Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

Hello everyone,

I'm here seeking opinions and recommendation on ENT doctor in Los Angeles area. I was referred by my primary physician to Dr. Paul H. Toffel in Glendale, CA. Supposedly he's pretty well-known in the ENT community but I have no way of checking on that. I'm just wondering if anyone here on the forum has been seen by this doctor, or know of people seen by him? I live in downtown los angeles but I would not mind travel anywhere in the county for the best ENT doctor.. I'd greatly appreciate any info anybody has on Dr. Toffel or recommendation for a good ENT doctor.

At the moment I'm very scared because of a slightly swollen bump on the rear left-side of my tongue. It hurts, but does not bleed, and doesn't look all that abnormal(no discoloration or ulceration) but just swollen and does protrude a little. My primary physician is concerned because it not only look suspicious, but she could feel just a little bit of flap underneath the lump. In addition, I've complained of similar sores/pain in the same general area in the past, though none were swollen like this time. She thinks it's best for get a biopsy done by ENT so they know for sure what's in that bump. I'm really crossing my finger and hoping for the best...

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Peter. Welcome to OCF. Has your lump been there for over 2 weeks? If so then thats when the ENTs or oral surgeons do biopsies. That will tell you for sure wheather you will have to go thru treatments which can include surgery, radiation with or without chemo. It can be done but lets hope you dont have to go thru any of those things. OCF doesnt put its name behind any doctor recomendations, however, you may find someone who has seen this doctor. Do you know what hospital they are associated with? You can look them up on the hospital website. You would want to see a doctor who is affiliated with a major cancer center. Here is a list of the countrys best cancer centers.

http://oralcancerfoundation.org/resources/index.htm#centers

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Peter,

My husband Ron is a throat cancer survivor and he goes to UCLA. It is one of the best comprehensive cancer centers in the Nation. My husband mainly sees Dr. Gerald Burke who is the head of the Head/Neck Dept. But all of the Doctors there are excellent, they make a top notch team. If you can I highly recommend you go to UCLA.

Hope this helps,

Shelley

Caregiver to husband Ron. Throat Cancer. Finished 35 radiation treatments on 11/21/04. 8/2/11 small lesion on lower gum, laser Procedure to remove. 3/6/12 Doc. removed another lesion on outside of his neck. Did a skin graft from his chest to replace the skin on his neck. Went to Heaven on 6/24/12.
OP Offline

@Christine: No the lump has not been there for more than two weeks. However I've had recurrent pain/redness in the exact same spot in the last year or so. I think the recurrent issue is what got my primary physician worried. Also it's been more than 5 days and the swell has not gone down. Would the doctor only perform biopsy after two weeks? I really hope he'd do a biopsy right away...I need to know now frown

@Shelley: Thank you for the info, I will definitely contact UCLA and see if Dr. Burke is available. Hopefully he'll be within my insurance's network too.

Thank you both Christine and Shelly!

Peter

Hi Peter,

I'm so glad you're going to contact UCLA. Keep us updated OK?

All the best,

Shelley

Caregiver to husband Ron. Throat Cancer. Finished 35 radiation treatments on 11/21/04. 8/2/11 small lesion on lower gum, laser Procedure to remove. 3/6/12 Doc. removed another lesion on outside of his neck. Did a skin graft from his chest to replace the skin on his neck. Went to Heaven on 6/24/12.
OP Offline

Hello All,

I've returned to the forum for more advice. I'm now face with a dilemma: I successfully made an appointment with ENT Dr. Gerald Berke at UCLA in October (thanks for your recommendation, Shelly!), which I really look forward to. From my research, UCLA is indeed one of the top medical facility in the nation. However, it is located at west Los Angeles. I live by myself in downtown los angeles, which is not that far from West Los Angeles (and I certainly don't mind the driving to receive top notch care). However, none of my friends or family are in west LA. Most of my friends are in downtown or east los angeles county, and my family in orange county. My concern is that should I need treatment, it'd be difficult to find people who can give me ride because of the distance. I'm pretty sure that most treatments will knock me out and they won't let me drive or operate machinery for that day. I've had a colonoscopy done before, and they won't even let me take a cab home after the procedure, somebody had to pick me up.

I heard USC also has a cancer center (Norris Cancer Institute?), but it does not seem to be as well-known and prestigious as UCLA's medical center. However USC is much more public-transportation friendly, and should I need someone to pick me up, I'd have plenty of options amongst my friends.

So what should I do at this point? I want to be seen by the best, but I'm afraid that no one will be around to help me should I need treatment. Please help, I really appreciate any information you can provide.

I'm also getting nervous by the day...the lump on my tongue stopped hurting, and it doesn't seemed to be getting bigger. But it's still there, and if I push on it I can feel a tiny little knot, not hard as a rock but pretty solid. It's been a week already, I've never had anything like this before. Also I start to feel my throat is getting tighter too, like something's stucked under the throat when I swallow. It could be due to my acid reflux which used to be a problem for me in the past, maybe now it's back because I'm so stressed...

Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hey Peter.
My advice to you would be to make appointments at both places and see who you are comfortable with. In my sisters case we went the NYC which is about 45-90 minutes away from us depending on traffic. Yes it is a pain in the butt to drive there everyday for her radiation but it gives you piece of mind knowing you are going to the best. A lot of hospitals have social workers that can set up many things for you like housing and transportation. You can also contact the cancer society for help in those areas.
As for now I would also take it step at a time. It isn't cancer until a biopsy says it's cancer.
Much luck!

CG to Sister (42). Smoker quit @ diagnosis Dx 4/20/10 SCC T2N0M0, Rside of tongue Hemigloss R neck dis, all nodes removed 6/2/10, Trach and NG in, home 6/8/10,8/18/2010 start erbitux x6, 30 IMRT end 10/11/10 with only 3x erbitux due to reaction and one week off of rads
1/10/2011 Clear PET!!!
OP Offline

Susan,

Thank you so much for your prompt and sound advice. You're right that it's the peace of mind knowing I'm getting treatment at the best facility. I suddenly realized how stupid my question was - if I really do have cancer, the treatment would probably need a lot more than just having rides to the medical center. In that sense, the location of UCLA or USC does not matter so much since both are relatively local to me. And I'm definitely being insensitive complaining about ride issue when I'm local to one of the top cancer treating facility in the nation. If this offended anybody here at the forum I sincerely apologize. In the mean time, I'll try not to freak myself out before even seeing the doctor in October...

IF you have cancer then you can call the American Cancer Society who can help you with transportation to treatments. That is, IF you would need treatments, not every cancer patient has radiation. This is getting way ahead of yourself. First you will need a biopsy to know if you have cancer. A cancer center is the place you would want to be treated, the link is in my previous post. We are here to help you, its never too early to be prepared. Go out and live your life, dont panic. We have all been where you are right now and its not fun not knowing. But you cant completely dwell on this, go out and stay busy. Hopefully you will not need our forum.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OP Offline

Hello All,

Just want to give a quick update. I saw Dr. Berke at UCLA, and after a thorough examination of my oral cavity he believe my tongue problem was a result of teeth grinding at night which led to tongue being bitten. I concur with his analysis, as it seem logical and I learned from my research that teeth grinding happens frequently when one is under stress (i.e., me). However I forgot to mention to him that there's also been a lump on my left neck that also feels swollen when I touch it. In fact, one of the co-symptoms I had along with swollen tongue is painful left jaw/heck. I will not jump to conclusion at all on this one, but I do want to have it checked out by my primary physician. I'm also dealing with several other unexplained symptoms but will leave that out of this forum.

Thank you all so much for your help and support. I really do appreciate it.

Peter

Hi- It has been 6 years since my forearm flap L hemiglosectomy T1N0M0 and 3 years since we left LA and moved to Westchester Cty NY. I have been examined every 6 months by a good ent locally and everthing is fine. I was treated at UCLA where theu have excellent docs and treatment. I was under the care of Keith Blackwell who is a surgeon and he rebuilt my tongue after stage 1 SCC hemiglosectomy. Other docs wanted to just do the hemig since few do the proceedure. I am cancer free in NY at Sloan Kettering and the marvel at the work! NOTE- Someone has to be CAPTAIN of your treatment team, they will figure it out with you. Regards, GOOD LUCK Howard

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Peter, sounds as if you're getting great advice from a good doc. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's just what you say it is, teeth grinding! Let us know what your primary says about the lump.

For the record, I'm being treated by docs operating out of St. John's Hospital in Santa Monica (although one - the MO I saw a few times - is a UCLA professor) and they're top notch. We're lucky to live in a city with great medical personnel everywhere.

David 2

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18

Hey Peter,

So glad you were able to see Dr. Burke and that is great news! He always does such a thorough exam on Ron...we think he's the Best!

All the best,

Shelley

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users