Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
ccinyuma #120485 08-16-2010 11:32 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Carolyn,

Glad you found these forums, welcome! We shared the same surgeon and Nurse Practitioner (Carol) as I had surgery done at the UW. Glad to hear you are doing well and living life.

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
vanessav #120495 08-17-2010 05:54 AM
OP Offline

Thank you Eric for sharing the video and Carolyn it is so nice to be in touch after watching your video last night. I hope to share it with my mom soon. It's funny because my mom actually looks very similar to you and it really gave me an idea of how she may (I hope!) look after she is fully recovered (which is fabulous by the way!!!) As all of you know, my mom has and is experiencing very low points but we just keep trying to move along. Question for Carolyn and others - Did the dr. have to remove the nerve that controls the function of your lip during surgery? They did in my mom's case and she was wondering about drooping, drooling, etc. I can see it's already a problem but they said that radiation may help tighten up that area. Thanks and talk to you soon!

vanessav #120512 08-17-2010 09:57 AM

Vanessa,

The facial nerve (C7) splits into several branches after it comes through the facial canal, one of which is the buccal branch that controls the orbit of the mouth.

In my situation during the mandiblectomy/fibular free flap surgery my facial nerve was damaged just as it exited the facial canal (which is really close to the mandible) and it paralyzed the entire right side of my face. I was told this could be a complication before the surgery due to how close they had to come to the facial canal and how large of area my tumor took up. Due to this complication, my lip droops on my right side, as well as other issues as the entire right side of my face is down. I actually had to have a gold weight surgically implanted in my eyelid as it no longer would blink...I've got "bling" on the inside smile

The drooling/drooping will never go away on it's own...what your Dr maybe referring to is that radiation can cause the loss of soft tissue that does "tighten" the area and over time the buccal muscles will atrophy due to lack of nerve impulse causing them to shrink, but in my case it hasn't made it less noticeable.

Eating and drinking will be an issue for several reasons. The buccal branch not just controls the ability to close your mouth but also fires the Buccinator muscle that contols the cheeks during chewing..as well as other muscles that help facial expression and even your nasal flaring. After two years I've learned to adjust to this and can eat most things, but I carry napkins with me all the time and wear darker shirts as it is messy to eat and drink.

Now, there is something that has a chance at correcting the issue though. I had an operation done at the University of Washington Medical Center by Dr. Kristen Moe that has a chance of reenervating my facial muscles. The do a C7/C12 switch, a nerve graft, basically replacing the damaged part of the C7 (facial) nerve and replace it with part of your C12 (hypoglossal or tongue) nerve. In my case they had to use 100% of my C12 to graft into my facial nerve to give me the best chance of restored facial function.

I'm still in recovery from the surgery, it takes over 12 months before they'll be able to tell whether it worked or not, however it gives me a chance at restored facial function. My attitude anymore is I really don't mind if it works or not...I've learned to adjust to the challenges that the paralysis poses. However if it does work...great, I've got my face back.

Hope that helps

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
vanessav #120515 08-17-2010 10:22 AM

Thank you, Vanessa. My Drs. at UWMC did a better than anticipated job on repairing me. No, Dr.s didn't remove or cut any nerves, however, the right side of my face is mostly numb & also half my tongue, so a nerve was certainly damaged or bruised. Drs. said if feeling didn't come back in a year, it wouldn't. So I've dealt with it. I've watched myself talk in the mirror to know what letters, words & expressions cause my mouth to distort the most, and try to not stress those sounds. Kind of like when your in a car singing to music & you don't want anyone to see you doing that so you don't exaggerate the sounds or words? Most people don't even notice, but I do because I remember what I looked like before. But, you know what? it's a small price to pay to still be here. Initially, I was prepared to be very disfigured because that was what several Drs., & the internet, told me. I accepted it because I wanted to survive. Dr. Futran made me feel he could get the best possible results, & when I saw the 'during surgery' photos, (which wasn't until the video was being filmed), I couldn't believe the team could even put me back together again! Try to encourage your Mom to be patient. The facial changes take place slowly over time. After she's gotten thru the shock of her surgery, & treatment & is on her way to recovery, there are some wonderful plastic surgery procedures that may help correct some of her appearance & other issues if they still exist. I did have some drooling initially, like the first 2-3 years, so, when I'd eat, I'd always have a tissue in hand to dab my right lip. I don't have that so much anymore, but am still careful to check my face. You see, I can't feel when something is dripping down that side, so checking it often is a good policy for me, wherever I am. On the brighter side, I like really spicy foods now because only half my taste buds work, you know, because of the tongue thing. So I have to be careful when I cook for others! laugh

Just this year, because my right cheek was still sunken a lot from all the tissue removed around the tumor, I decided to have some of my fat injected into that area. Now my face is a lot more symmetrical & I feel much better. It still droops a little if I'm especially tired.

Please give your Mom a big hug for me & I will pray for her. Another thing, when your Mom has low points, try to be upbeat & compassionate but don't have a pity party. Cancer cells love emotional low points. My nurses always told me that getting thru cancer is 90% attitude & 10% treatment, & I believe it. smirk

CC
EricS #120516 08-17-2010 10:56 AM

Wow, what a coincidence? Dr. Futran & Carol are the BEST!

My dog & I are leaving on a long road trip 8/23 & going to visit my uncle, 74, in NM, who recently was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins lymphnoma, & another friend, 34, in CO who's has had cancer & Drs. just found a different spot which was biopsied yesterday. Then on to visit friends in Boise, mainly one, 70, who's still trying to bounce back after fallopian tube cancer. She had a 14 lb. tumor growing before Drs. figured out what it was. I'll make my way up to MT & Spokane to see former mother-in-law, 83, who had lung cancer surgery 2 years ago. I hope to see Dr. Futran & Carol when I go over to Seattle then work my way down to Bend to see friends & family there & especially a friend, 77, who is just getting over breast cancer. Then on to Lodi, CA. where I'll see a previous stranger, 65?,now friend, who heard about my diagnosis from ?? & called me to encourage surgery. He had squamous cell cancer, also found under a tooth, & had surgery right away & is still cancer free now 8 years. At the time, he emailed me photos of his appearance after surgery, which convinced me to go ahead with my surgery a.s.a.p. His surgery was the same as mine except on the opposite side of the face & Drs. opted to cut down the middle of the chin. Dr. Futran chose to cut ear to ear on me. I do believe that CANCER has touched everybody's lives in some for or another. It's just a dreadful disease but thank God for the available treatments & for friends, family & forums for support.

CC
vanessav #120517 08-17-2010 11:00 AM

Vanessa, just had another thought. For your Mom's low points, one of my friends loaned me several old I Love Lucy videos to make me laugh. Laughter is very uplifting, so you might think of something like that. Comedy is great medicine. It helped me.

CC
ccinyuma #120554 08-17-2010 08:00 PM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Carolyn, you are beautiful!!!! I was so amazed at how wonderful you look after having that type of surgery. To be honest, I am quite a bit jealous smile Ive had similar surgery and it originally failed and it had to be redone. The end result is not very attractive at all. I am discussing more surgery with my plastic surgeon to redo my jaw sometime in the near future. Your video gave me hope. Thank you for making it!!!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma