Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
knine Offline OP
OP Offline

hey guys thanks for the info i am starting to become obsessive/compulsive myself so from your guys experience does it spread rather quickly? or does it linger for years and then gets worse slowly? also does it get bigger and smaller throughout the day? sorry if i am offending or upseting anyone i just need closure either way

knine Offline OP
OP Offline

hello everyone just an update i made a apt with a oral surgeon on the 2nd of August and hopefully it will give me closure either way I have been extremly anxious i cannot stop rubbing my tongue across this bump/lesion through out the day i feel at times its soft/softer and times its hard does this sound typical of oc? thanks for help again

knine Offline OP
OP Offline

hello everyone sorry for these posts i woke up today and the right back side of my jaw feels swollen is there a lymph node located there?

OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Oral cancers do not come and go, and usually do not change much once a lesion begins to develop except to get bigger, not bigger and smaller as you described. Yes there is a lymph node behind the angle of your mandible, but please remember that the lymph nodes job is to drain out all the toxins and cellular debris that come from everyday infections and more that your immune system is dealing with as a matter of regular daily life. That one of them gets swollen and sore is no big deal. As a matter of fact, cancer related nodes are PAINLESS, hard, and feel fixated in place, and you can't easy push them around like you can with a normal node. Soft nodes are normal and are Good.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
knine Offline OP
OP Offline

Brian thank you soooo much!!! for replying I have been losing it all i do all day is run my tongue across the bump to look for change in size and then the lymph node today i just about lost it! I know you all have your own problems and I greatly appreciate you taking your time out of your day to help me with mine!

"OCF Down Under"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Never be sorry for asking or feeling scared. I am and it drives me crazy, it really is normal.
Tone

lyph node positive 10/08
Parotodectomy 4/09
Rad six wks 65 grey
Pet scan clear 03/10 no primary
Pet 01/10 base tonge primary
CT 3.5 Tumor 01/2010
radical tongue reconstruction
with forearm flap 2/10
severe Trismus 06/10

Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Sorry you are having to deal with this. I will be keeping you in my prayers that your visit on 8/2 will give you some closure in finding the answers to all your questions and that you will not have oral cancer.

Nancy T

CG/Mom: 5 1/2 years SCC upper palate,4 recurrences, surgeries, chemo & radiation. Mom went to Heaven 1/21/11.
knine Offline OP
OP Offline

hello everyone i just got back from my apt with the oral surgeon I told him my concerns and expressed to them i am concerned it could be oral cancer they just looked at it under the light with the little mirror and said mandibuler tori and no need for a biopsy he did not even give me a chance or give it a thorough examination....i thought today was going to give me closure but now i dont know what to think 1.this doctor was being lazy and did not want to help me 2.he was a professional and knows what hes doing..do you guys think i should make another apt with a different oral surgeon?

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I had a great oral surgeon who spent a lot of time with me. He was not able to figure out what I had (and was the second doctor who said I did not have cancer), but he did send me to an ENT who was able to diagnose me.

If you feel uncomfortable with your doctor and don't think he was professional enough for you, go ahead and make an appointment with a good ENT in your area. You are your own best advocate and doctors are not gods.

A second opinion should help you get some peace of mind. Looks like you still have some misgivings. Having said that, it appears that you got good news today. Let�s hope that continues with a second opinion.

Kelly
Male
48, SCC (Soft Palet) Rt.,
Stage 1, T3n0m0,
Dx, 8-09, Start IMRT 35 9-2-09 end 10-21-09
04-20-10 NED
8-11 recurrence, node rt. neck N2b
10-11 33 IMRT w/chemo wkly
3-12-12 PET - residual cancer
4-12 5 treatments with Cyberknife & Erbitux
6-19-12 Pet scan CLEAR
12-3-12 PET - CLEAR
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi Knine... wonderful news!!! Since you've gotten several opinions and the latest from an oral surgeon who I'm sure is familiar with various issues of the mouth... I hope you can relax and be grateful. Did the oral surgeon say if there is anything they can do for tori if it continues to bother you?

I thought about you several times today and was just delighted to log in and see your results.

HUGS

Dodie

Aunt diag. 2/4/10 with SCC Stage I/II on left side of tongue. Surgery 2/19/10 part. gloss./neck diss. on left side/free flap from chest muscle. TI/II,NO,MO. Clear margins with perineural invasion. Started rads 4/8/10 - 35 treatments, finished 5/26/10.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users