Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Marlene41 #118538 06-25-2010 05:55 PM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Thanks for so much info on social seciruity, Elizabeth. Im sure this will be helpful to other OC patients who are struggling to get back to work.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Marlene41 #118630 06-28-2010 06:07 AM
Senior Member (100+ posts)

My mom had to fill out paper work online, it took about 4 hours, for SS benefits. They called her TWO days later and told her she was approved. This happened back in March I think, and she will start receiving the check next month (July) - and she will receive back pay for every month since she was approved.

my mom, age 59.

12/08 surgery & 33x rad
4/09 recurrence
5/09 surgery & 35x rad
12/09 recurrence
1/10 surgery. peg tube, trach, fibula free flap
6/10 recurrence. double chemo treatments.
8/10/10 finally at peace in heaven
Marlene41 #118996 07-04-2010 08:12 AM

My mom shoudl start receiving her check July 28th...any idea when they start paying you the backpay from the date she was approved? is this something i should call about to 'remind' them or should she just start seeing it?

my mom, age 59.

12/08 surgery & 33x rad
4/09 recurrence
5/09 surgery & 35x rad
12/09 recurrence
1/10 surgery. peg tube, trach, fibula free flap
6/10 recurrence. double chemo treatments.
8/10/10 finally at peace in heaven
EmilyE #119020 07-05-2010 07:30 AM

If I may, I would like to add my two cents. I applied for and received SSDI due to my heart condition and when Carol was diagnosed with OC in Dec I helped her apply for SSDI. Yeah, 2009 wasn't a very good year. Work hard, play harder finally caught up to us!

As of Nov 2009 the Social Security Administration added a new Disability Listing "Section 13.00 Malignant Neoplastic Diseases" that OC survivors fall under and should be looked at. SSA calls this the "blue book" which translated is their "bible" for determining disability. They say its meant for professionals but is available through the SSA website. Here's the copy and paste link:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/

Click on the link in the left column "Adult Listings Part A" which will take you to the Disability Listings Section. Then click on Section 13.

There is a lot of "paperwork" involved in getting SSDI. Medical history, names of Drs, hospitals; work history, dates, employers, job duties, lifting, bending, sitting, squatting, how long, how far, etc. If you don't remember exact dates or other information, they would still like you to guess. There are other sections to add any additional information. They WILL get your medical and work history from other sources. If more info is needed they will send you letters. Once they have determined you are disabled, depending on your situation, they will call you informing you have been approved and if you want to apply for SSI. If you are eligible for SSI they will do the phone interview right then.

SSDI - Social Security Disability Insurance is based on your work history. I believe the minimum requirement is 8 years (does not have to be consecutive). You do have to be considered disabled for 5 months. Your disability benefit begins the 6th month. You will receive an Award letter from Social Security Administration stating when your benefit begins, monthly benefit, any back pay and where they'll send your benefit. It will also tell you when they will review your disability. I MOST strongly encourage direct deposit. If received by snail mail you'll receive it on the date of your benefit, if not a day later. Going direct deposit will have it in your favorite financial institution up to 24 hours in advance. This Award letter is VERY important. Keep it in a safe place. Treat it like the deed to your house, title to your vehicle, your birth certificate. If needed, this is the ONLY proof acceptable for receiving SSDI. Does apply to SSI also. A copy is acceptable but it has to be the complete Award letter. After 2 years on SSDI you are eligible for Medicare.

SSI - Social Security Income is for disabled persons with limited or no income. They have set rates for receiving SSI. One rate for single and one rate for couple. SSI benefits start the first month after the disability month. (You were determined to be disabled in Dec, your benefit would start in Jan.). When approved for SSI you are automatically approved for Medicaid.

You can apply for SSDI on the internet or make an appointment. Applying for SSI has to be done at the Social Security office, no internet application available. I don't know why.

When I applied for SSDI and helped Carol with hers, I did the internet application along with the Adult Disability work sheet, printed out the entire application and took it to the Social Security Office. Doing that helped get the ball rolling. Of course the SSA is 10 minutes from my house. Others not that lucky to have SSA nearby could mail it, I'm sure.

In my experience Social Security Administration is more timely in processing the applications, etc., compared to Florida Medicaid which is handled by the Department of Children and Family Services. Their handling of medicaid applications, etc is a nightmare. They can and do screw up, causing problems with getting a person's much needed health care. But that is a totally different subject. I'll just leave it like that.

One side note regarding SSDI. You can check your benefits on their website but you have to request a PIN number and once you receive your PIN number you go to the website, select your password and off you go. You can request your PIN number over the internet or by phone. They'll send your PIN number via snail mail, anywhere from 8 to 10 days. Here's the copy and paste link:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pgm/receiving.htm

Click on the "Get a Password" link from the "What you can do Online" section and then you're on your way.

This is a very long post, but I want to pass along as much info as I can from doing the research to actually going through the process. No, I have never worked for SSA or any other government body. The closest thing was being in the military and that is an entity all its own!

Linda

CG/Carol 57;SCC Stage IV L Tonsil T4N2bM0 12/2009
Recur 7/2010 - 2cm mass Invasive SCC L Floor Lower Jaw
Surgery 8/10 - Trach,ND,p. mandibulectomy,pec flap
ypT4aN0 HG Mucoepidermoid carcinoma
2nd Recur 1/18/11 - Tumor lower left lip
Surgery 2/9/11 - Canceled - Inoperable
3/29/11 - Died

Marlene41 #127298 01-05-2011 07:24 AM

SSDI is a great program. Besides the nine month "trial back to work" program in which you can earn your full benefit, which no deductions or penalties and make a full time paycheck. After 2 years you are eligible for Medicare whether you are old enough or not. You can be on SSDI and work part time as well as long as your hours and income don't exceed their guidelines. They also offer job retraining programs, especially if your disability prevents you from returning to your original employment. As you found out, it is also retroactive to the date of disability. There is a 5 month waiting period and the check is issued on the 6th month.

If you are self employed, your income eligibility is based on the adjusted gross after business expenses.

People think it is hard to get on SSDI but typically, it's because they aren't meticulous with the paperwork requirements. I submitted my entire medical file, including scan reports, etc. My agreement with my doctors was to have a copy of every report, lab test, even CD's and DVD's of the scans. I appeared, in person, at my local SSI office and applied directly. The medical file had to be cleared by a panel of State doctors and 2 weeks later I was approved.

Congratulations!

Last edited by Gary; 01-05-2011 07:32 AM.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
Gary #127306 01-05-2011 09:27 AM

The 'trial back to work' has a 9 month window. This can be taken a month at a time or however you want. It resets after 5 years. So you get another set of 9 months to try to work.

If you earn over $720 a month that would count as one of your 9 months. SSD considers when you earn the money not counts your paychecks. This can be tricky. Say you started a new job and worked for a month earning $200 a week but you only got 3 checks that month. It seems like SSD should count this as making $600 but they dont, they count it as $800 cuz of when you EARNED it. A little crazy, but that would count as one of your months.

I filled out my paperwork and got a check 3 weeks later. If you are careful with filling out the paperwork then its not hard to get approved. I wasnt as thorough as Gary, but I sent a letter from my doc. It explained my history of having SCC 3 times and what my limitations were. That was all they needed to ok my application. I think they contacted my doc for more confirmation.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma