Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#131549 03-18-2011 06:12 AM
CMMoore Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

having a very hard time with him forgetting things, it's causing major issues this morning. lucky me, the one thing he does remember and hold on to is the moment yesterday when i lost my temper. the 30 minute apology later... completely forgotten frown

this morning i told him to quit with the pity party and get over it.
going to be a long weekend in springfield with his kids...

C

CMMoore Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I have therapy/counseling set up for myself starting next month, I don't know how to get him to go for himself.
He is feeling like I am out to get him.

Any suggestions are welcome, you can email them to me over the weekend, along with any other comments/advice y'all may have to offer. I welcome it all. Christine-Moore at att dot net.
I will be away from the forum until Monday, but will be able to check emails.
Hope you all have a great Spring weekend!

CG to my husband, Matt. Dx June 2009 Stage IV Oropharengeal SCC right tonsil primary with distant metastases. Rad to neck- Surgeries to lungs- Every avail chemo - ran out of options Jan 2012, called for hospice help Feb 2012, at rest March 19, 2012.
CMMoore Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Specific question I keep asking myself... when is it time for help? When do I call for a p/t aide to come in.
What if this confusion is temporary. What signs are going to tell me such? Am I wrong to not want him operating a car? Is it wrong to think he needs someone to manage his schedule, his meds, his food/water intake? He doesn't tell me what he's done all day.
I feel like it's a disaster waiting to happen. And obviously I am reaching a breaking point. Perhaps I will come out stronger on the other side of it. I pray that is the case.
How the heck do I approach such a thing as assistance for daily living to such an independent indignant man?
He's gonna hate me....

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

You mentioned about spending the weekend with his kids. I don't know how old he is but are his kids "adults", if so maybe they can help you get thru to him... it's worth a try. You might be too close to the situation and he may need to hear it from someone else.
good luck !

DX 12/6/10 of T3 SCC Tongue.
Surgery 1/3/11 was hemigloss & forearm free flap, midline mandibulectomy, Neck Disection-All nodes clear.
Ended rads 5/11/11. Taste buds back to about 80%. PEG removed 4/5/12, experimenting eating real food again. If I can do this, so can you !! Stay Strong.
CMMoore Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Yes, his kids are grown. They are very non-confrontational when it comes to their dad. He gets difficult and they concede or walk away. I feel like that is the MO for his whole family. I remember calling his big sister one day for help, and her big advice was "that's just how men are".... after all those offers of being there if I need anything... that's all I get from her? seriously.
It's a whole new world to people faced with such things...
Like a secret society that recruits randomly and has hellish initiation.

CG to my husband, Matt. Dx June 2009 Stage IV Oropharengeal SCC right tonsil primary with distant metastases. Rad to neck- Surgeries to lungs- Every avail chemo - ran out of options Jan 2012, called for hospice help Feb 2012, at rest March 19, 2012.
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I hear your frustration and feel your pain. I have a simular situation and it is very lonely. I have come to realize as well meaning as many friends and family are - you are alone in the journey as caregiver. For me, it has been a huge adjustment to our married life of nearly 40 years, a viberant, passionate man has changed to someone I do not even recognize. Just a shell of the person he was, with no emotions except anger and apathy to life, aged before my eyes beyond his years. I hold on to the hope that my husband will return but I am scared. I try not to take offense to his words, try to be encouraging and upbeat but it is difficult some days. Sorry I wanted to let you know you are not alone with your frustrations and instead I have dumped my own thoughts. Take care.

CG 2 Emmett,7/09 DX SCC rt tongue. T2N1M0, 1 node, marg neg.4/10 PET/CT clear, 9/10 C back. 10/10 Rad hemi, 2 tmrs mod diff. resec flr of mth. Flap 4 nodes/w/ext cap. 11/10 Peg, CX3 HD, 30 rad. 1/31 & 3/21 6/11/11 - PET/CT "activity" 9/11-all Clear. 12/11 peg out. 2/15 still all clear! 9/14 Prostate cancer treated with pencil beam proton therapy, best radiation experience. Keep it in mind as a treatment option for all tumors that can be seen including head and neck.
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Oh dear
I went through a particularly bad patch like this and it turned out to be morphine psychosis.Horrendous for three days,confusion,aggression,disorientation,peeing in saucepans in the middle of the night,hitting me,cutting his infusion pump.NIGHTMARE!!!!!Resolved quite quickly once diagnosed,pity i couldn't be as easily calmed.There could be all sorts of reasons but you aren't going to find any answers without help,and at this stage of things a trip could be disasterous.

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
CMMoore Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

@ Karen, I totally empathize with the one you love changing into someone unknown/unrecognizable. Your thoughts are valid and welcome. Thank you for sharing. I mourned the man lost to this disease for a very long time. Still do.

@ Liz, oh my word! That would be a nightmare indeed!
Matt is reasonably well behaved at home, but in public all bets are off. I would be horrified if I were to know exactly what transpired at Best Buy the other day.

Woke this morning to blood spatters on the kitchen floor. (not a massacre scene or anything, but it was stepped on and spread)
No visible wounds on any of our cats, no cuts to anyone's feet. I did not inspect his hands as he waved me off as if I were a moron for thinking he could cut himself and not know it. So, I just mopped it up and went to work.
His power drill was on the kitchen counter. No idea what that was out for, and I'd be hard pressed to get him to remember even using it. Will just check him out again tonight.

He is even more adamant about getting out on his own and being independent. I say "see you at noon" and he replies, with a "yeah, maybe, I might be out"...

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

WOW...Watch out for sharp instruments. What the heck did he do with the power drill? I know when Ron does get a cuz he bleeds a lot for a simple cut. But he knows he did it. Wow, take care of yourself and watch him.

CG to Ron
Out of Pain 4/3/13
4/12-lung and under chin growth no treatment
1/13/12 lung biopsy
6/11 recur 6/30 resection #2 Clear margins
Clear 12/10
Surg 5/13/10 neck dis/nodes part gloss/flap R thigh all teeth out
RAD 30 8/10
DX 4/2/10 "Oral Cavity" T3NOMO
12/28/07 Non Hodg Lymph remission 7/08
passed away 4.3.15, RIP Ron, you are greatly missed
SUEZ #131735 03-21-2011 11:32 AM
CMMoore Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Todays outing was to our local Sam's Club. Thank you Lord, he did not get kicked out. He did however have severe rage that brought him to his knees in an effort to control it.
I've secured him an appointment with psych. on Wednesday.
Will be redoing his mp3s tonight to remove anything not upbeat and loving.

Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

You poor thing....the stress you must be under right now! I'm so glad you have an appointment with the psych doc on Wednesday. Something is definitely wrong. Good luck and keep us updated.

Shelley

Caregiver to husband Ron. Throat Cancer. Finished 35 radiation treatments on 11/21/04. 8/2/11 small lesion on lower gum, laser Procedure to remove. 3/6/12 Doc. removed another lesion on outside of his neck. Did a skin graft from his chest to replace the skin on his neck. Went to Heaven on 6/24/12.
CMMoore Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Shelley - I am due for a nervous breakdown, just haven't had the time to schedule it yet =)

Will definitely keep u posted, it's the only thing that keeps me sane.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics