Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#122561 10-01-2010 11:17 AM
OP Offline

Hi. I'm Steve from Memphis, TN. I was recently diagnosed with Stage 2 oropharyngeal cancer. I begin radiation treatments this Monday. I got this site from Facebook and I appreciate the huge amount of information and support.

I've been reading everything I can find about my cancer online and I feel pretty confident I can beat this. I had a major surgery last year and I came through that pretty well too.

I am looking mostly for information about dietary concerns and side effects from the treatment. Feel free to contact me. Thank you for the site!

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Welcome Steve, Sorry your here but glad you came. I can't answer your questions, I never had radiation. But alot of people here have and will. So take care all I can say for now is EAT, EAT, EAT everything you can for as long as you can.

Wendy
46yrs@ DX 9/16/09 T1N0 SCC of leftlat tongue, poorly differentiated.Partial glosectomy 10/01/09 & 10/16/09 & 11/10/09 60-70% tongue removed, Radical fff, 38 nodes-clear, no rads/chemo. 3 petscans-clear

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Steve
OCF pages on side effects of radiation are here
OCF side effects radiation
For a more general overview of radiation
OCF radiation
Basically the radiation will burn the heck out of your mouth, and you will have increasing difficulty swallowing. Some people get a PEG or feeding tube, others do not and just switch to Ensure Plus or a liquid diet for the duration. Nausea varies, and the first week is a breeze, the second week not so much, and by the third week you are really feeling it which continues for about a month after the TX is done.
So your dietary concern is to get at least 2,000 to 3,000 calories a day and not vomit it up. You can search this forum for posts on any specific subject with the search box on the upper right.
Finally, radiation TX is very doable, heck I even did it twice.
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 10-01-2010 04:40 PM. Reason: add side effect URL

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Steve, welcome. Wendy and Charm both offer great advice. If you're starting rads in just a few days, since you didn't say anything about it, I'll assume you're doing it without a PEG, something I believe most people get in advance if they're using one.

I too went through the cycle without, although it was difficult. As Charm says, your mouth and throat will burn, both inside and out. I found it impossible to swallow anything without first numbing my mouth with viscous lidocaine. Even that was only partially successful, but I made it through. As with everything else about medical treatment, we're all different.

There are plenty of topical creams and such for neck burns. Aquafor is good. Ultimately I was using silver sulfadiazine, an older line medication. It's a thick cream and really helps, especially in the later stages of treatment.

Depending on the kind of radiation you're getting and where, as I'm sure your docs have told you, your parotid (salivary) glands will likely be affected. Again, I don't think there's any way to predict by how much. A lot of us have essentially lost our ability to produce saliva although for many, myself included, some function does indeed come back over time.

Whatever the case it's likely that you'll be dealing with the dreaded twosome: xerostomia aka dry mouth; and mucousitis, aka too much of the stuff. There are various sprays and balms for the former, which you can ask your docs/nurses about. The latter is something you just have to endure. Rinsing your mouth with baking soda in water is helpful for both conditions, but not a cure. Many here will be able to offer specific tricks. I just kept a couple of emesis bowls/cups/plenty of kleenex handy in every room!

Don't tolerate the pain. No reason to live life that way, and there definitely will be pain. Ask your doc for painkillers - as many as you need. Percocet/oxycodone worked for me, I was eating it like candy. I also had a Fentanyl patch for the last few weeks of treatment.

Mainly, just plan on lying around a lot and, hopefully, sleeping! It's a tough treatment but you sound like a guy who's got the right attitude. You don't mention whether you have people to help you - wife, girlfriend, family, etc. Expect to lean on these folks. I went through my treatment alone and I wouldn't recommend it.

And lean on all your new friends here at OCF. These people are the best. I still get tears in my eyes just thinking about them.

Courage.
David 2

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Hi Steve. Welcome to OCF. Im glad you found us thru facebook. I have a post going under the friends tab that lists OCF members and their real names who are on FB. If you would like to be added to the list, let me know. I dont add anyone unless they request to be put on our list.

You will find tons of info here. There is alot of support for people going thru treatments. Feel free to ask questions and to search for info. The main pages have tons of info there too.

My advice would be to eat what you can now. Enjoy those steaks, ribs, mexican foods now. Your sense of taste will change and your mouth will probably get sore. This way you will have no regrets. Best of luck with your treatments.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Hi Steve, welcome to OCF. So glad you found us before your treatments began. I have to reiterate EAT, EAT, EAT as much as you can stand today and throught this next week. As about the third week in you wmay start feeling pain and it may get harder to swallow. I had a PEG because after the 4th week, I could not swallow at all. Most people do not go through what I went through. I am just the abnormal duck who got all the side-effects even the less common ones. Make sure they control your pain. That was my big problem, I tried to be tough because I hated taking medications. I no longer hate taking medications for pain because they got my through the worst of it. Good luck and ask any questions you have.

Angelia
31 at Dx.
DX: 4/30/09, 10/21/09 SCC on floor of mouth,
T1NOMO, T2N1M0
TX: 39 IMRT, 8 cisplatin 11/30/09
PET/CT: 11/03/09: Lymph node involvement
PEG/PORT: 11/09
TX end: 02/01/10
PET Scan: 04/05/10 clear
PEG Out: 06/21/10
Biopsy: 12/23/10: fibrosis
HBO: 01/04/11 - ORN
Baby girl born 11-30-12
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I'd like to add my welcome Steve. Great advice already. You are setting off on a tough road and will need to put on some wait because yiu will lose a lot. Also if you can get family and friends to go to your appointments with you for a 2nd set of ears to pick up on things you might miss, help think of questions to ask or for moral support, it's a major help. Good luck and strength on your journey.

David R. 65 yr old male non-smoker, light drinker, stage 3 or 4, depending on which doc you ask, scc rt. tonsil, 2 nodes, 7 weeks radiation and chemo. No surgery. Teatment ended 3/20/08. PET scan 8/08 showed no cancer.
And now, as of oct, 2010, caregiver to wife, Linda, with breast cancer.
May, 2013, Linda diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer. Enuf already.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Steve:
Welcome! You already are being given some great advice. The two things you can do for yourself right now is continue with your research and learning (What a great resource in this site) and eat as much as you can as often as you can. Do not worry about calories or fat, etc. Your body will burn it up as your defenses come up for not only the cancer but the treatment. If you have a PEG tube let it become your friend! You MUST continue to take in calories and keep strength. All of the advice given by the group is important as you begin your journey towards getting better!!!
Stay in touch and best wishes!
Steve F.

Last edited by Steve F.; 10-03-2010 08:52 AM.

SCC right side BOT/FOM; DX 1-25-06; Neck dissection/25% of tongue removed 2-17-06. Stage 2 Recurrence 7-06: IMRTX35 & 3X Cisplatin ended 10-18-06. Tumor found 03/18/13; Partial Glossectomy 03/28/13 left lateral tongue. Nov. 2014; headaches,lump on left side of throat. Radical Neck Dissection 12-17-14; Tumor into nerves/jugular; Surgery successful, IMRTX30 & 7X Erbotux. Scan 06-03-15; NED! 06-02-16; Mets to left Humerus bone and lesion on lungs-here We go again! Never, Ever Give Up!

**** PASSED AWAY 10/8/16 ****

Hi Steve

I am also in Memphis. Feel free to jump in and ask away. I was treated at UT Cancer.

Kevin

18 YEAR SURVIVOR
SCC Tongue (T3N0M0) diag 06/2006.
No evidence of disease 2010
Another PET 12-2014 pre-HBO, still N.E.D.

�Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. It matters that you don't just give up.�
Stephen Hawking

Hi there Steve,, as you already know these members have all given you good advice. Keep a positive attitude and as you have EATing is the best thing you can do for yourself. I was never one to just sit and sleep but kept busy outised or in and igored the Drs adivce to take it easy. The Drs didn't like it at 1st but now say they wish all of their patients would keep busy, drink a lot of water and keep the smile going. I never have complained to any of them and still don't > Hell I'm no Dr and just let them do what they have to. You have many great boosters here and trhe list will grow as time passes. If you ask, someone will give you the answer. Good luck... Jim

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

I could have added that I'm sure no typist, LOL but I think you can see that.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users