Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#136389 07-06-2011 01:01 PM
Caco Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

Might anyone know if/where the OCF folder is for a list of prescribed agents? Beyond Cisplatin I would very much like to know the potential side effects of likely suspects that will be discussed next week at my Dad's planning session in order to be as in front of it as possible. TIA.

Caco
CG to Dad. Biopsy 5/11 non-op, SCC stage IV poorly dif at base of tongue with nodes, quit smoking in '85, ChemoRad began 8/2/11 ended 9/22/11 with NED. Distant mets 11/11, clinical trials. War raging on!
Caco #136535 07-10-2011 01:06 PM
"OCF Canuck, across the pond"

Unsure if such a list exists here. It seems to me the list of potentially prescribed agents (as you put it) is tremendous, and there are very good online resources for potential side effects for all medications now. Unfortunately, for each drug, the list of *potential* side effects is often HUGE and it's impossible to tell what any given person may experience.

While it is very wise of you to try to be prepared and informed in this regard, I will suggest from my own experience that you cannot predict what will happen for a given person, and cannot meaningfully avoid......bad things......?

I, for one, had bad mental reactions to something.......but what was it? Cisplatin? Fentanyl (pain patch, related to morphine)? Any of another multitude of anti-nausea medications? The steroids? The physical beating? Losing 20 lbs over a few weeks? Some combination of all of those, combined with my own mental quirks and personality? I have no idea, really. I experienced what they ultimately called a form of steroid-induced psychosis, or neurosis, in which I had an absolutely terrible "waking dream" in which I died.....but then I didn't.....and then I believed that my mind had died but my body had not taken the hint.

Things went downhill from there for a while.

I *can* say that I survived it (barely), and am doing very well now, one year and a bit from the climax (nadir?) of my treatment for tonsillar SCC. But, a large percentage of the last year royally sucked, to put it gently.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like. I went through my treatment in Vancouver Canada but am now living in London, England, for wholly unrelated reasons.

-Seth

47 yr old male non-smoker, social drinker, fit. Jan'10, Stg3 rt tonsil+rt neck SCC, HPV+, rad+chmo Vancouver Cda. 2yr clear Apr'12 London UK. Apr'13 mets recur to lymph btw left lung & aorta, 3x Cisplatin+5FUchemo+20 rad, was all clear but 6-mo PET-CT shows mets to pleura around left lung, participating in St 1 trial of GDC-0980. GDC lost effect and ended July'14, bad atrial fibrillation requiring hospitalisation, start more standard chemo 10 Sep 2014.
Sadly has passed away, notified Jan 2015.
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

There are not too many that are first line head and neck chemo drugs, so you will not have lots of options. Cisplatin is the big gun and most used. It does have some side effects you have to watch for. I'll let others here tell you about the potential for hearing loss in some patients. You need to let the docs know if you develop ringing in your ears after the first go with it (tinnitus). Paclitaxel (Taxol) is one of the fall back drugs for people that develop this side effect with cisplatin. The other main drug is Carboplatin. All of these drugs are based on the same method of action. There have been some multiple drug cocktails used in various institutions with varying degrees of results. 5FU is often added to the cocktail ideas. Bottom line for me would be to go with the drug that has the longest history of efficacy when used with radiation in H&N, and that would be Cisplatin. But this is a very individual choice between you and your doctors.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

I see that I may have misinterpreted the question. While there are relatively few main anti-cancer drugs, in my experience I was quite overwhelmed by the very large number of different drugs I was offered to help deal with the various side effects of treatment. These were for pain, inflammation, nausea, skin burn etc., and included a gradual increase in potency (and side effects) from T3 through liquid morphine to Fentanyl (patch), the steroids, and anti-nausea medicines.

Each of these has potential side effects, and when you start to combine them, I think it's very difficult to know what's causing what. Some people sail through. Some don't. I sailed through 80% of my treatment, and then went very sideways.

Also, be aware of the potential for late-onset side effects. I didn't have any trouble with the Cisplatin initially (meaning no nerve damage, but the stuff *is* poison, basically) and was "signed off" by my medical Oncologist, but months later had some significant concerns about my hearing and "numb feet", both signs of peripheral neuropathy, or nerve damage likely caused by the Cisplatin, and I was not told this was possible. This has, however, gradually healed and I'm for the most part not concerned now. If it happens with your father, take heart that it will probably resolve in time. Any sign of hearing loss or ringing in the ears needs to be immediately discussed with the medical onclogist before any other doses are given. This will not resolve itself, it is permanent.

Good luck, and stay strong.

47 yr old male non-smoker, social drinker, fit. Jan'10, Stg3 rt tonsil+rt neck SCC, HPV+, rad+chmo Vancouver Cda. 2yr clear Apr'12 London UK. Apr'13 mets recur to lymph btw left lung & aorta, 3x Cisplatin+5FUchemo+20 rad, was all clear but 6-mo PET-CT shows mets to pleura around left lung, participating in St 1 trial of GDC-0980. GDC lost effect and ended July'14, bad atrial fibrillation requiring hospitalisation, start more standard chemo 10 Sep 2014.
Sadly has passed away, notified Jan 2015.
Caco Offline OP
OP Offline

thanks you guys. it'll be either cisplatin or Erbitux and i've been doing the research. pretty down to earth oncologist who we actually can talk with, he's leaning towards cisplatin. my dad tolerated this real well years back for melanoma but they'll be dosing bucketfuls this time around.

another question? i'm reading Erbitux is/isn't picked up by medicare, what's the deal on this, how do you navigate insurance before hand? i want to jump on this before it lands in my mom's lap.

Caco
CG to Dad. Biopsy 5/11 non-op, SCC stage IV poorly dif at base of tongue with nodes, quit smoking in '85, ChemoRad began 8/2/11 ended 9/22/11 with NED. Distant mets 11/11, clinical trials. War raging on!

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics