply, tell those you care about how much they mean to you and appreciate every moment as it may be your last. If we learn anything from having cancer it should be that.

Fear, worry, I have no time for them as I'm to busy living and loving to waste the moments I've been blessed with on anything else.

Keep your chin up

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Wendy,

Congratulations on being a survivor! You are a survivor and your husband is a co-survivor! Enjoy every minute of this huge gift you two have been given. Enjoy the result of all the effort you and your husband have put into you becoming a survivor. smile

I think that building walls is pretty common in trying to avoid pain. But, I think some people realize that it never works, it only takes away precious time that could be spent living fully and loving completely. Fear takes things away--it never gives.

If someone loves, and it causes them to worry, he or she needs to back up to the part where it is love. And then, express the worry framed with love instead of love walled out by fear. I would rather say too much, be too vulnerable than have people not know how much I loved them. I'd rather take a chance at being hurt because I loved than being safe and never knowing a heart and soul-deep connection. Your husband loves you so much he is afraid to lose you--there is that connection. He just needs to surrender to it and not fight it. Fear is causing him to fight it. So many things that come to us in life are difficult. But, I'd rather feed my heart and soul, even if it is difficult at times, than be comfortable but starving. Then again, I rarely take the easy route. smile

There is a poem, "The Invitation" that I recommend reading. It can be found on the internet. The author is known as "Oriah" or "Oriah Mountain Dreamer". Sorry for getting a little new-age-y here. But, I think it cuts to the heart of what we need from people in our life. It is an invitation to share a life together as well as an invitation to be present in living life. It really is a beautiful poem that distills the heart/soul connection on many levels.

You and your husband got through treatment and recovery as a team...you are still a team now that you two are survivors. There will be times when the stress is high--I think everyone here (survivors, patients, and caregivers) understands the pain of follow-up appointments and scans. Don't jump ahead too fast...take things as they come and don't worry unless a doctor tells you there's something to worry about. Hold each other up and keep each other occupied. That way, you'll be investing in each other rather than throwing your energy away on fear.

PTSD can afflict both survivors and co-survivors (caregivers). It is a real issue. You and your husband may want to talk to your doctor about managing it. A good step is making sure you have a fully stocked survivor's mental tool box: a strong positive attitude, accentuating what is good and what works, boundaries for worrying--only allow a few minutes a day and then redirect your thoughts, distractions and hobbies, spending time with people you love, and anything else that brings you joy.

Best wishes to you and your husband!

Ex-spouse MISDIAGNOSED with SCC-HN IVa 12/10. Tonsils out 1/11. 4 teeth out 2/11. TX Erbitux x2, IMRT x2 2/11. 2nd opinion-benign BCC-NOT CANCER 3/11. TX stopped 3/11. New doctors 4/11. ENT agrees with 2nd opinion 5/11. ENT scoped him-all clear 7/11. Ordered MRI anyway. MRI 8/22/11 Result-all clear.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23