Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

Hi:
I'm 44, non smoker non drinker, I do a lot of sports everyday. I have done 6.5 weeks of radiotherapy and a huge first dose of cisplatyn (200 mg) at the startup of the treatment. No more chemo were given because my tonsil cancer was HPV 16 and the chemo gave me very bad reactions (mouth sores, infection, anemia...). I didn't need PEG tube but I have had a lot of difficulties to eat. I lost no too much weight because my initial body weight was very high 265 lb and I only lost 20 lb mainly of muscle because no sport training.

Now 7 weeks out of treatment I have returned to the gym and I'm
jogging again. I am not taking painkillers because I have not too much pain. I have a dry mouth but the worst is during the night. During the day I can take little sips of water. I need also little sips to swallow any food I put on my mouth. I have some pain in the place were the tumor was. It was located at my right tonsil (4.5 cm x 2.5 cm).
Now 7 weeks post-treatment I have like a withe sore in the point where the tongue meets the right tonsil pillar.

I think 7 weeks is not too much time to all the pain would disappear but I would like to hear any experiences of people. My doctors say this pain is normal but I prefer to hear this from any patient who has passed the same treatment.

I have a CT scan for the middle of September but I' more afraid for my white sore. I make think about recurrence or sometimes I wonder if the radiotherapy wouldn't kill all the cancer.

Best regards ad sorry for my poor English.

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Ray, Welcome to OCF. Congrats on finishing radiation. At the 7 week post treatment point, you still have alot of recovering to do. The full recovery can take 2 years. Everyone recovers at their own pace and some bounce back very quickly. Sometimes, big improvements are made early while other large improvements come at the 2 year mark. It all just takes time and everyone is different.

The white spot could be many different things including scar tissue. Make sure you bring this to your doctors attention right away. You are very fortunate to be a case where HPV+ was likely the cause for your cancer. Those groups have a higher rate cure and of no recurrances. Very rarely a HPV+ person will have a recurrance.

Being only 7 weeks post treatment, it is normal to still be in some pain. Also the dry mouth will most probably continue for some time yet. Patience and good nutrition will help you get well. Best of luck with your continued healing.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

HPV+ or not, get it checked out.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

Hola Ramonet - You have some good advice above. It does take a while and more for some than others but anything that looks different should be checked out with your doctor. In my son's experience doctors thought it might be from HPV-16, too, but he was never tested for this. He did have a lot of painful sores and dry mouth problems. At night, for the dry mouth problems, what helped him was to get a "Plant mister" which is like a spray bottle with water in it but used for misting plants. He would just leave it by his bed and when he woke up, would spray his mouth and throat and that seemed to help him.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

OP Offline

Thank you all.

I've been checked two weeks ago but the problem is that even for a doctor it is difficult to judge at a glance if this white zone is bad or not. Perhaps it would be necessary to do a biopsy bad certainly it is too early to do it. My doctor said that in that zone was the main radiotherapy target and that's the reason for this white patch. It would be a very bad luck that being the main target the cancer wouldn't have been killed completely there, but it is possible.

I look this white several times per day and it seems not to grow. I don't know how much time I would expect to do a biopsy.

A biopsy would be a very good idea. Thats the only way to tell if it is cancerous. Best of luck.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

I finished treatment (35 radiation treatments and three doses of Cisplatin) for SCC base of tongue HPV+ March 29. I developed a whited patch on the side of my tongue several weeks after. It was painful and it seemed like I was always aware of it. My ENT said it looked like a virus and it would probably go away. Well, it took about 10 weeks, but it's finally gone! Good luck!

SCC BOT HPV+ diagnosed via neck bump and directed biopsy's January 2010. PEG in 2/2010. Finished 35 radiation treatments and 3 doses Cisplatin March 29, 2010. PEG out 6/2010.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hello Ray. You have a lot of good advice from others here. I will only add that for the dry mouth, which may continue for many years, if there is anything available in Spain similar to our Biotene brand dry mouth products, the mouthwash and gel have helped enormously at night.

David R. 65 yr old male non-smoker, light drinker, stage 3 or 4, depending on which doc you ask, scc rt. tonsil, 2 nodes, 7 weeks radiation and chemo. No surgery. Teatment ended 3/20/08. PET scan 8/08 showed no cancer.
And now, as of oct, 2010, caregiver to wife, Linda, with breast cancer.
May, 2013, Linda diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer. Enuf already.
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hello, I am about 2 weeks ahead of you and have the same treatment issues. As you can see from my profile we had the same cancer in the same spot with the same treatment except I had two more doses of chemo. There is one spot that still gives me pain and it is also a white spot in the area where I recieved the most treatment. My ENT and radiation doc both scoped me and told me not to worry. I get my 1st post treatment tx pet at the end of the month. The only thing i can think of is 1. it just takes some of us longer to heal or 2. We are not drinking enough water at night and then when we swallow it's like sand paper back there and it is preventing that one are from healing. Keep in touch! Good Luck!

Charles

Charles

HPV +16 Right Tonsil SCC with 1 Right lymph node. Tonsillectomy and neck resection.

Got 33 radiation doses via tomo machine (58 gry to back of throat, 65 gry to right neck, and 56 gry to left neck) with 2 cisplatin and one carboplatin due to possible hearing loss.
OP Offline

Hello again:

5 months after the treatment. My first CT in September was good.

Now the problem is that my white spot on my tonsil pillard was dead tissue. Last week I had a little infection and a crater-like hole has appeared on my tonsil fossa. My radiotherapist has said that it was dead tissue that was necrotized. I was terrified because I was thinking the cancer had returned.

Now the problem is this crater in my tonsil pillard. My radiotherapist say that it will be difficult to refill by itself. What do you think? Is there any kind of surgical procedure to resolve this crater?

The size of the crater is like a coin (1 cm diameter) and the problem is that each time I eat some food deposits on the crater and I need to remove it. I use syringe with water to remove the food.

Please give me any information.

Last edited by Raymonet; 12-14-2010 03:32 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users