Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Welcome. Do not try to recover too quickly. Yes, an all liquid diet is difficult, but you will get there. You will heal and be able to eat again, it just takes some time.

Angelia
31 at Dx.
DX: 4/30/09, 10/21/09 SCC on floor of mouth,
T1NOMO, T2N1M0
TX: 39 IMRT, 8 cisplatin 11/30/09
PET/CT: 11/03/09: Lymph node involvement
PEG/PORT: 11/09
TX end: 02/01/10
PET Scan: 04/05/10 clear
PEG Out: 06/21/10
Biopsy: 12/23/10: fibrosis
HBO: 01/04/11 - ORN
Baby girl born 11-30-12
Rahel Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi Jerry & Angelia,

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement. Finding this website last week was a great help and emotional support, definitely has helped with my healing to know I'm not alone.

I've had a strange turn of events, and am looking for guidance, in this thread:
http://oralcancersupport.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=125144

Someone over there said the "brians and jerrys" would have more info. Jerry, is that perhaps you? :^) Since you suggested it, I'll email you as well.

Appreciatively,

Rahel

Leukoplakia 3/07, 34y.o. non-smoker/drinker
Biopsy 3/08: clear (no monitoring suggested - grr)
Biopsy 10/18/10: SCC, Stage 2 1.
Surgery 11/15/10: glossectomy R side oral tongue & partial neck dissection. Margins, nodes & salivary gland clear!
Subsequent MRIs/CTs/PETs: All clear!
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

[quote=minniemoo066]Rahel,

A really good food to eat is pureed porridge. I cook oats with full cream milk for half hour so it's nice, soft and creamy. Put in blender with a banana, add mire milk and blend it. You can get the consistency that is comfortable for by adjusting the amount of milk. I had this for dinner every night for nearly 3 months. It's filling and nutritious as well. Hang in there, it will get better.

Minh [/quote]

I second this - I've been having a lot of porridge since the surgery- I add honey to it too.

Monica,33 Mum of 3. Former smoker
SCC right lateral tongue. Intially thought to be cell dysplasia and dx as SCC after surgical excision.
Nov 2010- partial glossectomy (1cm in width), partial neck dissection. Margins clear, nothing found in nodes- YAY! Benign tumor on saliva gland.
"OCF Down Under"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Use traditional wholegrain oats not the quick oats that's everywhere these days.

Minh

35 Yrs old
03/10 SCC T1-T2
Partial Glossectemy end March - margins not clear enough.
While waiting for resection - cancer returned,2 new cancerous lumps
Re-section End May & flap from cheek attatched. Margins clear.
Mid June - 4 teeth out
Mid July -32 Rads and 3 Cisplatin
6th Sept 10 Finished Treatment!!

My grandpa recently had a similar-ish, but more extensive surgery (floor mouth resection, some jaw bone scraping, not sure how much came off the tongue). He was on a feeding tube for 3 weeks, and has been having soft foods for almost 2 weeks now. He's been having a lot of trouble too, since he's still got a lot of mouth swelling. We've been making him a lot of things like pastina (very small noodles...similar consistency to fine ground grits), and crockpot chicken noodle soup with "stars" (we use the canned chicken breast...it shreds up very easily).

I'm not sure if these are too solid for you, but they might be helpful when you heal up a little more!

Granddaughter to Duane, 64, survivor of esophageal cancer
Diagnosed with oral cancer of floor mouth 08/10, partial surgical removal 09/10, full resection with clean margins and reconstruction 11/1/10
Now healing and waiting for info on further treatment
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Apple Pie a La Mode....smoothie!!!

1cup of apple pie filling, store-bought ( I think mine was E.D.Smith and made a couple of recipes, about 4 smoothies )

1cup of vanilla ice-cream

1/2 cup of milk

Dash of cinnamon

how you do it:

- Put all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth! makes 2 - 10 ounce servings..enjoy yourself!!

307 cal per serving, total fat 9 g

Light and blessings,

Nancy

55 yrs, Female, smoked for 4 yrs 35 yrs. ago, SCC right underside tongue and floor of mouth, laser surgery took 1/3 tongue Aug 2010, 3 weeks later in Sept right neck dissection 40 nodes removed with 1microscopic spot in one node. No chemo or radiation.
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

I wanted to give you a site to check out that has the recipe book where that recipe came from,,,a kajillion new recipes for smoothies and soft foods! www.spohnc.org

It is the Support for People with Head and Neck Cancers site and I bought the easy to read cookbook this summer before my surgeries, I can't remember the cost exactly but it was around 17.50 plus 3.00 for postage, in that ballpark. I know they mailed it to Canada the same day they got my email and I had it within the week.

let me know if I can help you further.

ciao,

Nancy

55 yrs, Female, smoked for 4 yrs 35 yrs. ago, SCC right underside tongue and floor of mouth, laser surgery took 1/3 tongue Aug 2010, 3 weeks later in Sept right neck dissection 40 nodes removed with 1microscopic spot in one node. No chemo or radiation.

Thanks for the website Nancy! I'm going to check it out and see if I can add some variety to my grandpa's diet!

Granddaughter to Duane, 64, survivor of esophageal cancer
Diagnosed with oral cancer of floor mouth 08/10, partial surgical removal 09/10, full resection with clean margins and reconstruction 11/1/10
Now healing and waiting for info on further treatment
Rahel Offline OP
OP Offline

Here's a rice porridge recipe adapted from a cookbook called Vegetarian Rice Cuisine, which was more to my liking than the oatmeal porridge:

+ 2 cups cooked rice (I used white rice, but recipe calls for brown, so I'm trying that next)
+ 1.5 cups lowfat milk or rice milk (I used combo rice milk & coconut milk)
+ 1/4 cup maple syrup (recipe called for 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp, but it was plenty sweet to my taste with just 1/4 cup)
+ 1/4 teasp ground cinnamon or nutmeg (I used both)

Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and cook for 8-12 minutes on low heat, stirring frequently. I also processed with an immersion blender, my new best friend! It was a little thick, but very tasty.

Enjoy!

Rahel

Leukoplakia 3/07, 34y.o. non-smoker/drinker
Biopsy 3/08: clear (no monitoring suggested - grr)
Biopsy 10/18/10: SCC, Stage 2 1.
Surgery 11/15/10: glossectomy R side oral tongue & partial neck dissection. Margins, nodes & salivary gland clear!
Subsequent MRIs/CTs/PETs: All clear!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users