Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#120964 08-25-2010 07:34 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

OK, so I had partial glossectomy surgery and total neck dissection in March, 6 weeks of radiation therapy, my speech is all screwed up, and my doc says my Pet scan shows a "hot spot" in my mouth. He wants to see me and said, we might have to biopsy. If I could spit, I would, because I am so mad and angry and upset! I did not go through all of this hard work and treatment to hear that I have a "hot spot." My mom says I should not jump to conclusions, but what could this possibly be? Any silver linings or other explanations would be totally appreciated right now. Since it has only been 11 weeks since my last radiation treatment, could that have a bearing on a pet scan? Could scar tissue or something similar make a difference? I'm scared, but mostly mad. Help!

Barb

Teacher aged 48, SCC Left side and floor of Tongue, Dx December, 2009. Stage II T2 N0 M0 Successful partial glossectomy surgery with thigh flap and neck dissection 3/8/10. 6 weeks of radiation tx ended 6/30/10. Happily surviving!

"Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere."
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

It "ain't cancer until they say it's cancer"....Jim had a lot of "hot spots" right after radiation, but just reach in deep and hang in there, Barb!

Paula

Caregiver to Husband 50 yrs.young-non smoker/non-drinker; Stage IV - all treatments stopped August 2009
Lost the battle November 23, 2010
OP Offline

Oh, Paula, thank you so much for your response. I've been waiting all night for something positive to read. I went to the posting, Don't you hate it when....." and got some comic relief, so I'm starting to cheer up.

I'm reading into this that "hot spots" could mean "O.K." or "normal." What was Jim's dr's follow up to his "hot spots?" and were they on his Pet/CT?

Barb

Teacher aged 48, SCC Left side and floor of Tongue, Dx December, 2009. Stage II T2 N0 M0 Successful partial glossectomy surgery with thigh flap and neck dissection 3/8/10. 6 weeks of radiation tx ended 6/30/10. Happily surviving!

Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hey Barb, some of the folks that have been around much longer will be on to give you more facts but we were told by the MO that PET Scans can have "hot spots" for a variety of reasons. And that after radiation there is a high rate of false positives. I think it is prudent for your doctor to follow up but keep in mind, it can certainly be something besides cancer.
Hold on to that sense of humor...

CG to Spouse BOT, Chemo and radiation started on March 29,2010
Ended on May 14,2010. LET THE HEALING BEGIN!!!
OP Offline

Susan,
Bless you for this post. I was hoping that this might be the case, but did not have the opportunity to ask all of the right questions when my surgeon called me today. I was so ready for him to say that all was clear and good, so the shock made me lose my mind. 10 minutes later, after the shock wore off, all these questions flooded my brain.

On a good note, my life has been blissful. After several interviews, I finally landed a teaching job in the most wonderful school. I was worried that with my speech issues, that I would never teach again. I have been on cloud nine for the past few weeks, then this bad news.

Although I sobbed for 15 minutes on the phone to my mom in the King Soopers parking lot, I got up, dusted myself off and started singing, "Don't worry, 'bout a thing, cuz every little thing's gonna be alright." (Bob Marley) and I felt o.k. again. It's the fear of the unknown that still has me bothered, I guess.

Anyway, I feel better after having read your post. Thank you again.

Barb

OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

If you look back through the many years of threads we have had more people than I can count have their docs get them PET scanned too soon after treatment, and have hot spots as a result. Your body is still healing, that means there are cells in that area that are burning sugars (what a pet scan finds) like crazy. I would bet anything that this is just too close to your treatment to be a scan of any value.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
OP Offline

Thank you, Brian!
I tried to find something in past threads to confirm this, but didn't have much time last night. Your confirmation is very comforting. The posts from Susan and Paula were quite instrumental in allowing me to fall asleep last night as well. I am genuinely appreciative for the feedback and will take it easy until I get a clear scan. I love this site. You people are so wonderful!

Gratefully yours,
Barb

Yep, Hot spots show with Pet Scans and it does scare you until you learn it was just a false positive. I think a lot of us have had those occur. I almost had one surgery canceled for a false reading and had to see a couple of more Drs before they operated.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I have had many PET scans. Like Brian said about the scan tracking radioactive glucose utilization, while you are healing there is a lot of that in the radiated areas. My doc and I have looked at these images over the years and we almost laugh now. The heart and tongue are nearly pure muscle that even in their calmest state still have very disparate sugar utilization compared to "normal" tissue like a leg muscle for example. Relax as much as possible as often as possible. Take care.

11/1999 SCC tongue - surgery
1/2000 Met(s) in lymph nodes - modRND
2/2000-4/2000 RT ~6 weeks
end of 2006 SCC tongue - surgery
1/2008 SCC BOT - surgery / PEG installed
2/2008 chemo & RT
4/2008 last time I consumed solid food by mouth
OP Offline

Thanks EZ and Airkitty!
I feel so much better today after a good night's sleep and all of your experiential words of wisdom. I am scheduled to see the doc on September 13th and we will look at the scans and inside my mouth to investigate further. How soon should I ask for another scan? I think I saw a thread about annual scans, but maybe 6 months would not be a bad idea for my next one. I am anxious to get the "clear" one everyone rejoices about. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel
13,106 Registered Users