Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
maxie Offline OP
OP Offline

I am 42 years old and waiting for biopsy results. I am a little nervous and have a few questions. This seems like the place to go. Here is a little information.

I bit my cheek hard about a year ago. I remember this because it was the hardest I ever bit my cheek in my life and took a while to stop hurting. Sometime afterward I noticed a bump. It looked like a blister on the inside of my cheek, where I bit it. The bump would increase in size and decrease often. Sometimes within the same day. I didn�t think that was characteristic of cancer, so I never had it looked at.

Fast forward nine months later and I was in the dentist with my son, and mentioned the bump. The dentist looked at it and said I should have a biopsy because it has been there so long, but let the oral surgeon evaluate.

I went to the oral surgeon this week and he too agreed for a biopsy. In fact he ended up removing the whole lump. It was about the size of a peanut. I tried to get out of him, if he thought it was nothing or it looked suspicious. He would not really say either way. He said the pathology is really the answer. When he did my exam and looked around the rest of my mouth and checked by neck glands and my bite, that was all normal.

I work in the medical field, so I see people everyday who never thought they would be where they are, and I admit I am a little scared. The area where he removed the lump is sore and I have a little pain in my jaw.

My husband just says, he knows for sure it�s nothing. But he lives in denial world always, where nothing bad will ever happen.

I think what is making it worse is, I have been thinking for a while, that I wasn�t living how I wanted for a few years now. I have been too afraid to make the changes, mostly career changes and finding more time to enjoy life. I kept thinking I would in the future. But now I think, if it is cancer, I will regret how I lived my life the last two years. (stressed, rushing through things, hating my career, always secondly guessing my decisions)

So here I am and I thought I would ask a few questions. Sorry, I know I sound kind of schizophrenic here with all these thoughts.

Do the biopsy results really take a week or more?

Has anyone here had their cancer start on the inside of their cheek?

Did you feel a little anxious waiting for results? And start reevaluating your life.

Anyway I know this was long, so thanks for reading and any support you may be able to lend. MaryAnn

Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

The waiting part is bad for all but do try and calm down while you wait until the path report comes back. It can take up to 2 weeks so please try and forget about it...won't help anything anyway, you know.

Were you a tobacco user?

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
maxie Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for responding David. No I never used tobacco, so hopefully that lowers my odds.

I just thought it could never be cancer, because the lump would swell a bit and decrease, and never got bigger in diameter, so this came out of the blue for me.

You are right, what is, is. So nothing I can do but wait and google oral cancer and treatments until I am so scared I pee. smile

Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hey Maxie,
So glad you found this site. Don't be afraid to ask away. There are so many helpful people here. Unfortunatly pathology does take that long. It can be nerve racking but words I always follow are
"out of site, out of mind". Spend this week with friends and family during a nice dinner out. Enjoy that movie you have wanted to watch. It will help a lot. You are blessed with a wonderful dentist who decided right away to do a biopsy which is huge. Please keep us posted on the results. Many prayers coming your way.

CG to Sister (42). Smoker quit @ diagnosis Dx 4/20/10 SCC T2N0M0, Rside of tongue Hemigloss R neck dis, all nodes removed 6/2/10, Trach and NG in, home 6/8/10,8/18/2010 start erbitux x6, 30 IMRT end 10/11/10 with only 3x erbitux due to reaction and one week off of rads
1/10/2011 Clear PET!!!
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi,

I know exactly what youre going through...I am 27 and doctors jacked around with me for almost 2 months before getting me to a biopsy, and it took about 6-7 days and then they would not tell me over the phone. I too felt the same about my life wasting away and not doing what I truly love doing and trying to start a family. I got the results back positive for carinoma and about collapsed, and yes my life has literally flashed before my eyes every single day since then.

The questions, why was I so selfish? Why did I not help more people or care more about peoples feelings? I was mad at myself that it took a situation like this to wake up. But you will be fine, just stay tsrong! that is key!

SCC left lateral tongue, left neck dissection. 2 nodes positive. 3 All Clear then ITS BACK 8/23/11 Shows 1cm in tongue in CT SCAN, Radial Free Arm Flap with Radical Neck Dissection 9/20/11 , All Nodes Negative, But Tongue Tumor Poorly Differentiated. Awaiting next step in treatment on 10/5/11... RIP Nate 7/28/12
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Maxie. Welcome to OCF. I hope your results come back with no sign of cancer. Waiting can beagony, try to keep yourself very busy to keep from worrying. Worrying has never changed the outcome of a test result so keep on with your regular life.

My first cancer appeared to be a cancer sore on the inside of my L cheek. I was in shock when it turned out to be SCC. Here I still am 3+ years later.

Best of luck with the biopsy.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
maxie Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you so much for your replies. No one else really understands. My husband will not even consider it can be cancer. He won�t even say the word. My parents want to know every little detail and they are making me nervous. A friend who had breast cancer just always returns the conversation to her situation.

It�s just so hard to wait.

Christine, did your bump get bigger and smaller at times? Or did it remain the same? Mine would never go away completely, but appears to swell and fill-up again. I know everyone is different just checking. Thanks

My 'canker sore' remained the same. It took at least 3 months for it to grow into the size of a pencil eraser tip.

You will find out who you can count on when you have cancer. Close friends will dissappear while acquaintences will become the ones you depend on. Some people will avoid you while most wont have any idea what to say or do to help. IF it is cancer, make a list of everyone who offers help and tell them later you will need them.

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Maxie,

You will read this line over and over on this site---it's not cancer until the pathology says it is. Your husband may be waiting until the path report comes in before he reacts. That's okay. Your parents naturally are concerned. There isn't a whole lot you can do until you get the path results. No sense in worrying yourself sick. You WILL deal with it, whatever it is. AND I hope that it is nothing. However, you have found a safe haven here at OCF. Lots of people have been where you are.

All the best--
Anita

Anita (68)
CG to husband, Clark, 79,
DX SCC 11/07, T4N0Mx, PEG 1/08, RAD, post rad infection 3/08,
HBOT 40 dives, ORN, Surg 11/09 mandibulectomy w/fibular graft.
Plastic Surg 4/10, 12/10, 3/11, 10/11, 4/12, 10/12. All PETS clear,
PEG out 1/11. 6/11 non union jaw fracture
Fractured jaw w/surgery 7/14
Aspiration pneumonia 7/21, 10/22
PEG 7/21
Botox injections
maxie Offline OP
OP Offline

I just wanted to stop by and say thanks to those of you who took the time and tried to reassure me. As I am sure you understand, waiting for the results to see if you have a life threatening condition can be nerve-wracking. I tried to forget it, but I don�t do well with the unknown. I would rather know what I am dealing with.

I met with the oral surgeon today, for a follow up, to see how I was healing. The pathology report came in and it was sitting right there. The assistant said she was not allowed to tell me the results. I waited five minutes�. No doc. Eight minutes� No doc. Finally I thought, screw this and got up, opened the envelop and read the results myself before he came in. It stated some stuff, which I had no idea what it meant, but at the bottom the report said �No evidence of malignancy�

Diagnosis was a mucocele. He said the report stated there was no minor salivary gland found in the tissue or something like that, so it may grow back, but who cares? I am just so relieved.

I wanted to come back here to say thanks for being part of this forum and welcoming scared people, like myself. It says a lot about your character to try and help someone else, when you have your own issues to deal with. I don�t know if I could be so gracious.

I will continue to keep you in my prayers. Thanks

Congrats Maxie!!!! So happy the results are negative.

Christine
Clear PET 1/08
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
3wks medicly inducd coma
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
OC 3x in 3 years

Oh Maxie that is FABULOUS news! And I just love ya for opening the damned thing and getting the results.

D

Aunt diag. 2/4/10 with SCC Stage I/II on left side of tongue. Surgery 2/19/10 part. gloss./neck diss. on left side/free flap from chest muscle. TI/II,NO,MO. Clear margins with perineural invasion. Started rads 4/8/10 - 35 treatments, finished 5/26/10.

I am just SO-O-O happy for you, Maxie! And I got a big kick out of how you found out the results!! Sometimes, 5 minutes can really seem like 5 years. Good for you! There are some pretty wonderful people here, that's for sure.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Dear Maxie,

Great news! Now get busy livin!!

Hugs,

Shelley

Caregiver to husband Ron. Throat Cancer. Finished 35 radiation treatments on 11/21/04. 8/2/11 small lesion on lower gum, laser Procedure to remove. 3/6/12 Doc. removed another lesion on outside of his neck. Did a skin graft from his chest to replace the skin on his neck. Went to Heaven on 6/24/12.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users