Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
knine Offline OP
OP Offline

hello thank you for thinking about me! yea i guess its given me some relief going to the oral surgeon today this is the 4th doctor/dentist who looked at it im sure the right side of my jaw that has bumps is mandibular tori but its my right side im concerned about its basically a hidden bump its under my mandibular bone in between the bone and the lining of the floor of my mouth i was wondering what were other symptoms you guys had? i have read up on symptoms but would rather hear it from people who have been through it then on google thanks again everyone for your help and encouragement i probly wouldnt of even went to an oral surgeon if it wasnt for you guys

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

It just goes to show how valuable this site can be to some of us.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
knine Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello everyone sorry for the late reply I havent logged on in a while i just wanted to thank all of you for your help and support...I still have that bump there for some reason when I run my tongue across it..it doesnt feel like the mandibular tori bumps I have on my right side this one is different on the left side it feels like its gotten bigger now and this last week I have lost my appetite any ideas or advice anyone? im getting hopeless...

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

knine,

I'm going to get very blunt with you as is my way...but know this is for you're own good and it's done out of love. smile

First...stop f@ck'n smoking. If you didn't know, it causes cancer.

Second, how many Dr's are going to have to tell you the same thing before you stop beating around the bush and get a biopsy from the site that concerns you? It's the only way to get the definitive answer you obviously need so stop stressing about it and take the bull by the horns already. Anybody on this site will tell you that I'm no fan of most Dr's...but they aren't all f*ck'n worthless and at least one of the four you've seen so far may not have their head up their ass.

I think I speak for many on this site when I say you have no idea what "hopeless" is so let me define it for you. Hopeless is sitting in front of your Ear Nose & Throat Dr who tells you that a biopsy confirms you have cancer, it's inoperable and there are no other options available to you to extend your life. Since you haven't had that experience, you still have hope.

Since you are in Seattle, I will even steer you in the right direction. Call the University Of Washington Medical Center (#6 in the US for Cancer Care and #12 in Head & Neck) and ask for the Otolaryngology dept. Schedule an appt and tell them to biopsy the area you are concerned about. Dr. Neil Futran is the head of that program and literally one of the finest surgeons in the country, if he can't calm your fears I'd suggest seeking a different type of Dr for your head...

Sorry to be so blunt, but panicking and becoming "hopeless" isn't going to help you or get you any answers.

Your welcome by the way.

Eric

Last edited by EricS; 12-24-2010 01:10 AM. Reason: spelling, I'm tired

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.

Seconding Eric.
D2

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

You said it, Eric!

Female, nonsmoker, 70, diag. 5/09 after tongue biopsy: stage IV. Left hemi-gloss. and left selec. neck disec. 30 lymph nodes removed May 20. Over 7 weeks daily rads. with three chemo. PEG removed 12/4/09 Am eating mostly soft foods. Back to work 11/09 Retired 4/1/11. 7 clear scans! Port out 9/11. 2/13. It's back: base of tongue, very invasive
surgery involving lifestyle changes. 2/14: Now speaking w/Passey-Muir valve. Considering a swallow study. Grateful to be alive.
knine Offline OP
OP Offline

wow! Eric no love lost.. I needed that..your rite and I apologize about coming on here crying about my little worries when you guys have real problems..I have asked for a biopsy and the oral surgeon stated "theres no need for biopsy"...I should of refused to leave and stood my ground..so can I get a direct apt through there or do I need to get a refferal etc like I did for the oral surgeon...this bump in my mouth has been there for about 3 years now does that sound typical for oral cancer?

knine Offline OP
OP Offline

oh yea forgot to add im 6 days smoke free cold turkey

knine Offline OP
OP Offline

what i meant was doesnt the cancer usually advance quite a bit within 3 years without treatment?

knine - What Eric said, DO IT! And congratulations on being 6 days smoke free cold turkey! Do avail yourself of any other smoking cessation programs or helps because they are there. Re the referral, when you call for the appointment, they will tell you if you need a referral.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users