Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#124535 11-12-2010 08:56 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

If you have a lump on the side of your tongue that has been there for over a year but is soft could it be cancer?
The ENT did not do a biopsy because the lump was not firm.
Thank You
Brenda

Last edited by Brenda Marks; 11-12-2010 02:00 PM.
Brenda Marks #124548 11-12-2010 02:06 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Brenda...the lump on my tongue wasn't hard. I was put on steriods too in the beginning, by my so called Dentist. I'm now on Nexium for acid reflux because I had the feeling something was in my throat and I thought it was a tumor. I had a CT/Pet Scan no tumor in my throat it was acid reflux. I also lost 20 pounds plus pounds when I was going through this asking for help from 5 doctors.

If it was me and know what I know today I would make an appointment to see an Oral Surgeon asap. Shame on the ENT you went to, when I hear thing like this it P.O.'s me right to know end. Seems a few Dr.'s take this with a grain of salt, they should be ashamed of themselves. Nothing to have a biopsy what's up with them that's what I'd like to know. If it's their valuable time it took longer for my tongue to get numb (while he saw other patients) than to take the biopsy.

Make phone calls and get moving on this it's nothing to mess with and also for peace of mind.

Keep us posted...take care...

SCC. of the left lateral tongue, anterior two thirds, T1 possibly a T2.
Left partial glossectomy, left selective neck dissection 4/21/09. Nodes clean, No Rad, No Chemo.

CT Scan 9/11 clean, CT Scan 9/12 clean

Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL. A+.

My hometown Lockport, NY.

ConnieFL #124553 11-12-2010 07:15 PM
OP Offline

Thanks Connie for your great advice. I read your story and thank goodness you didn't let it go. You have been through a lot and still you are generous with your time on this board.

I hope it is ok to do this but I went in the bathroom a little while ago and took photos of my mouth and posted them on Flicker. Photos are worth a thousand words.
The small soft lump close to the tip of my tongue has been there for over a year. Now I have developed an area towards the back of m tongue with a lot of small bumps and it is discolored. My tonsils have white spots and some very red areas.
I don't understand how the ENT said this could be normal. I did have some tongue swelling for a few days.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12572982@N07/?saved=1
If it is not ok to share the photos please let me know and I will remove the link.
Thanks again
Brenda

Brenda Marks #124555 11-12-2010 08:44 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi Brenda,
All of my tongue cancers were firm and painful. A biopsy is easy. I would recommend a conversation with your ENT or at least a second opinion from another doc. Best of luck to you. Please let us know what you find.
mark

11/1999 SCC tongue - surgery
1/2000 Met(s) in lymph nodes - modRND
2/2000-4/2000 RT ~6 weeks
end of 2006 SCC tongue - surgery
1/2008 SCC BOT - surgery / PEG installed
2/2008 chemo & RT
4/2008 last time I consumed solid food by mouth
airkitty #124557 11-12-2010 09:57 PM
OP Offline

Hello Mark
Thanks for your reply.
Today I decided to try and find a great doctor. I looked up Duke University and ENT's that graduated from Duke within driving distance. I found a doctor that I was so excited about, 100 miles away.
When I called for an appointment I was told he recently retired. The doctor I was referred to in my area also just retired as my own primary doctor retired three years ago that I loved and trusted.
So if anyone knows of a good doctor within a hundred miles os Asheville, NC.
I do have the HPV virus for ten years but have never had an oral outbreak. The lump has been there over a year and has not grown and no pain but the other symptoms have progressed for several weeks.
I took photos this evening and I used Flicker with a different name and only photos of the mouth so hope it is ok to post.
I know no one can dx anything but just wonder if this looks like anything anyone else has had.
MY symptoms are difficulty swallowing, hoarse at times, tongue swelling, red tonsils and the Oesaphagus .....according to ent, inner ear pain, jaw pain, weight loss,sinus/nose pain .
It feels like I have strep throat, mumps and toothache all at once. I'm pretty miserable.
I know none of this is anything compared to what some are going through and I apologize for making such a fuss over this.Usually I find the strength to deal with tough things once I know what it is I'm facing it's just the unknown that scares me so much.
Well here are the photos and the ent said everything looked normal.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12572982@N07/?saved=1

Thanks again.........

Brenda Marks #124569 11-13-2010 12:36 PM

Hi Brenda -Edward McNellis at charleston ent. It's a little over 100 miles but chuck town is a lovely place to visit. 843-766-7103 is the office number. He has biopsied me many times in his office. Usually when he performs the biopsy it's cancer for me - woo hoo.
Have you tried asking your current ent to perform a biopsy? He might relent if you twist his arm a little bit. Best of luck to you.

11/1999 SCC tongue - surgery
1/2000 Met(s) in lymph nodes - modRND
2/2000-4/2000 RT ~6 weeks
end of 2006 SCC tongue - surgery
1/2008 SCC BOT - surgery / PEG installed
2/2008 chemo & RT
4/2008 last time I consumed solid food by mouth
airkitty #124596 11-14-2010 11:18 AM
OP Offline

Good Morning

Thank you for the info and sorry to hear that your biopsies come back with devastating news.

I think by pure accident I have it figured out. For a couple of weeks I have been photographing my tongue because of the swelling and so on. Last night I was going through the photos to delete some of them and noticed a lump on my nose in a couple of them. I felt my nose and sure enough there is a very firm lump on top of my left nostril and also the entire end of my nose looks bumpy and the bridge looks wider. It has become almost impossible for me to wear my glasses for about three weeks because they fit too tight and causes pain so I have been wearing them loose on the end of my nose and reading with my head up. I thought this was from facial swelling related to my tongue/mouth.

The ENT put the tube down my nose and said everything was blood red and he said I had acid reflux. I doubted this because I haven't eaten much and mostly soup and bland foods for weeks.
The two things which have concerned me lately is the extreme inner ear pain and sore throat.
This is what convinced me I had oral cancer along with the lump on my tongue and being HPV positive. . When I looked up nasal cancer it actually fits my symptoms more closely.
The symptoms are close to oral cancer.
The thing that puts me at risk for the nasal cancer is I'm an artist and use toxic solvents(sprays) on a regular basis.
It is more of a hobby then anything else. I also had a darkroom for years without good ventilation.
Since the ENT had never seen me before and I was going on about my trouble swallowing and my tongue I guess he didn't notice . So I think it is not what is coming up that is causing the irritation but what is going down.
There also seems to be an excess of saliva lately and my nose seems to run more often.

It does seem the ENT would have seen something suspicious in my nasal cavity so the jury is still out on that one.
Luckily I have a follow up appt. at the clinic tomorrow so I hope they will set up a new appt. with the ENT.

Sorry for the rambling and repeating some things. I'm not thinking clearly lately.

Thanks for your help and I will post when I find out anything definite.

Hugs
Brenda

Brenda Marks #124626 11-14-2010 09:50 PM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Oral cancer moves quickly. If you had a sore for over a year and it was cancerous you would probably have become very ill by now.

Please add a signature when you have time. It helps us to know what treatments you have gone thru. Have you had radiation or surgery and when? Have you had oral cancer before? I went back and read some of your older posts but must have missed this info. To add the signature, click on the My Stuff heading then on profile. Type your info in the box at the bottom of the page.

Best of luck with your appointment tomorrow. Hope it turns out to be nothing wrong.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
ChristineB #124677 11-15-2010 05:27 PM
OP Offline

Hi Christine

I'm very distraught right now because the doctor I saw it was his first day volunteering at the clinic and he said he thought I may be having a reaction to my bp meds I have taken for ten years!!
He said that jaw pain,ear pain, tongue swelling, lesions on tongue, sore throat, hoarse voice were not related symptoms and my suspicion of cancer was because I'm emotional and spending too much time on the internet.
That if the ENT didn't see anything then I needed to let it go.
I am very ill btw.
I'm just going to get my things in order as clearly there is no help for me.
I have no insurance or ability to pay doctors. This was my last hope!

Thanks for everyones time and the best of luck to you.

Brenda

Brenda Marks #124710 11-16-2010 04:25 AM

Brenda call an Oral Surgeon seeing you have lesion on your tongue they should be able to do a biopsy. Tell them your desperate you need help. Let them know you have no insurance setup a payment plan. My biopsy cost $175.00 for the Oral Surgeon and I think $20.00 where he sent it away to be diagnosed. Plus $100 for my first visit. I would be very disappointed if a Dr. turned me away because of no insurance and I was willing to setup a payment plan.

Don't give up....

SCC. of the left lateral tongue, anterior two thirds, T1 possibly a T2.
Left partial glossectomy, left selective neck dissection 4/21/09. Nodes clean, No Rad, No Chemo.

CT Scan 9/11 clean, CT Scan 9/12 clean

Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL. A+.

My hometown Lockport, NY.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912