Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

You put a rabbit in a hat, cover it with a handkerchief, and wave your hands over it saying some magical words..... you the remove the handkerchief, and pouf! The rabbit has disappeared!!

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Gold Member (200+ posts)

oh dear...not nice...I wouldn't have dreamt of considering myself a rabbit!!

Jeanna
Wife/Carer of Rod, 56, Dx 5/3/09, SCC Oropharnyx T4 N2, End Tx 28th 07/09, 7wks Rad, 3 Cisplatin, primary tonsil, 4cm Lymph right of neck, 1cm left, in jaw & soft palate & base of tongue. Peg 06/09. CT & PET scans 02/11 - NED. Dentures 20/09/11, PEG out 28/10/11.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

@ Jeanna: Poufing is disappearing on a significant other who is stricken with a serious illness. It comes from the sound "Pouf" as in what happens when a magician makes something disappear. It happens when a spouse, fiance or girlfriend/boyfriend can't handle sticking around to see someone through their treatment or isn't able to handle the "new normal" that is their loved one's new existence. These people might go "pouf"... never to be seen again. Very sad. You are the polar opposite of a poufer. smile

Ex-spouse MISDIAGNOSED with SCC-HN IVa 12/10. Tonsils out 1/11. 4 teeth out 2/11. TX Erbitux x2, IMRT x2 2/11. 2nd opinion-benign BCC-NOT CANCER 3/11. TX stopped 3/11. New doctors 4/11. ENT agrees with 2nd opinion 5/11. ENT scoped him-all clear 7/11. Ordered MRI anyway. MRI 8/22/11 Result-all clear.
OP Offline

I like Brian's rabbit analogy. I have bunnies as pets. I love my little furbabies! Uh oh...I hope there aren't any bunny boilers lurking in the shadows! hee hee wink

Ex-spouse MISDIAGNOSED with SCC-HN IVa 12/10. Tonsils out 1/11. 4 teeth out 2/11. TX Erbitux x2, IMRT x2 2/11. 2nd opinion-benign BCC-NOT CANCER 3/11. TX stopped 3/11. New doctors 4/11. ENT agrees with 2nd opinion 5/11. ENT scoped him-all clear 7/11. Ordered MRI anyway. MRI 8/22/11 Result-all clear.
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Sandy, I love animals too - they are just so delicious!! JUST KIDDING. When Barkley died last month after being my 24/7 companion and best friend for 12 years, I was crushed. The deal that non dog people don't get, is that dogs give you completely unconditional love. You can't get that from most human beings. I don't trust people that don't have a thing for animals.

I have a friend who taught me to fly small planes in the mountains and Idaho backcountry. He takes people out fly fishing in his plane and lands right on the river sand bars (see my blog if you don't get what a deal this is). He has a flea bitten, Heinz 57 varieties, best friend that rides in the tail cone of the plane when he's out in the backcountry, and that dog has been around since I can remember. One day I asked him if he'd ever been married, and he answered through about a weeks worth of stubble on his face, that he had indeed tried it a couple of times, but he much preferred the company of his dog. He said there is a simple test to determine if you want to spend your life with a woman or a dog, and it goes like this.

You take your wife and your dog, and you lock them both in the trunk of your car for about an hour. Then when you come back and open up the trunk see which one is glad to see you.....

Sorry ladies.... it doesn't' of course reflect my opinions, since I've made a marriage stick now for 25 years. Of course it took some practice... there was number 1, and number two and......

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

That wife and dog test is so-o-o-o funny! it's true, though, about the unconditional love - and dogs have done some wonderful and heroic things for people. I have noticed that anyone who has pets is usually a very nice, caring person. I had a very nice, very caring male friend when I lived in Canada who had a goat. My two boys would go visit that goat and pet him almost every day. One day, when I went to visit my friend, the goat was nowhere in sight and as I walked in the front door, I asked where the goat was whereupon he led me to his refrigerator, opened the freezer door and pointed to the neatly stacked packages of frozen meat. I guess it depends on your perspective how you feel about certain animals, but I had a tough time that day explaining the goat's disappearance to my boys.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Brian...I liked your advice and tried to put Aly in the trunk of my Buick. I am now recovering from the severe beating I recieved. I think it may have been different if I actually got her into the trunk though and when I'm out of this body cast I'll give it another shot.

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
OP Offline

I love how this topic has taken on a life of it's own! @ Brian: Hilarious story! @ Anne-Marie: awwww.....and then....eeeewwww!

I completely understand about losing Barkley. It's something you never completely get over. It took me 4 years before I would have another dog after our dog, Hannah, died. She was my first baby and was with us through all those family-growing years. When we brought our dog, Wyatt, home as a puppy, I started crying when we pulled into the driveway. He was sitting on my lap and was just such a sweet little guy. It made me remember the last time we had our Hannah at home. You are right, it's that unconditional love that you don't get from anyone else but a dog. Wyatt made me realize how much I missed it. I'm sorry for your loss.

Now, as for goats...yikes! I hope Paul knows the real story about the goat. If not, I hope he doesn't read Anne-Marie's post!

OP Offline

@Brian: Loved the pictures on FB! Barkley--Apricot Standard Poodle, right? What a sweet face!

You are still green! Are you still nauseated from last week's forum escapades? haha...:)

Brian, I am so sorry to hear about Barkley!

I would have never made it through Tx without Edwin and Max Jr., my 2 Bichons Frises (well I guess my wife helped a little too). Max Jr. died last year, of OC, of all things. I got a Maltese (Chase) last year before Max died and that helped the transistion a lot but I still miss Max very much.

I love my dogs - they're better than children. I have pictures of them on my Facebook page.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics