Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Charm - I'm glad you are giving the cancer books another shot and that other books are being suggested. Anything that can help us with attitude when fighting cancer or with any other stressful situations is certainly worthwhile. I found the two Eckhart Tolle books easier for me to enjoy after seeing an Oprah broadcast/skype interview with Eckhart T. where they discussed his books and he explained some of the things he said. Two quotes I remember most are: "What you resist, persists" and "Accept with joy and enthusiasm". I have a little trouble with the "joy and enthusiasm" part but I can "accept" even though I may not agree with what happened. Getting unstuck from the resistance mode makes it easier to get control of a situation. The "Now" is so important, it's worth a little effort to try to find ways to make it peaceful and happy for ourselves. A book I really found powerful is Jill Bolte Taylor's book "My Stroke of Insight" in which she discusses the right and left brain and how to get some control over those brain cells that affect our attitudes.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Charm,
I bought the chicken soup book second hand, so Mr. Canfield received no royalities. However, this bit from Norman Cousins had us rolling. As Robert Lipsyte said, tumor humor isn't always tasty sick
[quote]When I was in the hospital my nurse really irritated me, so I decided to play a little joke on her.

One day, she brought in a specimen cup and requested a urine sample. After she left, I poured my apple juice into the cup. When she returned for the specimen, she observed it and noted, �My, we�re a little cloudy today, aren�t we?�

I asked to see it, removed the lid and said, �Yep, better run it through again,� and drank it. The look of shock on her face was priceless.
[/quote]

Susan, CG to husband, diagnosed April 2010, age 56, non-smoker, no HPV
Mandibulectomy on left side May 2010 followed by 30 radiation, 3 cisplatin treatments.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Another book on cancer I have read, is "When God and Cancer Meet" I bight this book deparate for help. This was the most amazing book I could hav eever read. Gave me hope and made realize that we are not alone in this cancer battle.

Angelia
31 at Dx.
DX: 4/30/09, 10/21/09 SCC on floor of mouth,
T1NOMO, T2N1M0
TX: 39 IMRT, 8 cisplatin 11/30/09
PET/CT: 11/03/09: Lymph node involvement
PEG/PORT: 11/09
TX end: 02/01/10
PET Scan: 04/05/10 clear
PEG Out: 06/21/10
Biopsy: 12/23/10: fibrosis
HBO: 01/04/11 - ORN
Baby girl born 11-30-12
OP Offline

Susan

Thanks for posting that. I was a little grumpy when I dismissed the entire CSCSS (worried about my 90 day checkup which went well afterall). But that's why I encourage other OCF posters to share in this thread. In rereading it, I even loved the "punny" title of the article. For the rest of OCF, Heres that first paragraph that leads into the funny story you shared
[quote]The "Wee" nurse "when I was in the hospital, I had a a "We" nurse. She began each sentence with "how are we today?" "We need to have a bath" this really irritated me,so I decided to play a little joke on her...(segue to Susan's post)[/quote]
thanks again for having me reconsider this book. Actually the other Norman Cousin's story about the telephone operator and the coin phone is funny also.
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13

A very small and insightful book by a Zen monk that I found so encouraging is "True Love" by Thich Nhat Hanh (pronounced "tick not hon"). It's not about cancer, but can be so useful to caregivers when the loved ones they are caring for are in emotional pain. Some of the chapters describe "being there when someone is suffering", "deep listening", "restoring peace within yourself". It's a very quick read book and one that allows picking a chapter here and there without having to read every short chapter in specific order.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

"OCF Down Under"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Senior Member (100+ posts)

I'm getting all these books!! Since i'm not sleeping much these days, would love to know any other books people have read and would recommend. Got "Man's Search for Meaning" already from Erics rave review on it.

Minh

35 Yrs old
03/10 SCC T1-T2
Partial Glossectemy end March - margins not clear enough.
While waiting for resection - cancer returned,2 new cancerous lumps
Re-section End May & flap from cheek attatched. Margins clear.
Mid June - 4 teeth out
Mid July -32 Rads and 3 Cisplatin
6th Sept 10 Finished Treatment!!

I just got "Man's Search for Meaning" by Frankl. It was free on my Wattpad app on my iPhone. The app is also free. How about that? I just can't tell if I have the whole book or not. I am on page 17 or 62 (electronic version) and it says "Part 1 of 1". So, is this the whole book? Is there a Part 2?

Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie,

It's not a very long book but it is broken up into two "sections". The first part of the book is Viktor sharing his experience in the Nazi death camps, the second is his insights etc...

Thanks for the info about Wattpad, need to DL that for my iPod touch...or hopefully my iPad (come on Santa don't let me down big guy!!!).

Hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did.

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.

Eric - thanks for info on Frankl's book. I am finding it to be a "keeper" with many sections that can relate or be helpful to the cancer experience. In looking over more carefully the selections I have from Wattpad, they are not the complete versions but give a good reason to purchase the complete version. Amazon Kindle gives "samples" also and the complete versions are very inexpensive ($5.22 for Frankl's book). When SC brings you your iPod or iPad, also check out these apps: Kindle Amazon, Stanza, Books on Board, eReader and Bookshelf.

Anne-Marie

Lance Armstrong - It's Not About the Bike, My Journey Back To Life'

"I didn't have cancer anymore, but I didn't not have it, either."

That quote caught my eye.

You know, this is a fairly 'famous' cancer book, and Lance's story/comeback to athletic prominence is great, but the first thing I noticed while reading the book is he was actually between contracts when he was diagnosed. He had no insurance. Strings were pulled because of who he is, and poof, he had insurance. Then, to top that, he speaks often in the book about his wealth, and the elitism of high profile athletes like himself.

I'm pretty sure he and I had completely different cancer experiences...

Survivor. 55yr male. Dx 07/09 SqCCa Stage IV, Rt Tonsil, Lt&Rt Lymph Nodes. Aborted tonsilectomy 07/09. Chemo port 07/09. PEG 09/09. Chemo - 3xCisplatin 6xErbitux. RTx35. Tx ended 11/09. CAT scan (clean) 01/10. PET scan (clean) 02/10. Port & PEG removed 04/10.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics