Next Thread
Print Thread
#134419 05-21-2011 11:25 PM
cs-scc Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi,

We were speaking with someone who suggested that we consult with a ND during and after the radiation/chemo sessions. I was curious if anyone has had experience with ND or other alternative therapies. My radiation/chemo will probably start in about 4 to 5 weeks. Appreciate any input in this regard.

Thanks,
Chetan

Last edited by cs-scc; 05-21-2011 11:25 PM.

Chetan
SCC, lateral tongue, age 53, Tongue resection & neck dissection 5/6/11; T1N2BM0, RTX (35 sessions starting 6/8/11)/chemo (3x starting 6/10/11) Last cisplatin 7/22. RTX complete 7/27. PEG in 6/9/11, out 8/31/11
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

My thoughts are that there is zero scientific support for naturopathy. One good thing about OCF is that proponents of goofball and false treatments rarely show up here since they can't take the truth. Plus OCF only allows discussions of adjunctive treatment and not alternatives to real treatment. Here is a very good article on Naturopathy by Quackwatch which spells it out
Skeptic about ND
Desperate people cling to all types of false hope. I notice that only shlock commercial pseudo medical centers like CTCA that prey on cancer patients offer this even though Medicare will not pay for ND treatment.
So my input is ignore this suggestion, as well as suggestions to go to a Mexican clinic, a CTCA center, or anyplace that has the "secret" cure to cancer.
Stick with radiation and chemo. We all wish this woo woo stuff would work but it does not.
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13

chetan

Okay, I don't like to be negative (although I will when necessary as in dealing with medical fraud) so here is some positive "input".
Since you still have a month before radiation, be sure to get a TSH blood test (thryoid hormone level test) so you know what is "normal" for you. You may not have any thryoid damage but many of us did and it's a struggle to get the doctors to treat it if you cannot show your pre TX TSH level (the lab levels of normal are so broad as to be meaninglesss for individuals)
Second, eat as much good food and protein as you possibly can. Also exercise and build up muscle strength. This TX is very hard and the better shape you are in before it, the better you will come out of it.
Last but not least, get a full dental evaluation from a dentist or prosthodontist who is experienced with cancer patients. Your cancer docs should be able to recommend someone. You need any dental work, especially extractions, done NOW so you can still heal and BEFORE the radiation.
All of these are valid things you can do instead of pissing away time and money on NDs
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Chetan - my feet are firmly seated in the soil of Western medicine - and I found, through my treatment, there was a place for natural medicine in addition to my chemo-radiation. The naturo path was especially helpful in assisting in the treatment of the many side-effects of chemo-radiation. I had a chemo called Erbitux which can have especially harsh side effects on the skin- I thought my poor chin was going to fall off - the naturopath assisted with creams that worked for me when my other docs were at a loss. Also, I give major credit to the naturopath for getting me into stress management, meditation and yoga. I feel like those 3 saved my spirit as the chemo and radiation attempted to ravage it in it's (successful!!) attempt to save my body.
So, for me, natural medicine played a valuable role in my treatment and recovery. As a result of my introduction to a naturopath, I eat better and care for myself better than I did before cancer - which is an invaluable gift going forward in my life after cancer.

Jennifer (39)
02/10 SCCa Tongue & Base, HPV-
03/10 Partial Glossectomy & ND 11/10 Revision due to additional nodes 12/20-2/2/11 IMRT & concommitant chemo 2/11 PEG in 3/11 PEG out
Back at work and feeling good 03/24/11!
12/20/11 - 9 month f/u PET/CT - all clear!

Stress management, yoga and meditation are hardly the stuff of Naturopathy. Instead they are mainstream adjunctive therapies that even my General practitioners recommended to me decades before I had Cancer..
This illogical thinking that because one element is normal, the rest of the alternative medical theories are valid permeates the alternative medicine universe and lately the OCF forum. I've been doing Yoga for over 40 years and certainly agree it's a good thing but it in no way validates the naturopathic fallacy.
there is an interesting chapter in a book I'm reading by a doctor is the director of geriatrics about his patients who are enamored of naturopathic remedies. They are amazed when he "prescribes" nonpharmacologic interventions like meditation and yoga and massage therapy. There is no question that "non-Western" approaches have value but as he says: "show me the data". Yoga for example has randomized controlled trials showing it works for back pain. He says it so much more diplomatically than I
[quote]Some practitioners of alternative therapy contend that, since their inteventions are non Western or non traditional, the ways in which Wester medicine evaluates evidence does not apply to them. This is utter balderdash and usually inended t obsfuscate some other issue - namely the absence of effectiveness of their potions or ointments. I don't cared if we're talking acuupuncture versus nicotine patches to quit smoking or guided imagery versus Norvasc for blood=pressure reduction, any therapy given to human beings shuld be proven safe and effective by the same scientific criteria.
[/quote]
So I do agree that Yoga, meditation and good diet will help you, but that's hardly naturopathy.
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Apaghia /G button

Passed away 4-29-13
cs-scc Offline OP
OP Offline

Charm, Jennifer,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts re. retaining a ND. I wasn't thinking of a ND in lieu of rad/chemo, but just to help manage the side effects. One RO I met with was adamant that I not retain a ND who in addition to consultation "pushes" botanical medicines. His concern was that some of these NDs do not know if the botanical medicines have antioxidants, which apparently is a no-no during radiation.

On a side note, I do some yoga and "pranayam" (breathing exercise). During procedures I find myself focusing on my breathing and trying to forget everything else around me. It does work for me to get through the procedures without too much emotional drain.

Best Regards,
Chetan

Chetan
SCC, lateral tongue, age 53, Tongue resection & neck dissection 5/6/11; T1N2BM0, RTX (35 sessions starting 6/8/11)/chemo (3x starting 6/10/11) Last cisplatin 7/22. RTX complete 7/27. PEG in 6/9/11, out 8/31/11
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

I waited until I was finished to retain an ND - now I must say - I will not be doing the herbal things - just acupuncture - which may or may not help with taste and muscle / throat relaxation. Good luk

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I also have no belief in naturopathy. However, I also believe if it makes you feel good and doesn't interfere with your proven treatment then do it.

Despite being barely able to pay the bills, I went for a facial recently, paid a small fortune for 90 minutes of pampering, knowing full well that it doesn't really make any difference to my skin.

Did I feel beautiful afterwards? Of course! Hair sticking out everywhere, not a scrap of make up on but everyone was looking at me so I must have been gorgeous. Just needed to remember not to look in the shop windows and burst my little bubble.

Chetan, do what makes you feel like you are making a difference, just make sure that what you are doing is doing no harm.

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

I chimed in before - but I'll toss this out - I did go see a naturopath - for acupuncture - he asked for an extensive medical history - I needed acupuncture to loosen up my neck and shoulder from my neck dissection - and was hoping for help for my tongue - taste. Saw him last Tuesday - he really helped my neck (way less stiff!!!!) and I swear - when I got back home and had lunch my taste had improved about 10- 15 % - he also suggested zinc for taste - heat for my neck ( to improve blood flow - and help my Che) very simple stuff - no herbs - he didn't even mention hetbal supplements - talked about diet, mediation, muscle memory etc. I think there maybe some confusion between homeopathy and naturopathy. I think it's the homeopaths that may have a closer link to the snake oil salesmen.

Make sure you see someone who graduated from a certified school of naturopathic medicine - and while in treatment I wouldn't ingest anything suggested without running it by your RO - even the creams should be cleared ( just in case it has some kind of a barrier ) I know my radiation dep. Didn't want me using oil based creams.

So I think a naturopath is okay as long as he/she is informed, well educated, doesn't suggest anything outlandish - and doesn't prescribe a bunch of herbal concoctions. Things like acupuncture, massage, and such aren't bad and do help some people. Though when you feel like crap having someone stick a needle in you is not fun.

My ND's wife is a cancer researcher at my treatment hospital... And he's good friends with several of the RO's from there - so he was quite knowledgeable which helped.

Good luck.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23