Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Gerri Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

My husband has withdrawn the past couple of weeks, granted his ability to communicate has changed but he is withdrawing more and more. He will just stare ahead, acting like he can't hear and sometimes won't even respond to questions I ask. I have to nag to get him to hydrate, eat, exercise his jaw, etc. His treatment is going very well with minimal side effects.

I do all his care for him, he can't bring himself to care for his skin, trach, feeding, meds, etc. He has to do some of this himself but won't. I'm worried about trisimus.

I am exhausted so resilance is decreased but would it be wrong to get mad at him? Ignoring seems rude but I understand depression is to be expected.

Last edited by Gerri; 09-22-2010 03:47 AM.

CG to sp age 53
4/10 BOT IVb
6/10 Ttl Gloss Lrngectmy L Mndbltmy 5+ Nodes
7/10 Cispl & Rad
1/11 recur lung mets
2/11 Clin Tr Erb Carb 5FU last 5/11
7/11 Tumor growth began wkly Bleo, Taxol, Carbo
10/28/11 Hospice; Passed 11/7/11
"OCF Down Under"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Gerri, I can relate to what you are talking about here. I've spent almost 2 years now trying to get Steve to care as much about his health as I do. It gets exhausting and frustrating. During treatment our biggest issues were showers, calorie intake and oral care. I felt like the biggest nag. In the end I had to back off and let him learn the hard way. He's a grown man so I had to let him learn and he did. But still even now he can be difficult. Especially when it comes to doctor's appointments. If he could continually reschedule them I'm sure he would.

Being a carer is one tough job. Some days I feel like Steve's mother, not his wife. But what he goes through and has gone through is harder. So normally I get my point across then leave it up to him to decide what he wants to do. And yes I have had and still do have moments where I get mad and frustrated with Steve. I'm human after all. But to get where we are now it's all been worth it.

Does your husband have someone he can talk to? It sounds like he is depressed so maybe there is a social worker or someone in his health care team that he can talk to. Take care of yourself Gerri and any time you need to vent come here and do it. I did and it helped alot.

Wife to Steve 43. DX 5 May 09. T4N2MO SCC tongue, floor of mouth, lymph nodes & jaw bone
No surgery
Teeth removed 06/07/2009
radiation 13/07/2009 x 7wks
chemo 15/07/2009 x 3 Cisplatin
last TX 28/08/2009
25/11/2009 PET-lymph node activity.
08/01/2010 CT Scan-ALL CLEAR
03/03/2010-Peg removed
01/2013 left side of Jaw removed and replaced with pectoral flap.
23/12/2020 scan show lesion in tongue
01/2021 SCC stage 3 base of tongue diagnosed
01/03/2021 chemotherapy started.
Gerri Offline OP
OP Offline

He is a stubborn one and would never talk to anyone let alone admit he's depressed. However, just knowing that others have experienced same helps me more than I imagined. Thank you!! I'll continue to be patient with him. This board is a Godsend!

CG to sp age 53
4/10 BOT IVb
7/10 Cispl & Rad
1/11 recur lung mets
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

It is not uncommon for us patients to develop some form of depression post Tx. Mine was mild and I soon got over it but some have posted here theirs required meds. For me post Tx filled my head with "what now" questions and certainly the chance of recurrence haunts us all the time, especially early on. Even the slightest sore throat scares us no end. Add to all that our general state of weakness; our poor taste, lack of appetite and dry mouth and who wouldn't look at the dark side of life.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Gerri, after reading your signature and post I understand how your husbands behavior could be like this. He has gone thru so much more than most of us on here. I can sympathize with the chemo/rads and mandibulectomy. The mandibulectomy is a horrendous operation!!!! So many times afterwards I had wished I never went thru with it, the recovery and pain was awful. It made chemo and rad look like a walk in the park. Then on top of that he did get the chemo and radiation. Poor guy. My heart goes out to him and also to you as the selfless caregiver. Thats such a thankless job.

At the very end of chemo and radiation is when he will feel the very worst. Even if his side effects are slight, he still could be having fatigue and hearing loss is quite common with cisplatin. At the end of my chemo/rad time period, I wanted to quit tx and just go to bed and stay there. I did stay in bed, not depressed, just so tired it was an effort to take a shower. Talk with his doctor about what you are seeing and ask the doc what can be done. In just a few weeks after the rad is over he will start to recover. The hearing loss is a permanent thing. Ask to have his hearing tested.

Please dont forget to take a few minutes each day to take a deep breath and relax. Best of luck to you both.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Gerri, I agree with Christine about talking to the Dr. Sometimes, meds to get you over the hump can be quite helpful.

There was a point with Dave where I wondered where my wonderful husband went and if he was going to return. I don't know where he went but he's back, thankfully. Believe me, during that time my frustrations and fears were through the roof. And the guy I would normally lean on was the one causing it.
If he won't talk to someone, maybe you could consider seeing someone. It certainly helps to vent.
Don't feel guilty about getting mad, this disease sucks all the way around...

CG to Spouse BOT, Chemo and radiation started on March 29,2010
Ended on May 14,2010. LET THE HEALING BEGIN!!!
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi, Gerri,

When my husband had just finished rads, he developed a post rad infection. The resulting surgery and HBOT just wore him down. At a follow up visit, I mentioned his emotional state privately to his surgeon. The surgeon was able to talk to my husband and reassure him that if he needed help, he could set that up for him. That conversation alone seemed to go a long way in acknowledging how truly difficult this whole head and neck cancer trip is.

The nurses at HBOT were also wonderful at drawing Clark out of his low. There are many people who can help you and your husband get through this trying time. Ask for help.

As for depression, I am the one who became depressed! As a caregiver, it is important for you to receive the help you may need for yourself. My PCP was my lifeline and she recognized the change in me, diagnosed it as depression, and prescribed medication.

I hope things improve for both of you. All my best�

Anita

Anita (68)
CG to husband, Clark, 79,
DX SCC 11/07, T4N0Mx, PEG 1/08, RAD, post rad infection 3/08,
HBOT 40 dives, ORN, Surg 11/09 mandibulectomy w/fibular graft.
Plastic Surg 4/10, 12/10, 3/11, 10/11, 4/12, 10/12. All PETS clear,
PEG out 1/11. 6/11 non union jaw fracture
Fractured jaw w/surgery 7/14
Aspiration pneumonia 7/21, 10/22
PEG 7/21
Botox injections

Gerri - It's true, depression seems to be common in recovery both for survivor and caregiver and often the one suffering from depression does not even realize it. During my son's recovery, I had heard that some meds can cause suicidal thoughts and when I mentioned it to my son, he checked his prescription bottle and sure enough, there it was in the warnings section. He talked with his doctor who told him in his case he would be alright and right after that he seemed less depressed, probably it helped just knowing that it was something to be expected and that he could handle it. Don't forget to take care of you, too.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Gerri Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you so much for the advice! You've helped me put things back into perspective and I know my attitude influences his so you've snapped me out of the "sads"--I couldn't buy better therapy! It seems so obvious but don't know why I didn't consider the possibility of post treatment blues for Jim. I'm going to take your advice and check into things the docs can do to help him through this.

CG to sp age 53
4/10 BOT IVb
7/10 Cispl & Rad
1/11 recur lung mets

Glad you are feeling better Gerri. Thats what OCF is all about, helping people get thru this. There have been several caregivers who have taken antidepressants to help them deal with the horrors of this awful disease. Best wishes for continued healing and better days are ahead of both of you! Dont ever forget we are here to lean on when you need us smile

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Canuck"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi Gerri,
As a sole caregiver, with no other family members, I understand how exhausted you must be feeling. Gordon fell into a terrible depression, with anxiety and panic attacks, after he completed treatment. He finally started taking anti-depressants, and while not exactly Mr. Happy (which I wouldn't expect under the circumstances), it did seem to even him out, so he wasn't hitting the lows anymore. As for me, I've experienced the full spectrum myself, to the point where I questioned my sanity at times. I also have a guy who didn't take a lot of responsibility for his recovery, and I've had to nag, scream, cry, ad nauseum, to try and get him to do what he needs to do for himself. He is doing better now, though. You need some help and so does your husband to cope with the enormous emotional and psychological issues that can go along with this hideous disease. Talk to his doctors and ask for a referral. Best of luck, Anne

Anne - CG to Gordon (59), non-smoker/non-drinker. SCC, BOT, HPV 16+, stage 3. Jan./10 - radical neck dissection to remove 48 lymph nodes, 1 node pos. Apr. 23/10 - finished 35 rad. and 3 cisplatin. Jul. 22/10 - PET scan clear.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics